Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 30,598 times

Advertisements

My fiance and myself are moving to Chicagoland in the next while. He'll be working in Buffalo Grove, but we'll be living in Elk Grove Village. I have two concerns.
1. Not many teaching jobs appear to be open at this point in time (of course, it's January). Does anyone know if districts will open up toward the end of the year/summer?
2. If I had to leave Cook/Dupage County to teach in Kane County, is the driving distance/time high from Elk Grove Village?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 02:26 AM

3 posts, read 22,361 times
Default Good Luck

HI there
I am currently an elementary ed major. I have been in college for seven years now in Aurora (which is a suburb of chicago)
I thought I would give you advice and heads up with school districts and what not.

It is very hard to get a teaching job in the chicago suburbs right now! Unless you are a middle school science or math teacher. Or you are bilingual (spanish) or you are going to work in special ed! Usually there are no job openings until late spring. Even then you can expect at bare minimum of a few hundred applicants for one el ed. job.

Do not expect to just turn in your application online and be hired. You must make yourself known but not a nussiance. I would suggest (advice from teachers) to apply online, call the principal, drop off a hard copy resume to the principal. Anything that will make you stick out like a needle in a hay stack.

As far as a drive from elk grove to kane county. With rush hour traffic in the mornin I would allow 35 min to 50 min. This also depends where in Kane county you are talking. If you are talking districts such as Kaneland (that is out in the sticks and allow more time!!) Or are you talking Aurora, Batavia (these you can expect 35-50 min *sometimes more*) Depends on traffic.

School districts really vary out in chicago suburbs (the environment, pay, class, etc) From my own personal experience and everyone is different I find these descriptions best fit the schools/districts

Wheaton/Warrenville (Dupage) They pay really well across the salary board and good pay raises, not too much yuppiness here (some)

Naperville 203/204 They are one of the highest beg. salary in the areas. However this high pay doesn't come "free" if you catch my drift!

If you are more down to earth type of person I would personally look into Kane County (GREAT COUNTY) This would be Batavia, Geneva, St.Charles, Aurora, (be careful with Aurora *west side schools alright, east side- not so much), Kaneville and i think parts of Elgin

Or look into Kendall county but a little further from where you are living
This would be Oswego,Yorkville, Plano. These districts will be one of your best bets because these are GROWING communities. Most of the other districts mentioned are pretty established so not a high demand for teachers.

Dupage county is a great county and they pay pretty well.

I don't think it will be so much where you would like to work it will be a matter of who is hiring and how bad you want a job.

I hope I have helped you out at least a little. If you would like any additional info or resources just let me know and I'll try to lend a helping hand
Take care

Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
I am a teacher in Houston certified for 4-8 generailst, which includes middle school Math. How in demand are teachers in the Chicago area for middle school math as I am frmo there originally and may move back with my family. My other concern is if Illinois would even consider my Texas certificate worthy.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:35 AM

I do teach special ed, so hopefully, that'll make a difference in getting hired. Any help I can get regarding proximity to home is helpful. I appreciate it, Stylist.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:27 AM

71 posts, read 289,445 times
Default Egv

I grew up in EGV and have worked in EGV for the past 11 years. Great town & great schools.

I have many friends who are teachers. The districts they are in are 211, 214 and 54.

As for Kane County from EGV that would be a hike but again I guess it depends on exactly where in Kane County.

I do know that 211, 214 & 54 are some of the highest paid districts and as a result it's highly competitive. My coworkers wife just started at 211. She had to start as a teachers asst even though she has all the credentials to be a teacher. Just the nature of the business I guess.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:59 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,655 times
OH ... Taylor ... i had checked our district and was going to reply back that there isn't much, with the exception of Spec Ed.

here's the link District 10 Employment Opportunities
click North DuPage, then All positions

it looks like it's for Keeneyville [Dist 20] .. which is about a 20 min ride

Waterbury i do believe is in Roselle [my sister used to live in Waterbury subdivision in Roselle] and Greenbrook is Hanover Park.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 22,361 times
I know that middle school and high school math is in HUGE demand. You would have no problem with that. As far as the credentials, hmm not sure considering illinois over prepares and expects so much as far as tests, education, etc. That is not a bad thing unless you are moving from another state that isn't as rigid.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:55 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,028 times
Are high school math teachers in high demand in the suburbs? I'll be able to teach any science and math and I was kind of wondering about the job availability in case I decide to not stay at home.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 AM

216 posts, read 723,529 times
Ususally Math and Science positions are more readily available in most areas. I don't know if any teaching position is ins especially "high demand" other than Special Education and Bilingual services. It is pretty competitive for jobs in most Chicago Suburbs.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 PM

Well, a miracle actually happened! I did find a job in Cook County and it's pretty good, so, I have no more concerns about finding a position in Kane!!! Whoohoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs