Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:04 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
More chains with no character
Uh-oh, there's a Weber Grill in Chicago too! Heaven forbid!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 10:17 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Yes there are suburbs, and then there are capital "S" Suburbs. I understand the push and pull factors that are a part of the city/suburb choice. But when I see someone listing a bunch of chains as a great reason to live in a community, I cringe and feel dirty for every being tempted by the good schools and ample space. There has to be better options in Lombard than that! I don't want to be at an Applebee's or P.F. Chang's on a Saturday night out with friends!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:37 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,559,406 times
Quote:
Yes there are suburbs, and then there are capital "S" Suburbs. I understand the push and pull factors that are a part of the city/suburb choice. But when I see someone listing a bunch of chains as a great reason to live in a community, I cringe and feel dirty for every being tempted by the good schools and ample space. There has to be better options in Lombard than that! I don't want to be at an Applebee's or P.F. Chang's on a Saturday night out with friends!

Why not, we did all the time! LOL

There are some cute little stores and resturants still in Lombard. So, it's ok.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
My boyfriend and I currently live in Westmont, but you can throw a rock and hit Oak Brook so I can relate to the snobbery thing. We live in an older apartment that just got bought by Village Green and renovated. We are right across the street from the Mariott golf resort and they sell duplexes that start at $799,000. To me that's insane. Lombard is nice, and having only been in the area for a few months it's still easy to see how much Yorktown mall is improving- they must have opened 5 restaurants and 15 stores just since I have been here.

There are a lot of chains out here, which I just hate. I grew up like that though in a suburb of St. Louis and we would always go to celebrate our birthdays at Olive Garden or TGIFridays. When I moved to Illinois I promised myself never again. Generally we'll head in to the city when we feel like eating out. I am sure there are plenty of non-chains around here, but it's hard to find them and know which ones are good when you haven't been around very long.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
There are TONS of non-chain restaurants around, I was just naming some in the area that someone else posted. In fact, up and down Butterfield Rd is a nice mix of non-chain and chains, and lots of diversity as well (anything from Mexican to African to Chinese to Indian etc). Please dont make the mistake of assuming that most suburban eateries are chains, youd be making a huge mistake.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:14 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,347,141 times
okay....geez....you know, chains are not that bad. I've lived in a lot of places and I swear to you, once you have been in a place long enough and lived in a foreign land....it sure is comforting to see a McDonalds....or a Wal-mart...I can't even tell you....

I've lived in the city and the suburbs....back and forth. I find that most often these sort of comments come from immature people who are trying to prove something about themselves, to themselves even.

It is all about where you feel comfortable.....and its really REALLY silly. We are all in the Chicago metro....Its really one big butt city, if you ask me.

And as for exurbs sprouting up 50 miles away, I hate to tell you but alot of those are cities that have been there just as long as Chicago has. These places are not new.

They may be growing, but so is the population. A lot of the outer "exurbs" are really older cities that are now part of the metro area. They have their own identity and originaltiy, and that is why I like them.

I live in the Chain o lakes area....and I grew up there. I've been all over the place but at the end of the day its where I feel comfortable.

I personally don't like the big suburbs that are more like endless strip malls with annoying traffic patterns, and townhomes.

Lots of the "characer" of the city can be found more in the far suburbs/exurbs than in the supposedly established "suburbs"

Harvard, Fox Lake, Mchenry, St. Charles, Naperville.....they are not "new" places.

Anyway....Lombard....I think it could get this reaction only because it is (or atleast it conjures up the image) of one of those sort of generic suburbs...

absolutley nothing wrong with it (especially if you are just moving here....definitley go for boring and predicatable if your unfamiliar with the area...I mean boring in a GOOD way). Its close to everything and safe....what more could you want when you move to a new place?

Old 11-30-2007, 02:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
rgb123, your arguments are not convincing. To say that a town of 5000 people that blows up into a suburb of 60,000 people still maintains its original character is just ridiculous. It's not immature to rip on the bland landscape of the ex-urbs. It's about wanting more out of life.

Honestly, Oak Brook, Lombard, and the lot are all the same to me. So yeah, Oak Brook has a better mall and lots of stores--that you can easily drive to from other suburbs! For anyone to think they are somehow better than another person based on the municipality their house is in is really ridiculous. I don't understand it. But I do understand being repulsed by the entire suburban experience, and I'm just wondering if that's the "pause" the OP is hearing when she says she's moving to Lombard. And that's why I asked what line of work she was in, because there are some professions that seem to have more disdain for the suburbs than others.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Honestly, Oak Brook, Lombard, and the lot are all the same to me
Oak Brook and Lombard are polar opposites.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,559,406 times
Quote:
rgb123, your arguments are not convincing. To say that a town of 5000 people that blows up into a suburb of 60,000 people still maintains its original character is just ridiculous. It's not immature to rip on the bland landscape of the ex-urbs. It's about wanting more out of life.

Honestly, Oak Brook, Lombard, and the lot are all the same to me. So yeah, Oak Brook has a better mall and lots of stores--that you can easily drive to from other suburbs! For anyone to think they are somehow better than another person based on the municipality their house is in is really ridiculous. I don't understand it. But I do understand being repulsed by the entire suburban experience, and I'm just wondering if that's the "pause" the OP is hearing when she says she's moving to Lombard. And that's why I asked what line of work she was in, because there are some professions that seem to have more disdain for the suburbs than others.

Dude, I"m totally with you on the city being an great experience, and I think city living is great but geez, replused by the entire suburban experience? Come on, that's kind of snobbish to say. And they say suburbanites are soooo snobby. True, lots of suburbanites are, but city folk have their own weaknesses. So, thank you for being the example I refer to as city snobery.

Last time I checked, you can't have a city condo for cheap, that's for sure. And what do you get with a city condo? No lawn or landscape of your own, unless you are lucky enough to live on the top floor with access to the roof. Can't hang out in an open garage watching the football game while fixing your buddy's Chevy 19whatever with your buddies at will. Can you watch your kids play with the family dogs out in the backyard while racking fall leaves?? What about block parties and garage sales and Christmas lights?

Sorry if I get your shorts in a twist, but I guess my point here is maybe what is so repulsing to you is the image that makes suburb snobery what it is as well. Image and status and entertainment value in this case. Though I am not here to poopoo your choice of living. I think that's wonderful you love it in the city!! I really do, but it is irritating to hear how repulsed and horrible the humdrum suburbs are when maybe you or someone else needs to step back and appreciate it for what it is. A place to live.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:13 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,347,141 times
I never said these places always maintain their character...not a big fan of Naperville myself, and having grown up in a place that was nearly rural, I did not enjoy watching my home change and beloved landmarks disappear.

But Lombard is a far cry from the "exurbs" to me lombard is one of the more generic suburbs, and to me that is why I might pause.....I really hate the schaumburg area -- that to me is the "suburbs" that make me feel a bit ill.....

Anyway its not an argument, but yes I do think its immature of many people to think we are all so separated by municipal bounds.....after you have lived here forever you don't see things that way. There is nothing bland about the parks and open space in the so called bland exurbs.

People have lived here for generations and take pride in their homes and way of life, and you could not pay them to move to or back to Chicago where their grandparents or great grandparents may be from.

Its a matter of personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs