Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:22 PM

21 posts, read 33,808 times

Advertisements

My family and I need to move to Chicago for 3 yrs for work related reasons. My husbands worksite will be in Parkridge. I have two elem aged children. Schools are very important to us. We are used to living in very clean and safeneighborhoods. We need to rent a home. So what are the good school districts around Parkridge? Should we just rent in Parkridge or find other surrounding cities.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 07:54 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,992,997 times
If you're accustomed to nice, clean neighborhoods, with good schools, then Park Ridge is right up your alley. You'll also have access to the Blue Line for subway transit into the heart of Chicago..

Old 12-03-2014, 08:09 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,528,618 times
It depends on your budget but Park Ridge is a very nice upscale inner subburb. I'm not sure how many rental houses are available though.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:48 PM

Thank you both for your replies. Im not sure if Im being realistic but my budget is 1700

Old 12-03-2014, 09:06 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,102,985 times
You wouldn't be able to afford Park Ridge, but there are other towns where you can afford rent a nice house and still have a reasonable commute to Park Ridge.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:06 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,806,057 times
Default You almost certainly will have to increase your budget...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara le View Post
Thank you both for your replies. Im not sure if Im being realistic but my budget is 1700
Frankly it would be hard to find a family sized apartment in Park Ridge for $1700/mo let alone an actual detached home.

Park Ridge is a really desirable town that is ideally located for folks that want / need to work near public transit into Chicago, or O'Hare or even the greater range of north / northwest / near west suburbs in the region. Additionally there are top notch schools, a lovely mix of shops, dining, local amenities such as parks / library all withing walking distance of the mostly well kept core of town.

Some folks gladly pay about double your suggested budget...

If you are limited to $1700/mo you likely would be forced to choose areas with much less desirability / much smaller apartments.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,102,985 times
You could rent in a town with decent schools and get a decent house, but you won't find anything within your budget in Park Ridge.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:36 PM

520 posts, read 781,619 times
As others have said, you are going to have very few options in your price range.

Your best option is probably going to be a townhouse in a more remote northwest suburb. You can probably find a place in your budget in a nice town, but it will be a pretty lengthy commute to Park Ridge.

We explored moving to the Chicago area with a similar budget for a short term rental with the idea of buying a place afterwards for $300,000ish. Park Ridge was one of the places we really liked on paper.

We gave up and moved to Minneapolis instead. The desirable parts of the Chicago area were just too expensive and congested.

What part of the country/metro area are you coming from? Knowing that may help us make more specific recommendations based on what you're used to.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:21 PM

Thank you all for replying back. My husband really doesnt want to live more than 20 min from work. He will be doing medical research at Luthern Advocate Hosp in Parkridge. We used to live in Ann Arbor MI. Currently we are living in Long Island NY, our move to NY was temporary. Its been a year since we came to NY.

Im not looking for a rich wealthy area, I just want my kids to feel safe playing outside and at nearby parks. I would to be in a clean area. I have a daughter that is beyond her grade level. I just
want her to be in a school that has a good rep.

I guess our max budget would be 2000.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:22 AM

367 posts, read 492,201 times
If you rent in park ridge, the part that falls with Maine South highschool is better than the part that ties in with Maine East. Lutheran general section of park ridge will tie in with maine east. If you are looking strictly for safety than I would say Niles or Des Plaines Unincorporated is a good bet. The school scores are a little lower being this area has many immigrants and ESL. It's very diverse area with many East Indians, Polish, Assyrian, Chinese, and Mexicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs