Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 03:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,671 times

Advertisements

Quick question for folks who may be knowledgeable in this area:

I am interesting in possibly purchasing a home located on the Mardan Woods subdivision in Long Grove. I have two large (but very friendly) dogs who need to be in a fenced yard (electric fences are not sufficient - tried in the past) so the ability to fence in the yard is an absolute must have. No fence = no deal.

The Long Grove website's FAQ section clearly states fences, while not encouraged, are allowed in most sections of the village, and heck you do not even require a permit:

Frequently Asked Questions

However, the agent at the open house of the property in question was quite insistent that fences are not allowed anywhere in Long Grove, including the Mardan Woods subdivision. My own agent believed fences were allowed but he suggested I call the Long Grove village hall to find out for sure.

Before I take that step are there any local residents or agents who sell in this area frequently who can confirm whether fences are allowed in general, and especially in this subdivision?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 01:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Long Grove does not prohibit fences.

Having said this, be aware that most sub divisions in Long Grove do not allow fences.

This may or may not be the case in Marden Woods. I do not recall ever seeing a fence on any property in this sub division. The listing agent and/or owner may or may not be aware of restrictions.

If you decide to proceed, consider making your offer contingent upon certification that nothing precludes you from fencing your yard.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:58 PM

107 posts, read 247,055 times
The no fence thing really gets under my skin. No fence is a deal breaker for me. Why not put restrictions on the type of fence. Why would you not allow a fence? Long grove obviously caters to families with kids and dogs so why would subdivisions not allow fences. It happens in all the burbs. I couldn't imagine having a house with no fence with kids or dog.

I know they want to keep it open so allow only aluminum 4 ' fence and no stockade type slats. I guess it helps builders sell the houses by keeping it open???

Really blows my mind.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
This explains why there are no fences:
Quote:
What kind of community is Long Grove?
Long Grove has worked hard to maintain and remain an open-space countryside and environmentally sound community. Although the main emphasis is open space residential development, it is modestly known for its historic business community, and it has planned some office and retail, where appropriate. [
Return to Index]
Perhaps you should focus on another community. The only fence I can recall seeing in my journeys through Long Grove is one house that has a dog house and dog run area fenced by high chain link fence. It is a fairly small area. The rest of the yard is open.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,956 times
Fences ARE allowed in certain areas of Long Grove. The village has discouraged fences, but the individual HOAs make there own rules. TC

Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
The reason Long Gove discourages fences is because they want to maintain the look of open spaces. Nobody I know in Long Grove has a fence except for those who have pools, and even then it's just around the pool.

Is it allowed? Yes. But it's not welcome. Personally, I wouldn't put one up and risk alienating my neighbors, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs