Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,893 times

Advertisements

Still trying to decide. Too broke right now to make two trips - one to Lynchburg, VA AND one to Chattanooga, TN - to check each out. But, PLEASE, opinions!!! (I keep hearing conflicting info...).

Is Chattanooga as hot and as humid as Atlanta is in the summer? I need to know because if it is - and I've been to Atlanta in the summer and thought I would die! - I think I'll concentrate on moving to Lynchburg instead.

Opinions? Thoughts? (FACTS would be even better...)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 03:50 PM

22 posts, read 159,248 times
The simple answer is NO. Atlnta hotter, more humid.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabroker View Post
The simple answer is NO. Atlnta hotter, more humid.
Thanks!! As said in one of my favorite movies, "You Can't Take It With You," (paraphrasing a bit): "My thoughts are running around in my brain like a squirrel..." (Feeling rather crazy trying to gather info and make a decision).

Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
my answer is no, No and NO!!!!!!

They don't call it Hotlanta for nothing!

Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 AM

Thanks, guys, for your input!!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 PM

600 posts, read 2,260,962 times
It's pretty close to the same temperatures and humidity levels at Atlanta, but not quite as bad. Atlanta is a tad hotter, as they are about 90 minutes south of here, so you should expect it to be a little hotter in the summer. I don't mind the summers in Chattanooga at all.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:38 AM

849 posts, read 2,955,329 times
I think all of that pavement and structure in Atlanta has a lot to do with the heat besides its location being further to the south. Chattanooga is an oasis by comparison, lots of trees and shades and not nearly the size. It will get hot, and it will get humid, but I highly doubt either are as long as Atlanta.

I currently live in Florida and can tell you on my runs, there is a difference as to how hot it is along a 6 lane divided travel way that I sometimes run, and through neighborhoods. The pavement really holds the heat.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times
Here's some data you may find useful:

Average relative humidity, June-August
Atlanta: morning 87%, afternoon 58%
Chattanooga: morning 89%, afternoon 56%

Average daily maximum temperature, June-August
Atlanta: 87.9
Chattanooga: 88.2

No. of days maximum temperature is 90+
Atlanta: 35
Chattanooga: 53

Source of data above: NNDC: Home Page

FWIW, Old Spice publishes a list of America's 100 "sweatiest cities" every year. In their latest edition, Chattanooga is 34th and Atlanta 43rd. The rankings are based on "computer simulations of the amount of sweat a person of average height and weight would produce walking around for an hour in the average temperatures during June, July and August of 2007 for each city."

One caveat about comparing the climatological data above: the readings come from Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport, which is about 8 miles from downtown Atlanta as the crow flies, and Chattanooga's Metropolitan Airport. Atlanta is a much larger "heat island" than Chattanooga, and summer temps in downtown Atl. can be as much as 10 degrees hotter than in suburbs that still have lots of trees. Most folks in Metro Atlanta live & work in the suburbs, but many of those areas have become so heavily developed that they've turned into mini heat islands themselves.

So as to your original question, "Is Chattanooga as hot and as humid as Atlanta is in the summer?," the answer is a qualified "yes" unless you're comparing the downtown areas.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Here's some data you may find useful:

Average relative humidity, June-August
Atlanta: morning 87%, afternoon 58%
Chattanooga: morning 89%, afternoon 56%

Average daily maximum temperature, June-August
Atlanta: 87.9
Chattanooga: 88.2

No. of days maximum temperature is 90+
Atlanta: 35
Chattanooga: 53

Source of data above: NNDC: Home Page

FWIW, Old Spice publishes a list of America's 100 "sweatiest cities" every year. In their latest edition, Chattanooga is 34th and Atlanta 43rd. The rankings are based on "computer simulations of the amount of sweat a person of average height and weight would produce walking around for an hour in the average temperatures during June, July and August of 2007 for each city."

One caveat about comparing the climatological data above: the readings come from Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport, which is about 8 miles from downtown Atlanta as the crow flies, and Chattanooga's Metropolitan Airport. Atlanta is a much larger "heat island" than Chattanooga, and summer temps in downtown Atl. can be as much as 10 degrees hotter than in suburbs that still have lots of trees. Most folks in Metro Atlanta live & work in the suburbs, but many of those areas have become so heavily developed that they've turned into mini heat islands themselves.

So as to your original question, "Is Chattanooga as hot and as humid as Atlanta is in the summer?," the answer is a qualified "yes" unless you're comparing the downtown areas.
Thank you! Thank you! And thank you!! All of you guys, but especially you who have given me this data. I love Atlanta and almost moved there several years ago, as I had visited there twice before. The third time was in August and I LITERALLY got sick to my stomach (and intestines; don't want to get to graphic...) and realized I couldn't live there, even in the burbs.

So, if Chattanooga is the same or close to or WORSE! - no way. At this point I think I've pretty much settled in my mind that I'll probably be moving to Lynchburg, VA. All things considered it seems like the best place for me now.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:41 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,962 times
Good Luck in Virginia, the summers there may also be hot with all this global warming going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga