Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 AM

481 posts, read 1,061,272 times

Advertisements

How horrific is the commute during rush hour and non-rush hour? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,059,094 times
Although it's a straight shot down 90, I would never want to do it during rush hour.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 AM

481 posts, read 1,061,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Although it's a straight shot down 90, I would never want to do it during rush hour.
How bad is it? I live on Long Island, where traffic is horrendous. I'd like to know just how bad for rush hour and non-rush hour? Also, is Huntley considered a nice area, or average, or one where there's problems (well, more than usual). Thanks!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
Non-rush hour, even midday, this is a breeze. Honestly the stretch of 90 has so few exits that speeds WELL ABOVE posted are the norm EXCEPT during rush.

During rush hour a WHOLE LOT of cars do need to use this corridor. Traffic volumes are very high.

That said, I would have no problem saying that speeds still stay within about 80% of posted limits. If you are lucky enough to be able to also use surface streets this, FOR THE DISTANCE is a pretty good commute. OF COURSE when bad weather hits, or road construction is a factor you should think about alternate routes and travel times will SOAR, but I think that is true pretty much anywhere in the region...

As to "nice area" factor I think that MUCH depends on what you are comparing Huntley to -- there are some folks that saw the farms out that way and where thinking "this is my chance to get in on the next wave of horse properties" but it really has not worked out that way for the most part. What has happened is there are some really really high quality homes on some bigger than average lots with some fairly active schools and well off parents and that compares favorable with the other options in that corridor. It is much nicer than Elgin, Hoffman Estates or Dundee. It is not in the same "upper brackets" category of Barrington.

All in all if you find an existing home that is well priced and you like the neighborhood this is probably a very nice option...

Old 02-26-2011, 03:06 PM

759 posts, read 3,147,117 times
Depends on what part of Schaumburg (which spans a large area) and what part of Huntley. I live in the western part of Schaumburg and Rte 59 is a good place to enter and exit.

It takes me about 25-30 minutes to go to that outlet mall in Huntley. I believe Rte 72 is another option (if you need to avoid highway).

Also depends your work hours. The best course would be to actually do a trial run.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,317,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
How horrific is the commute during rush hour and non-rush hour? Thanks!
It depends on WHEN you have to be in to work. If you need to get to work around 7 AM, it is not really all that bad.

Route 62 can also be an alternative depending on where you are at in Huntley.

Do realize that Huntley is always under construction.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:48 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,059,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Do realize that Illinois is always under construction.
Fixed that for you!

62 is an alternate route, but it isn't much (if any) better than I-90 during rush hour.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,068 times
Depending on where in Huntley... our commute was 42 minutes door to door leaving at just before 6:20 am and arriving at 7 when we tried it once.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:19 PM

41 posts, read 82,260 times
During rush hour, you'll probably be going 40-45 mph most of the way there on 90, if that helps. The going is a little faster from Huntley-Elgin, and Elgin-Schaumburg is a little slower. I would say 45-50 minutes in rush hour, though it depends exactly where you are headed.

Huntley is a fine area. Ex-farm land, new subdivisions with town homes and big cookie-cutter single family homes. It's not a super "high class", ritzy area or anything, but there aren't any real problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs