Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:33 PM

8,555 posts, read 4,804,838 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving to the Chi-town area; we fell in love there, and both feel that it would be a good fit for us as far as starting our lives after college. Neither of us are terribly urban-oriented people and are both handgun enthusiasts, so moving to Chicago proper is not a preferred option, though neither of us would completely discount a move to the Bucktown/Wicker Park/Logan Square area. We both love Oak Park, but acknowledge that it's probably a little upmarket for a couple of "kids" new to the market. We'd probably rent in the short-term, but would love to buy a house and start building up equity. Having access to the El trains would be a definite bonus. Are there any areas that are affordable, reasonably close to work, and have at least an inkling of Oak Park's charm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,489,689 times
Berwyn and Forest Park both border Oak Park and offer good value for the money. Because they are older and established "inner ring" suburbs, they certainly have character. Both are public transit friendly.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:01 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,637,955 times
Check out Evanston,,easy,quick 'L' ride to city and lots going on all the time.You also have the beach!!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Berwyn and Forest Park both border Oak Park and offer good value for the money. Because they are older and established "inner ring" suburbs, they certainly have character. Both are public transit friendly.
Good idea, I'll keep some tabs on those...

As for Evanston, they're a little rich for our blood yet, but who knows. It would be an ideal location in many ways...

Old 09-04-2007, 12:22 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,876,182 times
Check on the handgun regulations for the areas that you're looking at. Not all allow them.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,489,758 times
Whats your price range? Some towns are lovely, but rediculously expensive. Do you have suburban location preferances (ie near west, far west, NW, S, etc)?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:56 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,977,552 times
Oak Park has a ban on hand-gun ownership. Its also is a nuclear weapon free zone (seriously), so you can't bring your ICBM with you either.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Check on the handgun regulations for the areas that you're looking at. Not all allow them.
Hmm...I knew Chicago had a handgun ban, didn't figure the 'burbs cared too much...

As to location, don't really have a preference other than that we both like the older inner-ring suburbs and want pretty easy access to Chicago's nightlife, etc. Not knowing where either of us will work, it's hard to say what kind of commute we'd face, though.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,637,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Hmm...I knew Chicago had a handgun ban, didn't figure the 'burbs cared too much...

As to location, don't really have a preference other than that we both like the older inner-ring suburbs and want pretty easy access to Chicago's nightlife, etc. Not knowing where either of us will work, it's hard to say what kind of commute we'd face, though.
Yes,burbs care a great deal about guns,,but I also know recreationaly its very popular-how about lining up your job,,then decide where you want to live.Dont give up on Evanston.Check it out..I agree a young couple would have far more fun closer in to the city.And did you plan on shooting your guns out your kitchen window? You can live where you want and drive to your shooting range of choice -oui? Good luck to you wherever you decide to live,,hope you have lots of fun and happy shooting (leave the birds alone)

Old 09-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Driving to the shooting range isn't a problem - I just don't want the hassle of having a handgun in a place where it's illegal if for whatever reason we'd get caught with them, etc. It's not a massive consideration, just a hobby we would both hate to have to go through hurdles to enjoy.

All I'm doing for now is trying to get a preliminary list together of places to look. We won't be making the move for another couple of years yet when we're both graduated from college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs