Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,828 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a new house and it has a wood burning fireplace, but it has a gas hook up to start the fire.

My questions is how hard is it to convert to gas burning, fake logs, since there is already a gas hook up.

I called a local shop and they quoted me $800. Seems a bit high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 12:20 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
The previous homeowners in our house did this conversion and left a copy of the invoice for us, and the price was similar to yours. But it's a nice system that looks somewhat natural, with glowing embers under the fake logs. You can find something that looks really fake for a lot less money.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:13 PM

605 posts, read 711,393 times
Can I ask a dumb question? It is a sincere one. Why would you want to convert to a fake looking gas fireplace? I think real wood would be soooo much nicer? I would be wanting to convert to a natural fireplace if my house had gas/fake logs. Please help me understand why people do this (I never had a fireplace except when I was a kid and I don't have much memory of it, so this is the reason for my ignorance).

Old 12-08-2014, 02:32 PM

The reasons that people like gas are numerous. No storing wood with mice and bugs in the wood pile, no schlepping wood around, very little maintenance, no cleaning ash and soot out of the fire place, no costly chimney sweeping, and you can have fire on demand with little effort.

I probably wouldn't have paid to do it in our house, but the previous owners did, and we like it. But it is one of the more realistic gas fireplaces I've seen, and it has some sort of heat sink that stays hot and radiates heat in to the house. If we want a fire, we just open the flue and light the flame. Piece of cake.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:37 PM

605 posts, read 711,393 times
Well that makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. I seriously had no idea there would be mice in the woodpile. And I didn't consider chimney sweeping. How often does one need to do that with a woodburning FP? We are looking at buying a home with a woodburning FP and now I'm curious as to what that would really entail.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:06 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
It depends on how often you use the fireplace. I have a wbfp and have never used it so I don't get it cleaned. I am thinking of converting it to gas. There is an ease of use factor with gas. I do like the idea of real wood burning so I hesitate. I have had many a fireplace in my lifetime both gas and wb and while wb is nice gas is much easier.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:30 PM

Note that if you convert to gas, you can almost always just convert it back to wood-burning with little effort. Unless they do something stupid when installing it...

Old 12-10-2014, 03:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
People who burn wood often and go through a face cord or more every year get theirs cleaned every season. The creosote can build up and cause a chimney fire, but don't let that deter you from having or using one. I don't even start a fire every weekend, so I can go two years.

I prefer wood burning because of the smell you get from it and the natural cracking you hear from time to time. If you keep your wood away from the house, on a stand so it's raised off the ground, and don't keep any stored inside bringing it in as you burn, bugs and mice are generally not a problem.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:08 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,014 times
In my opinion, woodburning stoves make you feel warmer and more ambient, you only need to clean the chimney once a year if you use it daily in winter season (can do yourself or hire someone) .

Old 12-12-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
In my opinion, woodburning stoves make you feel warmer and more ambient, you only need to clean the chimney once a year if you use it daily in winter season (can do yourself or hire someone) .
I was reading recently that an EPA-certified wood-burning stove is one of the more "green" ways you can heat your home. They were quite common with people who lived on the rural fringe of where I grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: