Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 AM

10 posts, read 61,109 times

Advertisements

Okay everyone I have a problem I am hoping I could get some advice on

I have a beautiful 92 RS. I'm having problems with him though. Well first and foremost this all started because my ex boyfriend was driving car w/out his license and we got pulled over (wrongful entrustment, and yes I did learn my lesson) anyway the car sat in my mom's yard (in the grass) for a year. Now, I'm trying to get the car started but it's been 3 weeks since I had it pulled into a friend's job. He works at a place that fixes cars. He needs to find a throttle body for it. I'm not sure how much this is going to cost, and I dont even know if that's the only problem. He says that SO FAR that's the only problem but since the car has been sitting for some time no telling what might be up.

So, this is taking way too long. I have a rental but it's costing me. I dont want to go finance a car because my credit isn't spectacular and besides that I love my Camaro but I'm almost to my wits end and just want to throw in the towel and get another car (Jeep Wrangler). If you guys were in my situation what would you do? Would you be patient, rack up money on the rental, and get the Camaro fixed or would you just buy another car and have payments for 5+ years?

Thanks everybody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 01:11 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
this is hard to say without knowing what is wrong with the camaro (thanks for spelling it right, btw, no one else ever does). without knowing that we cant have an idea of what it is going to cost you. what kind of shape is it in? mileage? hows the tires, brakes? if its pristine, say $500 for a TB swap isn't going to be a waste of money but if its pretty needy, that $500 will turn into another $500 for tires and another for something else, and pretty much you spent more than the car is worth just getting it back on the road. here's another question: why has it been sitting at the shop for 3 weeks?

this is what i would do: unless you can find someone who wants to buy the car in its current condition, you've got to get it running no matter if you keep or sell. tell your friend that you need to get the car on the road immediately. ask exactly what he knows is wrong with it right now. it can not possibly be hard to find a throttle body for a third gen TPI camaro. if you can't find one at napa or a junkyard, join a camaro forum and get on their classified section. if you know exactly what you are looking for you should find one inside of a couple days.

also, join that camaro forum and ask for help in diagnosing. be very specific in detailing the problem. people with a car just like that probably know everything there is to know about it.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:13 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
find a throttle body for it? if i were you i would take the car to a place that can rebuild the Throttle body that is on the car. by throttle body, i assume you mean a TBI carburator type, not a TPI style unit; meaning the engine in your car is a 5.0 liter TBI, not a 5.0 liter TPI. if i am correct, then it would be similar to a traditional carb rebuild.

at any rate, i would take it to a reputable service shop that can have the problem diagnosed and fixed promptly, rather than at a friend of a friends shop where they'll get around to it when they get around to it. hopefully you live in a place where there is more than just one shop.

i hope this helps. if you can describe what problems your car is having, i may be able to venture a guess as to the problem as i once owned an 87 firebird with the same motor and had many, many problems with.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Well it shouldn't be a problem getting or rebuilding the throttle body, 3 weeks is long time, is this a buisness? or just a friend who works on cars? Is the car in nice shape other than not running? Why did the car sit for a year?

Old 11-10-2007, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the response! Well, the tires are good, I do need some new brakes and rotors. Motor is fine. The miles are around 116,000. And yes the car is a 305 TBI and not a TPI. One of the master mechanics at my friends job did look at the car and he told my friend that it was better to just get a whole throttle body and put it in. I didn't know about the possiblity of them being rebuild. My friend did find one at a salvage yard he's suppose to be looking at it on Monday to make sure it is good. I'm still not too sure about everything though. I'm so eager to get my car back on the road but I have this bad feeling that something else is going to be wrong with the car. It took them that long to figure out it was the throttle body. I'm to the point where I just want to get my car towed elsewhere but at the same time I am not going to hopefully have to pay no more than 100 just to get everything fixed.

Money, the main motivating factor.

My friend says he feels my pain, yet he doesnt have to worry about paying for a rental. Although I do enjoy driving it, this is the wrong time of the year for extra expenses.

Just not too sure about anything anymore

Old 11-10-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Well it shouldn't be a problem getting or rebuilding the throttle body, 3 weeks is long time, is this a buisness? or just a friend who works on cars? Is the car in nice shape other than not running? Why did the car sit for a year?

Actually the car is getting worked on at my friend's job. He works for a place that fixes cars. So basically I get his company discount. If that makes sense to you. Yeah the car is in nice shape still, the miles aren't that bad for the year that it is. Besides that I did baby it, but I'll have to drive it this winter until Febrary or so. And it sat because it got immobilized. It's actually my fault that I didn't start it every other day or whatever like I should have.

I've only had this car for 3 years. Drove it for 2. I miss it

Old 11-10-2007, 01:35 PM

and if i'm incorrect and your car has a TPI system, then the throttle body is actually a rather odd thing to need replaced.

edit: woops. didnt read your latest post.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
One of the master mechanics at my friends job did look at the car and he told my friend that it was better to just get a whole throttle body and put it in. I didn't know about the possiblity of them being rebuild. My friend did find one at a salvage yard he's suppose to be looking at it on Monday to make sure it is good.
see, this is what i'm talking about. whatever this used throttle body is off of, it is probably at least as old as your car. and it probably sat for AT LEAST as long as your car. i'm telling you from experience it would be a lot better and more fail-safe to rebuild the one that is already on and came with your car.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:45 AM

26 posts, read 133,105 times
You were advised to join a forum. That's free and the best advice you've gotten.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 25,557 times
Default money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMyFace View Post
Okay everyone I have a problem I am hoping I could get some advice on

I have a beautiful 92 RS. I'm having problems with him though. Well first and foremost this all started because my ex boyfriend was driving car w/out his license and we got pulled over (wrongful entrustment, and yes I did learn my lesson) anyway the car sat in my mom's yard (in the grass) for a year. Now, I'm trying to get the car started but it's been 3 weeks since I had it pulled into a friend's job. He works at a place that fixes cars. He needs to find a throttle body for it. I'm not sure how much this is going to cost, and I dont even know if that's the only problem. He says that SO FAR that's the only problem but since the car has been sitting for some time no telling what might be up.

So, this is taking way too long. I have a rental but it's costing me. I dont want to go finance a car because my credit isn't spectacular and besides that I love my Camaro but I'm almost to my wits end and just want to throw in the towel and get another car (Jeep Wrangler). If you guys were in my situation what would you do? Would you be patient, rack up money on the rental, and get the Camaro fixed or would you just buy another car and have payments for 5+ years?

Thanks everybody
This going to be short and sweet.....get rid of the car ...sounds like a money pit to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC