Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 AM

4 posts, read 5,695 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We will be moving to Illinois sometime in 2015. We will be moving from Overseas and are considering houses in Arlington Heights/Palatine/Mount Prospect as it will be closer to my husband's work. We have a kid in elementary school and a good school is on our priority list. Please suggest what rent should we be prepared to pay for a 2BR home/apartment and what are the other factors we need to consider for home search. Please also suggest some websites/agents so that we can check rental properties. Also which of the above places and neighborhoods should we be looking at.
Thanks !
Neshika.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 04:04 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,954,017 times
Where is your workplace, or is it all over? If it is fixed, try to stay within ten miles (16 km) or along the same Metra train line as the office. Recreational activities are a consideration.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 AM

Workplace is Arlington Heights but he will have to travel quite often. Thanks !

Old 08-16-2014, 08:01 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,961,909 times
I commuted to Arlington Heights for five years, and liked the town. At that time Palatine was a bit rough, and had some gang problems (more than Arlington Heights, at any rate); I think that's still the case. Arlington Heights has a nice downtown area.

A 2BR apartment will run about 1200USD and up from what I see, depending on how fancy you want. Try apartments.com, zillow.com, and apartment ratings.com (the latter to see what people have written about a complex you're interested in). You might also look at house and townhome rentals on Zillow.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:04 AM

366 posts, read 495,156 times
Excuse me PJSinger but explain how when the OP states that a good school is a priority to them, that explaining their schooling options in Illinois is an off topic political rant. Especially when th OP may not be from this country and understand the pros and cons of the educational system.

I suggest you learn to read for content and context in the future. Or are you simply a sycophant for the public education system?

Old 08-30-2014, 05:28 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. We are now looking for rentals in Arlington Heights. Schaumburg and Palatine. We need advice on which school district is preferable. What is better to rent for a family (2 or more Bedrooms preferably) - Townhouses/ Condos/ Apartments ? Kindly suggest.
Thanks

Old 09-14-2014, 12:13 PM

40 posts, read 50,730 times
Arlington Heights (first) School district is great
Palatine (second)

I would never live in Schaumburg (if you have to go the mall there, go only during the week never on the week-ends).

Best option would be a townhome based on your criteria or a house. Keep in mind though that the gas bill can be very high.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,961,909 times
I agree with vsc1976's observations. When I worked in Arlington Heights in the 90s, Palatine had something of a gang problem ... don't know if that is still the case ... Schaumburg's a rather sterile suburb compared to Arlington Heights and the traffic can be brutal. Just my opinion ... given the choice of the three, I'd opt for Arlington Heights.

When you get up into 2-3 bedrooms, a house or town home rental is often a better deal than an apartment ... the price is similar, and an apartment is, well, an apartment; no lawn or backyard, neighbors on the other side of the wall. A 2BR apartment in my complex here in Naperville costs $1300-$1500 or more depending on amenities, for example.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:44 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,291,045 times
Here are the recommended school districts to focus on. School district and school boundaries are independent of municipal boundaries. I have listed the elementary district followed by high school:
Mt. Prospect: D57 or D26/Prospect or Hersey
Prospect Heights: D23/Hersey
Arlington Heights: D25 or D23/ Hersey or Prospect, a little notch below-Buffalo Grove HS. If you are in D21, Cooper Middle School and Buffalo Grove are OK
Palatine: Fremd HS

Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied and gave tips.
My husband recently visited Schaumburg, Arlington Heights and Elk Grove. He was told that AH is expensive while no one recommended Palatine. He was advised to focus on Schaumburg and Elk Grove. Which of these is better considering the following :
1. If either of us needs to commute to Chicago on a daily basis- by the Metra.
2. Good schools - Elementary/Junior High
3. Rent a 3 BR Townhome/Condo in the range of $1400-1600
4. Daily commute to office in AH by car

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs