Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 AM

306 posts, read 481,693 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of very informative posters on here and since this board is all about moving and homes, would love to hear opinions on the current state of housing in the Chicagoland area and what the future will hold.

I live in St. Charles, which like most burbs, has been greatly affected by the real estate bubble bursting. I would say we are somewhere in the middle. Many developments west of randall road have turned into ghost towns.
Now the postive is the 1st street project has really turned out great with many new restaraunts and stores.

But back to homes, are there areas of the burbs hit harder during this recession than other areas?

Are there burbs that are starting to rebound and what positive news, if any, do people see for the chi-burbs in the next 5 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,270,447 times
My parents live in Carpentersville, and they (and neighbors) have taken a bath with their home values. Sadly, the trending demographics show that things will probably not end well for them at all. It's the same thing with my buddy in Aurora.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:49 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,687,210 times
Huntley took a dip as well.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,745,046 times
Those far flung suburbs will likely struggle for a while.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Those far flung suburbs will likely struggle for a while.
I absolutely agree. Both my mom and her husband work in a nearby industrial office park, so it's not like they don't have work nearby. But yes, Huntley and Carpentersville really had no business being built up like it did, and had the bubble not inflated, would not exist in their current form.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:18 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,955,356 times
I think all suburbs suffered from the nationwide housing slump. Perhaps the newer far flung suburbs worse because they are not close to employment or anything else, and residents not living there long enough to put down roots.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,663,076 times
In sugar grove,we too, have taken the housing hit. We have had numerous housing developments grind to a halt and home values are down substantially. However, on a better note, we have a very low foreclosure rate. With this in mind, the hopes are that those home will be picked up and get back online, thus making other homes start to move again. We have had more commercial development with some office/retail space being built out and filled. Just wishing for larger retail development.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Does anyone think values have bottomed or are close to bottoming? I have lived all over the Chicago area. My good friends in Elmhurst told me that Dupage is getting rocked pretty hard as well.
I have never seen home values, as a whole region, drop so much so fast. Having to work in the northeast, home values are acutally much lower here and prices have somewhat stabilized out there. Don't know why the Chicago area is really getting hit hard. At least we are not Arizona, Nevada, or Florida. Wowzers!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Does anyone think values have bottomed or are close to bottoming? I have lived all over the Chicago area. My good friends in Elmhurst told me that Dupage is getting rocked pretty hard as well.
I have never seen home values, as a whole region, drop so much so fast. Having to work in the northeast, home values are acutally much lower here and prices have somewhat stabilized out there. Don't know why the Chicago area is really getting hit hard. At least we are not Arizona, Nevada, or Florida. Wowzers!
I recall an article in the NYT that stated white collar employment has bounced back pretty good on the east coast. That would, in turn, start to stabilize housing.

However, we're still hurting for employment and cash in this state. Until you have supply and demand worked out again, the vicious cycle continues.

And that's also why places like Phoenix and Las Vegas will continue to hurt. No jobs, no money to buy property, and falling prices until people DO buy the property.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Excellent point Manneheim. Real estate is all location, location and Chicagoland(IMO) has some of the best values for what one gets. Yes our weather is a bummer from Dec-March, but the Northeast isn't that much better. Go to suburbs of Boston, New York, etc. and the housing prices are much higher than here. Go to the West Coast and they are much much higher, even after the crash.

For the midwest, Chicago is a tad higher, but not on the extreme's of the coasts. Same with the city, but this is a burb forum, so thought I would focus on the burbs.

What do some on here see in the next 5 years? I hope(really hope) that this year is the bottom. I mean how much lower can prices go? We have such beautiful places to live and there are countless burbs with excellent quality of life. I would like to see real estate prices start to show that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs