Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 AM

51 posts, read 94,511 times

Advertisements

My wife has started to do some house hunting the last few days and really likes St. Charles. We plan to spend around $500K to $600K. Can somebody recommend some sub divisions that we should look at and/or avoid. Are there major differences between the east and west sides? We have 2 kids that are in elementary schools so that will be important for us as well.

I'll will be working in Schaumburg so probably need to keep that in mind when looking in St Charles for drive times.

My preference would be for the following:

- 4 + bedrooms
- 3 car garage
- Full finished walk out basement
- 1 acre ish

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
I doubt you'll find anything close to an acre inside St. Charles east of the river within your price range. You might find something east of the river in an unicorporated area or maybe in Wayne. Not sure I would really recommend those options as distance wise and congestion you are looking at over 20 miles on secondary roads which will take about an hour most evenings...

In your budget with a job in Schaumburg I would lean toward Glen Ellyn -- better commute via tollroads, easily cut travel times to half hour or less -- St Charles, IL to N Main St - Google Maps That route is from east side of St. Charles, to Schaumburg and then to Glen Ellyn...

West side of St. Charles would ake for even worse commute...

Old 11-20-2012, 02:03 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,280,940 times
My advice: find someplace closer to Schaumburg. Have you considered Prospect Heights? Large lots and some larger, newer homes with basements. 3 car garages are not too prevalent and no walk out basements I am aware of.
What about Barrington or South Barrington?

Glen Ellyn is also a beautiful area.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:02 PM

My wife really wants to stay in St. Charles. I'm hoping to get some ideas on sub divisions, schools, etc.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,280,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msujohn View Post
My wife really wants to stay in St. Charles. I'm hoping to get some ideas on sub divisions, schools, etc.
It is a nice area and I understand how it goes when DW really wants something combined with a "feel" for an area. What other areas did you look at and what tipped the decision to St. Charles?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:29 PM

Default Confused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msujohn View Post
"Stay in St. Charles" ????

You already live there? Then you ought to know that is extremely unlikely to find a large parcel in a location that would make for a tolerable commute to Schaumburg...

Here is listing for a rare large parcel on the east side of town -- http://goo.gl/LSJ1A You may note the long time on market, well over a year with multiple periods of de-listing / price drops...

There are far more subdivisions in Wayne that have large parcels, though schools may be a negative.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:33 PM

She looked in 3 areas; St Charles, Arlington Heights, and Barrington. She really likes the feel and layout of St. Charles. She thinks it is more family oriented, etc. She noticed alot more kids in these areas as well. At our price point, she thinks that our money will go alot farther as well. Now we just need to make sure we get into the right sub division. The realtor is telling her that if we are in the NW of St Charles it will be a 35 commute (she has relatives that do this daily). She says we have a few options to get there (a new bridge, etc).

Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 PM

Listen to the advice of the real estate agent that you already have...

Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,367,048 times
I live in St. Charles... my recommendation is stay on the East side of the river. You will have a much better commute into Schaumburg. My spouse has been commuting into schaumburg for 20 + years now. It is not too bad. There are some nice subdvisions (sorry do not know names) are ones that are along Kirk Rd and also Dunham road - all are just north of (Rt 64) north avenue. Around St. Charles East hs and St. John Neumann parish there.
Also you might want to look on the east side I want to say, in the Cornerstone Lakes (I think?) development which is technically West chicago, but they all go to St. Charles schools. I know Lots of people live in there and it is nice. Also, you could look in Wayne. Although not all of wayne is St. Charles schools, some are U-46.
Northwest you are going over the river, and that could be an issue. Although if you lived right off Randall Rd. ine one of those subdivisions, it might not be too bad. You would take the 90 in?... or Lake Street?
Right now, he takes West Bartlett Rd, to Rt 59 and up over to Golf. Commute time completely depends on how heinous the traffic is in Schaumburg. To The very south end of Schaumburg would be 35 min,. (I did that commute for a while) but mostly it will be over 45 minutes if you are going to the northern part of Schaumburg.
To get 1 acre or larger, you might have to go into farther west and south to unincorporated St. Charles township or Campton Hills, then you are talking a way longer commute. There are also subdivisions in South Elgin that are along Randall Rd that have St. Charles schools that are very nice too.

Last edited by gardener34; 11-20-2012 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
"Stay in St. Charles" ????

You already live there? Then you ought to know that is extremely unlikely to find a large parcel in a location that would make for a tolerable commute to Schaumburg...

Here is listing for a rare large parcel on the east side of town -- http://goo.gl/LSJ1A You may note the long time on market, well over a year with multiple periods of de-listing / price drops...

There are far more subdivisions in Wayne that have large parcels, though schools may be a negative.

Didn't mean to say "Stay in St. Charles" She wants to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs