Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 02:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,315 times

Advertisements

Has the American Dream Become Our Nightmare?I recently came across the above-referenced article about Home Partners of America facilitating potential home ownership for individuals with less than stellar credit.

As of October of 2015, I was one of those individuals excited about potentially owning my home here in Southern California, I make 130k a year and after the completion of a two-year lease with an option to purchase arrangement with Home Partners I received approval within days. The process was quick and fairly easy, the agent is a resident of Long Beach and knew the area well, we were house shopping for months to find the perfect house. He was absolutely phenomenal! He went above and beyond to keep everything running smoothly kept me informed every step of the way once we found the perfect house 45 days later escrow closed we were moving our dream house. Finally security in our life.

However, after an unfortunate business calamity affected my ability to make my $2,900 per month lease payments, by late December of last year, I found myself spinning out of control simply trying to find someone at Home Partners with whom I could speak personally and directly in an effort to keep myself and my 16-year-old daughter in our home, and thus maintain some stability not to mention the stress load on a single parent.

By February 2016, the whole thing unraveled, and I found myself out of my home, having lost my $8,000 deposit, and devastated. That this transition can occur so quickly is something about which I believe others should be forewarned. Simply put, when things are going smoothly and the lessee is able to timely make his or her payments, everything is just fine. However, one finds him or herself in a bind, they should be aware of the complexities of the situation. No one should lose their home because they didn’t understand the court ordered stipulated judgment even though I had the money the payment was due on a national holiday. When I attempted to make the payment the next day after a federal holiday, a 5 day notice was placed on my door.

1. As a practical matter, Home Partners of America is a virtual landlord, which appears to be based in Illinois. The property management company it chose to represent its interests in connection with my home was based in Texas. There was no local office or person with whom I could communicate. Not having someone respond to your inquiries or calls is very disconcerting, as opposed to going to a physical management office locally, between, let’s say, the hours of 9 am and 5 pm. The tenant is placed at a severe disadvantage operating in a virtual world when it comes to housing. They ought to at least have the opportunity to plead their case, with a human being knowledgeable with the facts of their tenancy, before standing before a judge about to get tossed to the curb;

2. The only person with whom I had contact with the authority to communicate or negotiate anything on the landlord’s behalf was their locally retained law firm, after an unlawful detainer and collection action was filed. As a practical matter, that law firm was not going to doing anything against Home Partners’ interest, and most likely do whatever necessary to generate its fees and get paid. It seems to me that the typical layperson tenant is operating at a severe disadvantage vis-à-vis an experienced attorney in landlord tenant litigation. In my situation, the virtual landlord’s agent and attorney presented me a complex legal document to sign at the time of the hearing on the unlawful detainer. In my view, for the virtual landlord to present such a document to an unsophisticated layperson tenant, without an attorney, smacks of unfairness, no matter how business - savvy the tenant;

3. In criminal proceedings, where defendants face the potential loss of liberty, our system of justice ensures that the criminal defendant has the right to counsel, and if they cannot afford one, they can be appointed counsel to represent their interests. Although the loss of one’s home is not quite as dramatic as the loss of one’s liberty, it is pretty darn close, and there are all sorts of negative ramifications associated with the loss of one’s home. I believe that consideration ought to be given to the provision of counsel (or, at a minimum, information adequate enough to enable the layperson tenant to make responsible decisions). In looking back on it, there is no way a tenant / lessess in my situation should try to represent him or herself, without the assistance of an attorney; and

4. We should be concerned that our system allows a judge to be a participant in the administration of purported justice, but does not require the judge to ensure that the defendant layperson tenant / lessee fully and completely understands his or her rights, and makes sure that they do not unwittingly waive any important rights.

In theory, a tenant / lessee could make 7 of 8 payments, or 12 of 15 payments, and yet find him or herself in the same situation, to wit, unable to communicate with a virtual landlord, with an out of state property manager, both of whom were unresponsive to communications, and contact only with the attorneys representing the virtual landlord, while standing before a judicial officer more interested in the processing of cases as opposed to ensuring that the less sophisticated party fully understood their rights.

I think that this issue is one of universal appeal and concern. It is not a Republican or Democrat issue, and neither a poor tenant nor more prosperous tenant issue. It is a people issue. Im currently working with a United States Assemblyman to help change the landlord tenant law and make change within judicial policy. Upside fantastic program downside is when tragedy unexpectedly strikes and you need time, you have a better chance of nailing jello to a tree then to receive a call back from there legal department.
Should you have any interest in discussing this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email]SaveMy1924Bungalow@gmail.com[/email].

Respectfully,

Wehrle Ct, Long Beach Ca 90804

#HomePartnersofAmerica
#pathlight management
#home#design#homesweethome#summer#sunset#happiness #casa #house #vintage #relaxing #livingroom #homedecor #love #myhome #beautiful #sun #beach #sand #ocean #fun #friends #california #beachlife #longbeach #losangeles #belmontshore #longbeachca #legal #law #lawyer@AppLetstag #justice #lawyers #judge #tired #attorney #court #legal #lawstudent #university #business #working #advocate #accident #criminal #law #educate #aware#home #design #homesweethome #summer #sunset #happiness #casa #house #vintage #relaxing #livingroom #homedecor #love #myhome #beautiful #sun #beach #sand #ocean #fun #friends #california #beachlife #longbeach #losangeles #belmontshore #longbeachca #legal #law #lawyer@AppLetstag #justice #lawyers #judge #tired #attorney #court #legal #lawstudent #university #business #working #advocate #accident #criminal #law #educate #aware#family#kids#

Last edited by MissAllen; 06-25-2016 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: fix hashtag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,181 times
Default Poisoned by Home Partners Of America

HOME PARTNERS OF AMERICA, BLACK ROCK INC, KOHLBERG KRAVIS ROBERTS & CO, KKR, PATHLIGHT PROPERTY MANAGEMENT **** I WILL NOT STOP UNTIL JUSTICE IS DONE. THEY TOOK EVERYTHING MY HOME, MONEY, MARRAIGE, HEALTH, MONEY AND EVERY POISSESION WE EVER OWNED****BLACK TOXIC MOLD COVER UP
We were convinced that fixing a few things on credit due to bad divorce is best so in the meantime we could purchase a home through Home Partners Of America with Path light Management as the company to delegate repairs and monthly payments. We were told when we asked about home inspection prior to purchase that the investor *Home Partners of America* and their Management company *Path Light Property Management* will handle all that. As it states on their website they do the inspection and do not purchase homes with pre existing problems such as mold etc. The realtor and her assistant stated to us when we questioned about the home (Owners daughter just moved out a few months ago) come to find out from the neighbors as we are the laughing joke not just in the neighborhood but the town, the home had been vacant for almost 3 years. Due to so many issues related to the home. Shortly after move in I started to become very ill and then housebound. Could not think, see, hard to understand me when I spoke I basically thought I was dying and NO DOCTOR could figure out what was wrong!!! Rashes all over my body from scalp down, BURNING, ITCHING, stabbing. Very tired but cant sleep due to wanting to crawl out of my skin. I could no longer drive. With no family neighbors pitched in to help with my son, groceries and meals. Before moving in we went to the home while the contractors were doing the make ready. We questioned downstairs office in regards t the beveling of the wall as if someone was inside and trying to get out. We questioned the black coming out of the cracks and opposite wall with black draining out of cable jack? We were told that was due to clogged gutters and dirt from vacancy. Painted over. After almost two weeks or so of living in home ***(All 3 AC units out!!! No dishwasher NOT EVEN BOLTED IN, Oven not working, Plumbing issued ETC.)***Path lights inspector came to due walk through and we stressed our concerns since walls were turning again and we were told "this will be reported and addressed ASAP" NOTHING!!!! Shortly after move in became ill and then worse and worse no Doctor could figure it out . I even flew to California to the University Irvine to see if someone could help me. 2 days prior to leaving a neighbor out of concern came over to ask me if I had ever gotten the walls in the home office addressed. If not they are truly concerned and recommend for us to have it tested threw a licensed state analyst for black mold. When I came back from California the results came in and two of the worst types TOXIC BLACK MOLD!!!! I HAD BEEN POISONED!!!! Funny Home Partners Of America/Path light Property Management contact you once you report to them the news "O WE ARE SO SORRY WE WANT TO HELP IN ANY WAY" then nothing!!!! You put your SAVINGS INTO FIXING UP THE HOME THINKING YOU ARE GOING TO PURCHASE AT YEAR MARK. Nope they don't care!!!! You cant work!!!! You lost all that money and medical bills stacking up, marriage is in shamble, and you no longer are that parent who was once involved. With no family or friends to stay with you are advised you have to leave your home which splits your family APART (YOUR WHOLE WORLD) and they don't care!!!!! Realtor wont return calls nor help to relocate you as they made their commission and P.S. buy the way we will take your call if YOU PAY MORTGAGE!!!!! So I hired a home inspector because no one will give you a copy of **(SO CALLED ORIGINAL)** the one they state on website the do prior to home purchase, and also to you that was done. So out of your **(YOUR POCKET)** AGAIN more money!! You come to find out the home has Toxic Black Mold in more that just one of the locations than the two areas you suspected!!! Quest Analytic s (HIGHLY RECOMMEND GREAT CO.) not anyone of them care**(HOME PARTNERS OF AMERICA?PATH LIGHT PROPERTY MANAGEMENT)** nor will they have a full home testing done. In the mean time you NEW OF A WONDERFUL LIFE 8 MO. AGO and NOW its all torn to shreds they don't care. WHERE IS ARE MONEY??? THEY new that this home did not pass inspection!!!! BUT they put us in the home thinking we were despite, gullible, and they WILL ALL PROFIT!!!! PER OUR HOME INSPECTION 3 DAYS AGO ***(AGAIN MORE MONEY OUT OF OUR POCKETS)***THIS HOUSE IS NOT PASSABLE AND UNSAFE!!!! I have emails stating from a manager the dropped the ball on OTHER?MORE issues with the home. WE EVACUATE WITH NOTHING NOTHING LEFT EVERYTHING NO WHERE TO GO!!! We were then told they are so sorry they want to help ****STILL NEVER SEEN ANYTHING***** the ONLY help from them would be to take a smaller home that we would NEVER pick/NOT SUITABLE for our family*****MORE EXPENSIVE 1/2 SIZE**** DID NOT TAKE IT! Received call to meet senior VP at home (4 guys ) show up take photos inside outside **(YES WE EVEN HAD MOLD GROWING ON OUTSIDE OF HOME)*** I was told this was the first they heard of the issue BUTT out of Senior VP'S mouth he states he viewed pictures and read report DATED 2 WEEKS after move in!!!! They new and chose to not do ANYTHING because they will not spend money in repairs!!! **(THAT WILL TAKE OUT OF THEIR POCKETS)**Your LIFE MEANS NOTHING!!!! They want you to sign a gag order and the ONLY concern is not to speak out and show proof!!!! MONTHS LATER WE ARE STILL LIVING IN A HOTEL AND THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING!!!! I m still having the medical issues and life will NEVER be the same!!!!Please fix credit issue and do your own loan!!!! THEY WILL SUCK YOU DRY RIGHT TO THE CORE AND NOT EVEN BLINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE REALTORS LOVE THEM BECAUSE THE MARKET IS SLOW AND THEY ALSO PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT!!!! SAVE YOUR FAMILY, MONEY, HEARTACHE, LIFE, MARRAIGE, AND EVERYTHING THAT MEANS ANYTHING TO YOU!!!!!
IM TIRED OF FIGHTING THIS UNBARABLE PAIN

Old 12-13-2016, 07:59 AM

529 posts, read 646,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coollipo33 View Post
We were convinced that fixing a few things on credit due to bad divorce is best so in the meantime we could purchase a home through Home Partners Of America with Path light Management as the company to delegate repairs and monthly payments. We were told when we asked about home inspection prior to purchase that the investor *Home Partners of America* and their Management company *Path Light Property Management* will handle all that. As it states on their website they do the inspection and do not purchase homes with pre existing problems such as mold etc. The realtor and her assistant stated to us when we questioned about the home (Owners daughter just moved out a few months ago) come to find out from the neighbors as we are the laughing joke not just in the neighborhood but the town, the home had been vacant for almost 3 years.

Sounds like you have yourself to blame. Why would you buy a place without having your own inspection.

Sure, if this happened then the company is awful but come on!

A purchase as big as a home and you're taking someones word that 'everything is okay'?

Old 12-13-2016, 08:49 AM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
I don't understand why this is in the Chicago suburbs forum. The first post is from California and the second lives in Texas.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:20 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Home Partners of America is a scam of a company and I caution anyone from using them!

So let me start by saying we did not use them to rent. They wanted to buy our home for a rental property! This company goes around buying up homes and rents them out and also offers rent to own options. BUT they are complete scammers!

A renter came and saw our home we had listed at $390K. They the went to HPA for them to make an offer. They offered us full price CASH, but we needed to close in 30 days. The renter would then give them a SIZABLE down payment and would have a rent to own agreement to buy the property from them in years. Didn't matter to us, we just wanted to sell. We accepted and everything was going fine. HPA asked for an extension to the "wait" period. My lawyer said this company makes it there way or they will back out of the deal. The day before the wait period or lawyer review they pulled out stating they didn't like the HOA rules for rentals?? There are no rules. I was on the board! My lawyer said they probably just used that as an excuse. At that point we were supposed to close in weeks and had already put money down on an apartment since our new home had a few months to go before being ready. We lost that deposit. I have seen numerous complaint on this company taking peoples down payment etc. Very bad ratings. We got a second offer days later so everything worked out, but in my opinion just a terrible company in general!

Old 12-25-2016, 07:43 PM

903 posts, read 862,286 times
MissAllen,

It appears you have learned a valuable lesson. Don't go up against an attorney pro se. The judge is likely a former attorney in that court and is simply another cog in the Industrial Complex that is Family/Criminal/Civil court. It is simply there to extract monies from the participants and redistribute that wealth to the attorneys. "Fairness" is not a doctrine of our legal system in the way you think it is.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,036 times
I've reported Pathlight and Home Partners to the DOJ, I suggest that everyone else join in and shut them down, once and for all! They say they are licensed in Texas, which is not reciprocal in any state in the U.S. I couldn't even find Real Estate licenses in Texas! check your state DBPR, or Real Estate commission in your state, file a complaint there and in Texas, against your agent and Pathlight, then the DOJ! This will grease the wheels of justice, and take down Mr. Goldsmith, in Chicago (Home Partners of America) and his partner, who collapsed the real estate market, so they could buy homes on then courthouse steps and rape the homeowners! DO IT! It's the only way to stop this horrid treatment of fixing their homes and profiting from it! SHUT DOWN PATHLIGHT PROPERTY MANAGEMENT AND HOME PARTNERS OF AMERICA! The 2 faces of those companies are OPPORTUNISTS, and they are stealing money from the renters!!!!!
This company is run by opportunists, liars, thieves, and they hire illegal labor to fix problems, that they are not qualified to fix!

Let's put them out of business, NOW! DOJ complaint form, on the internet! If you guys step up, the DOJ will have a full investigation to work with. They have already opened one for me, don't make me stand alone! There is power in numbers!

Last edited by msadkins2323; 07-31-2019 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: more info.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,036 times
Default Pathlight Property Management and Home Partners of America

These thieves hit me for $11,500. I have reported unlicensed activity in Florida, Texas and the DOJ. Please join me in taking these opportunistic thieves down! Report to your state AG and Real estate standards boards, Texas AG and Real estate standards board, and most of all, the DOJ! NOW! Stop complaining, ACT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: