Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,703 times

Advertisements

hI everyone! i am considering moving around the chicago metro area. I dont want would prefer a happy medium somewhere in an area between chicago and sycamore/dekalb. I'm looking for something for a middle class family.

any suggestions on where would be a good place to start looking and doing some research?

What are you opinions on the sycamore and dekalb?

thanks so much for anyones help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 08:27 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
it scares me that the words "metro" and "dekalb" are uttered in the same sentence.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febe1444 View Post
hI everyone! i am considering moving around the chicago metro area. I dont want would prefer a happy medium somewhere in an area between chicago and sycamore/dekalb. I'm looking for something for a middle class family.

any suggestions on where would be a good place to start looking and doing some research?

What are you opinions on the sycamore and dekalb?

thanks so much for anyones help!!
Sycamore is a decent little town, I lived there for a year and rather liked it. I didnt like DeKalb though, not one bit. In between Sycamore and the far west burbs are Lily Lake, which seems pretty decent, and the tiny town of Virgil, which is about as quiet and small as a town can get. Are you just interested in towns between Sycamore and the western burbs or between Chicago and Sycamore? Also, how much are you willing to spend?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Wasco is not as far west as dekalb or sycamore and is nice. What about big rock or sugar grove? Kirkland is nice also.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:20 AM

98 posts, read 453,976 times
There are way too many factors involved to accurately suggest a location anywhere between Chicago and DeKalb. The area between Chicago and Dekalb is huge and covers budgets from $100k to $1,000,000+. Towns from tiny to enormous, rural to urban.

Do you have any more criteria? Budget, schools, land requirements?

Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Look around DeKalb it is a somewhat booming community and is very safe, not to mention a little bit of $$$ goes a long way out there when it comes to housing. Taxes are lower than in Chicago proper and traffic is virtually non-existant. DeKalb and Sycamore both are very nice towns to raise a family in as there are plenty of parks scattered throughout the town, the schools are pretty good, the people are friendly, and like I said the crime is very low.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:23 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,354 times
Sugar Grove and Elburn are very nice but the taxes there are very high and the school district is spread out so far that it is an issue with parents of school aged kids. The market is not the best so it is a great time to buy! Afforable housing but watch out for the taxes. There is little commercial development in Sugar Grove, although they say it is coming, so taxes will remain high for quite some time. The nice thing about Sugar Grove and Elburn is they are close to 88 with access at Rt. 47

Old 11-13-2007, 04:14 AM

9 posts, read 33,620 times
You may want to check out Genoa also. Our family moved here 4 years ago and we couldn't be happier with this town plus we paid almost half for our house compared to a similar one we looked at closer towards Chicago. Between my husband and myself we have lived in several cities from the edge of Chicago and all over the suburbs and after we were married we looked in several areas before we choose to buy a home in Genoa. Good luck with your choice.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:30 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,206 times
Default Disregarding A Financial Budget....

... I would recommend either Cortland, IL Town of Cortland -- Welcome to Cortland! or Elburn, IL. Both of those towns are in line with the Union Pacific railroad. However, the U.P commuter service stops at Elburn.

Carter Glass

Old 11-13-2007, 09:21 AM

356 posts, read 542,035 times
Sycamore is 70 miles from Downtown Chicago, easily a 2 hour drive

Bartlett would be a consideration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs