Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,156 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband and I are would like to move closer to his job, which is in Mundelein. We live in a cook county burb. He wants to live in a suburb with low crime rate, good schools for the children, ects. Which is great. We both are young working professionals. We also are a multiracial family Black& Arabic. I'm a little afraid that these places might have some racial profiling, but yet we want the best for our children. My question is are Vernon hills and Grayslake ethnic friendly if so which one is more ethnic friendly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,071 times
Hi. I have lived in Vernon Hills for most of the last 17 years. The school system is very good, and the high school is one of the best in the state (see 2011 US News rankings). The shopping is typical suburban fare - a large mid level mall nearby and Target and Walmart. Restaurants are good too. Overall, there is a variety of housing from very pricey (Greggs Landing) to older townhomes in the central area. You will be close to Mundelein too. As for diversity, while not Evanston or Oak Park, I have noticed an influx of Eastern European and Asian familes over the years and I would say for Lake County, this is one of the more diverse suburbs. I lived in Grayslake while attending college in the 1990's so cannot speak for it currently, but I do remember it for being a tranquil suburb with a small downtown (something Vernon Hills does not have). The housing stock is a bit more moderately priced than Vernon Hills and there are newer subdivisions as well as some older stock housing near downtown. I believe the schools are good and Grayslake H.S. expanded some years ago - but be careful to make sure you would be zoned into the Grayslake school system, not Round Lake, which is not as acedemically proficient. Grayslake is a bit too far out for me, Vernon Hills is about as far north as I would like to go, but that is a personal choice. If you do choose Grayslake you will need to travel either to Gurnee or VH for most of your shopping. If ethnic diversity is important to you in the local population, and you are choosing between Vernon Hills and Grayslake, I would go with Vernon Hills hands down. Good luck with your move. Either way, you will have selected a good place to raise your family.

Last edited by JL0324; 05-20-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 05-20-2012, 03:08 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Vernon Hills is mostly covered by the desirable school district(s), as already pointed out parts of Grayslake are served by districts that are not desirable. That is a big reason to prefer Vernon Hills.

I have no idea what sorts of "racial profiling" concerns one would have that probably have not already been encounters working / shopping in the area. Have your or your husband been frequently pulled over by local police? If so I would contact the US State's Attorney and pursue appropriate investigation / prosecution...

There are many families from East Indian , Asian and Middle Eastern origins in and around Vernon Hills -- most of the areas employers have large percentages of their IT employees from these racial backgrounds. It is less common to encounter families of mixed Arabic & Black composition and I beleive this would also be true anywhere in the broad region...

Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
And if you want REALLY good schools, go a bit farther south into Buffalo Grove and you are in Stevenson HS, which is one of the best in the state.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:48 PM

28 posts, read 96,678 times
Try Grosse Pointe Village. It's Vernon Hills but kids there go to Stevenson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs