Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 05:17 AM

91 posts, read 136,170 times

Advertisements

If this is in the wrong section please let me know. My husband and I visited Central VA a few weeks ago, and we both got jobs and a place to live - so we're moving! He is working in Ruckersville, so we got a place to rent there. Problem is, I had centered all my 6 years of research on the Waynesboro and Augusta County area, so Greene County is gorgeous but foreign to me. Can anyone give me any advice, or anything to look out for - or just tell me how much you love it there? It looks like it runs right next to the Shenandoah National Park, and we are in a gorgeous area! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 07:58 AM

382 posts, read 867,841 times
Greene County is pretty much just a place to live to get out of the City of Charlottesville. It is, like the rest of the region, a good central spot to travel out from. There are a number of wineries nearby, Shenandoah National Park, and lots of small towns with their own events throughout the year.

Yes, you'll have to travel to do anything more than groceries and a few other things but you'll have a nice, quiet place to rest when your done.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:36 AM

407 posts, read 966,961 times
Good Walmart, Lowes, and McDonalds (friendlier than C'Ville), and decent schools (my son taught there until this year). A couple of nice antique stores and a couple of good BBQ places. More "regular" not highly educated people (not a bad thing). Plenty of nice homes along with plenty of smaller more rural homes. That's my experience.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:22 PM

91 posts, read 136,170 times
Thanks for the advice! I was a little concerned with how small it is and the lack of some stores, but I will be working in downtown Charlottesville, and when I routed it the other day, I can get almost anything I need on the way to/from work with all the shops on the way. It's such a beautiful area, and everyone seems so nice.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Lebeck View Post
Thanks for the advice! I was a little concerned with how small it is and the lack of some stores, but I will be working in downtown Charlottesville, and when I routed it the other day, I can get almost anything I need on the way to/from work with all the shops on the way. It's such a beautiful area, and everyone seems so nice.
Just be aware that 29 has tons of traffic and nobody signals.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,356 times
I live in Greene county now. Formerly Staunton and Charlottesville. It's an interesting mix of people. It's country with a capital C. However, there are some really nice quaint areas. I personally like the village atmosphere of Stanardsville. But many here consider it to be the "ghetto" of the county. Ruckersville is just a commercial area/strip. Many professionals have started moving in and commute to Charlottesville. The main road, Rt 29 can be perilous to drive because of all the traffic and road work into Cville. On the flip side, there's a whole lot of white trash, redneck type people here too. It's always interesting to go to the local Wal Mart to see all of the different groups converge. There was also the other day a obviously foreign family who I assume is Muslim in wal mart here in head to toe traditional dress. You could only see their eyes. So Greene, while very country, is starting to get some of the runoff of diversity from Charlottesville, which is only a good thing in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville