Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times

Advertisements

I refuse to buy any drinks or snacks at the movie theater. I have a bag that I carry my Kindle in and I bring that with a soda and/or candy in it. It has a pocket in the back that you can't see so even if they would ask to look inside they wouldn't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 AM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,831 times
I do have a funny story about bringing in snacks to a theatre...or rather the purchasing of them. When we lived in DC we went to buy candy and drinks at CVS in Georgetown prior to going to a movie on Friday night, well we parked in a no parking zone on the street...one of those ones in DC that only is a no parking zone till 6 pm due to traffic...it was 5:55 or something ridiculous like that - we apparently were not paying close enough attention. We saved money on the snacks, but ended up with a $150 parking ticket...Is is Karma??

Old 01-10-2010, 07:31 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
If you want a cheap theater night out, bring your own popcorn and drinks and goto the dollar theater in Matthews....we always go and see quality movies for about 1/5th the price of a regular movie.....for us its a great date night out w/the DW, or a quality time out w/the kids!

Cinemark Movies 10 - Matthews - Matthews, NC, 28105 - Citysearch

Last edited by CouponJack; 01-10-2010 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,200 times
There is a dollar theater in Rock HIll as well, not exactly the nicest theater you'll come across.

Movies are all relative though. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it isn't good. I've heard nothing but great things about Avatar and want to go see it and I enjoyed Up In the Air. You have to go with your instincts and what you like not what everyone else says. I have seen movies that were trashed by critics and enjoyed them and I've seen movies that won awards and had rave reviews by people and critics alike that I hated.

Movies are expensive. You can keep your eye out for coupons and deals, bring in your own snacks and drinks or not buy any at all. Or you can stay home and watch it on your 69 inch Plasma with surround sound.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:08 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
I dropped my 15 year old off at stonecrest Regal last week to see Avatar (not the IMAX version now) in 3d. It was $13.50 and he said it wasn't worth it. The Imax was even more expensive. My other son went to see it at Arboretum - no 3 d there and it was $10. Redbox for me. I can wait for a movie.
My daughter and I went to see the IMAX version last week and thought it was incredible. Granted, it's not a cheap night ($45, by the time we got popcorn and drinks, because I hadn't had time to eat dinner or grab my own snacks!!).

Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Not all movies that get lots of nominations are actually enjoyable. We've all gotten burned at least once going to see a "critically aclaimed movie" and walked out of the movie theatre afterwards thinking "Huh?"

We've found that many movies that were panned by the critics, turn out to be quite good after all. A lot depends on your own tastes and what you find personally find "entertaining".

If we want to go to the movie theatre, we always attend mattinees, and I have ALWAYS smuggled in snacks, canned drinks and candy. I just empty my large pocketbook beforehand and fill it up, then break out the snacks after the lights go down. What can they do? Send in the "snack" police? Maybe if they would charge more REASONABLE prices people would not feel compelled to do this!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Another suggestion is to read reviews by local folks rather than national critics. If you do some research, there are lots of reviews out there from "the average guy on the street." Once you find a website or blog written by someone who seems to have your sensibilities, then you have a better chance of walking into the theatre - and coming out feeling your money was well spent.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:25 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
Or you can stay home and watch it on your 69 inch Plasma with surround sound.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:02 AM

403 posts, read 878,260 times
amp......Thanks for your input on the Inglorious Bastards...my DH wanted to see it sometime ago....and I was the one who didn't want to see it...sooo now I am glad I went with my gut. My DH will probably watch it when it comes out on CD. Of course, I might give it a chance when he rents it....but I just felt that it would not be an experience that I wanted to waste my time or paying big bucks to see at the theatre.
If your friends saw "Up In The Air", and said that it was good...perhaps you shouldn't take my opinion of it....until you have seen it. I personally fell to sleep for a split second until my DH woke me....it to me was just like listening to the monatone voice of a golf game on television.
The one movie that I really enjoyed this season was The Blind Side....it kept me fully awake...and was well worth the time and monies spent. My husband even took his mother to see it when she was in town during the Thanksgiving holidays...and she just loved it. She said that she had never been to a movie where people actually sat through the credits, and then stood up to applaud the movie. If you haven't seen that one....you have missed out on a movie that was really good.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 AM

403 posts, read 878,260 times
Of course my previous post was only my opinion of the movies.....all of the input that has been given has been very useful...Thank you so very much. Now for the snack smugglers ....the "snack police" are the ones that I would worry about....it could become very embarassing if all of a sudden they started watching for transgressors because they were worried about getting a raise the next time raises were due...if they didn't crack down. It could possibly be me....if I even thought about trying it!!)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte