Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 06:06 PM

38 posts, read 40,015 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I moved to the South Loop last year from NYC. We like this area, but it's a bit slow and we are getting too annoyed with living in apartment buildings (noisy and generally lazy/inconsiderate neighbors). She is pregnant and wanting a home. I am currently working in the Woodridge area, but want to keep my options open for working in the city, as I may switch back to a career where the jobs are predominantly city-based.

Given that she does not intend to work after the baby is born and we are late 20's, I'm hoping to find something between $200-$240k. Townhomes are perfectly acceptable (assuming there is decent noise insulation). We have 2 dogs, so a backyard would be nice. Given the possibility I may work in the city at some point, proximity to a train is important. Young, diverse demographics and interesting things to do would be great as well. Mostly, I just don't want to be stuck in a suburban cliche of chain stores and restaurants with mediocre food and nothing of interest.

We are currently looking in Westmont and Downer's Grove. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:15 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Westmont, Downers Grove, Naperville, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn all could be options. You are not likely to find a good house though at that price point. A town house maybe. Its doubtful a town house will have a fenced in yard or allow them but many have parks and green space nearby.

Here is a nice townhome in Wheaton with a good price point.
2096 Willow Run, Wheaton, IL 60189 (MLS# 08520339) - Wheaton IL Real Estate - ColdwellBankerOnline.com

Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
At your price point I would be focused on Brookfield -- super access to Chicago via Metra as well as easy drive, far more affordable than other towns, lots of activities for younger families (adjacent Brookfield Zoo is top of the list but also good public library, walkable core of town, even more activities in adjacent Lagrange...). You can get a cute Cape Cod style brick detached home with a good sized yard and two car garage for what a townhouse might cost in other areas. As a plus the Hollywood section of town shares schools with neighboring Riverside, which is decidedly more upscale -- 3619 Hollywood Ave, BROOKFIELD, IL 60513 | MLS# 08517234 | Redfin

Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
In addition to Westmont and Downers Grove you may also want to look at Roselle and Itasca near the train stations. The houses there are pretty affordable. I know that the mayor of Roselle is very interested in growing the downtown area there.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 AM

79 posts, read 264,422 times
For affordability, near the zoo and lots to do for young families Brookfield or La Grange Park, Illinois are my favorites. La Grange great restaurants and stores. Closer commute to Loop 20 minutes, easy access. Downers is ok but pricey in areas. Westmont not so much as Clarendon Hills for a better choice. Affordable homes great areas. Going FURTHER west, yes you will get larger home but a much longer commute. You have to weigh the list of what's more important to you and your lifestyle.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 AM

424 posts, read 467,650 times
Berwyn, Forest Park. Maybe Elmwood Park.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:24 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Budget won't make the cut...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoscinski View Post
For affordability, near the zoo and lots to do for young families Brookfield or La Grange Park, Illinois are my favorites. La Grange great restaurants and stores. Closer commute to Loop 20 minutes, easy access. Downers is ok but pricey in areas. Westmont not so much as Clarendon Hills for a better choice. Affordable homes great areas. Going FURTHER west, yes you will get larger home but a much longer commute. You have to weigh the list of what's more important to you and your lifestyle.
The only things in CH are going to be "value in the land" wrecks -- 5647 Western Ave, CLARENDON HILLS, IL 60514 | MLS# 08510812 | Redfin Thing too is that is not even in the area served the desirable D181 schools nor particularly close to the Metra...

Old 04-20-2014, 12:45 PM

41 posts, read 85,930 times
$240,000 for a townhouse is absolutely ridiculous, and anyone who suggests that you should live in an area but "won't get more then a townhouse" is telling you to live in an extremely expensive area. Look at Schaumburg, downtown Des Plaines, or Aurora - note that many parts of Aurora do have "city-type people" in a bad way. (I have no idea what houses cost in Aurora but I do know they have stuff there, and many people out at night.). Elmhurst is a college town so there may be college events, they have two clubs there as well and a few odd-type stores. Arlington Heights does not have "stuff to do" but has many local businesses as opposed to corporate ones. Schaymburg has bars, restaurants, theaters, Woodfield, park events, nature areas, GameWorks, specialty shops, Battle of the Bands, and even Zero Gravity. Downtown Des Plaines has many restaurants and bars, and the Lions Club. Downers Grove has NOTHING AT ALL unless you're geeks it has just that one gaming place, I have no idea why you'd be looking there if you want stuff to do.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:33 PM

165 posts, read 309,731 times
I agree Brookfield could be a good option for you, although I'm not saying at 200-240k is going to buy you a dream house here. It will buy you a good solid house though. Let me know if you have any questions, I have lived in Brookfield for a year and love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs