Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 22,001 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job that would require that we live in Elgin, IL. (No options for other suburbs--we must live there.) I know from reading previous posts that there are crime and gang issues and a number of people would not recommend living there. I am already aware of that so I don't need more input about that, but I do need specific information about areas that are safe to live in. After searching Realtor.com, I have seen some houses that appear to be in nice neighborhoods. Does anyone have any suggestions about "good" neighborhoods/schools? Since I have never been there, could you include directions that include street names and locations so that I can locate them using on-line maps. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Id recommend the western edge of town first, its nice and new over there. Id steer clear of anything immediately close to downtown Elgin. The near east side is where most of the problems stem. There are some nice areas up near Big Timber Road, all along Randall Road, far east side along Rt. 20 closer towards Rt. 59 (near the Villa Olivia ski hill), and up north of town near I-90 (near Judson College). There are small pockets here and there in town that are not too bad (ie Blackhawk Rd), but overall Id stick to the fringes of town.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:42 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
I have a good friend who enjoys living in Elgin. She lives on a street called Newbridge Circle and I believe it's near Randall Road. I visited her one time (I'm from out of town) and really enjoyed my visit. It's a very safe neighborhood full of kids, and the subdivision did a nice job creating playgrounds, basketball courts, and a skate park for the residents. It's near big box stores and restaurants.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 PM

356 posts, read 542,718 times
try South Elgin...

Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Agree - though whatever you do, stay out of any unincorporated areas around Elgin. In my opinion, Kane county is kind of lame in their involvement in such areas, to the detriment of the residents.
Also, you will never know what town you may be part of down the road. Towns are starting "landgrabbing" around here.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 AM

Thank you for the information from everyone. Does anyone know about the neighborhoods between Liberty Rd (east) and Shoe Factory Woods, around the areas of Summit St. and Bode Rd.?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:08 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstaylo View Post
Thank you for the information from everyone. Does anyone know about the neighborhoods between Liberty Rd (east) and Shoe Factory Woods, around the areas of Summit St. and Bode Rd.?
I know where Shoe Factory Rd is, thats about it. That runs E-W and Ive been down that road a few times. Is the area youre interested in on the far east side of town? If so, its not bad over there that I can remember. There are also some nice new areas I just remembered, theyre near the Mitsubishi dealer on Chicago St., they run south next to the dealer all the way down to Rt. 20.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstaylo View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions about "good" neighborhoods/schools?
Carefully research Elgin U46 schools... Also, the Shoe Factory Road area is on the border of Hoffman Estates, so maybe it does not feed into U46? I know lots of people that have lived in this area and like it. Many of their kids attend private schools. There is actually quite a large selection of good private grammar and high schools in Elgin and surrounding areas. In Elgin, there are good Lutheran schools (Fox Valley), Catholic schools (St. Edwards), Christian (Highland, Westminster, Harvest), non-denominational (Fox River Country Day, Elgin Academy, Da Vinci, Einstein). These are just off the top of my head, I know there are many others... Check it out on GreatSchools.net.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks to all who took the time to give me some insights on Elgin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs