Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 31,901 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had their cabinets refaced though Home Depot or Lowe's? I am considering having this done and had Carolina Cabinet Refacing give me an estimate (~$23,000-a little over my budget). If so, were you happy with the work?

Thanks,
Jill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 05:51 PM

64 posts, read 371,948 times
My parents had theirs done by HD. They would not do it through them again. They felt like they were nickel and dimed to death and nothing went smoothly. They did not have major problems though. My dad said hindsight, he would just replace the cabinets for that kind of money (they paid 20K).

Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,358 times
I had my cabinets rejuvenated a few years ago and am still very pleased with them. Instead of refacing them I called a carpenter for an estimate on installing only new doors. My cabinets were wood so he suggested that we just painted them and put on new doors.

The result was white painted doors with window panes. I don't recall the cost, but I can tell you that it was no where near $20,000. I would at least investigate this course if I were you.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 AM

797 posts, read 3,296,759 times
$20k to reface...geez..why not just get all new cabinets!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:48 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
More and more people have told me that it isn't much more to just get new cabinets when all is said and done.

I would price both out and see what the difference in price will be.

Of course, paint is much cheaper than both options. That antiquing is very popular now (paint white with a brown glaze over the top). It is time consuming, but cheap.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
$20k to reface...geez..why not just get all new cabinets!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,274 times
Thrilled with CCR who completely updated our kitchen (small) a few years ago.
First class work, and the people in our home could not have been more considerate.
Big Box stores just sub it out to a list of local contractors and in the end any problems will have to be dealt with three parties involved (you, big box store, & contractor du jour). I know personally of horrible work from both the large chains mentioned.

Just an aside, when updating our kitchen we replaced a 15+ yr old fridge with a new pretty high end GE from a big box store. The installers did not level the wheels and it rocked nearly 1/2". I asked him to level the wheels and he told me it would be fine once we put some food in it.
Right!
I told him to get out and did it myself. Idiot.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 31,865 times
Cabinet Refacing is fast and affordable and affords you the opportunity to get the new stylish look you love.Cabinet refacing is the most popular way to update tired, worn cabinets without disrupting the use of your kitchen for more than a few days. This process involves replacing the doors with new (or veneer or other material) doors usually made from oak, birch, maple or hickory. The choice of wood and stain is overwhelming. Oak is the least expensive. Cherry wood is the most expensive.
You can do it yourself!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-17-2008 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Just an aside, when updating our kitchen we replaced a 15+ yr old fridge with a new pretty high end GE from a big box store. The installers did not level the wheels and it rocked nearly 1/2". I asked him to level the wheels and he told me it would be fine once we put some food in it.
Right!
I told him to get out and did it myself. Idiot.
We added a second refrigerator in 2000. When Sears delivered it they told me that it wouldn't fit under the cabinets. I told them to leave it in the kitchen & I got out a drill & took the cabinet off the wall. The fridge fits just fine with the cabinet resting a top it. Hooking up the ice maker was a breeze too. I think the big box stores get some of their installers from the reject pool for HD & Lowe's.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 PM

27 posts, read 120,359 times
We got a quote from Home Depot and about flipped. We actually went and just replaced the cabinets and it was a little cheaper. I would maybe check into just replacing the doors.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 31,708 times
I refaced cabinets in my former home to avoid the costs of buying new and to avoid having my kitchen as a construction zone when tearing the old ones out. I ordered the cabinet doors and drawer fronts from Lowes (HD offers the same company products) and they cost less than $900. I painted my cabinets and drawers white and then replaced the doors. I never figured out how to replace the drawer fronts so I just painted the existing ones. It was economical and looked great. Some of the doors were ordered open so I could put glass in the door. I went to a glass company, ordered the glass and glued then in with clear silicone adhesive. Ask at Lowes and HD about the DIY refacing and they can show you the display. There is a free brochure and DVD you can buy showing you what to do and if you choose a wood instead of white paint (I haven't tried this, but will) you order panels to glue over the cabinet boxes that will match the new doors and drawers. There is crown molding, trim pieces you can design you kitchen with if you want added to the look. You could order the materials and have a handy man or carpenter install. It should be cheaper than new or it would not be a reasonable option. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte