Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 07:40 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,910,006 times

Advertisements

Is there a source like NC report cards for private schools? Something unbiased?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 08:50 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,536,009 times
From what I've read, private schools are not required to report testing results. I'm not even sure they are required to even take a lot of the standardized state tests. I think that if you pay the big bucks and the school filters out the trouble-makers and the mentally deficient, the test results that these schools actually do perform are pretty good.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:58 AM

I hear conflicting stories from other moms who have or have had kids in private schools. That's why I was hoping for an unbiased source to see for myself before deciding. As for trusting schools to filter out troublemakers, I know for a fact that's untrue. But every school regardless of area or demographics have issues. I'm primarily looking for test scores. Especially ACT or SAT in high schools.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:30 AM

I found this for the SAT tests.

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...atreport13.pdf

It would be nice to see every school, whether public or private, have the same test standards.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM

Thanks, reading through now.

As for the same test standards, it would be nice. That's why I was looking for SAT or ACT scores at least. It's somewhat standard throughout.

My oldest took an ACT test and I was surprised at the figures listed for her school and the district. That's why I wanted to see if the private schools also publishes theirs.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:42 AM

It seems to vary by state to a degree. But, as a whole, it's exceedingly difficult to compile an easy-to-read and access compendium of private school info. I don't envy you!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It seems to vary by state to a degree. But, as a whole, it's exceedingly difficult to compile an easy-to-read and access compendium of private school info. I don't envy you!
I know! I don't want to enroll my youngest in one only to regret it. The private schools aren't good for my oldest as her needs are different. But I was considering sending my youngest to a private school. I attended private school all my life though and was hesitant due to my experiences and what other parents in my area are saying. In any case, I have time to explore other options.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:14 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,649,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I know! I don't want to enroll my youngest in one only to regret it. The private schools aren't good for my oldest as her needs are different. But I was considering sending my youngest to a private school. I attended private school all my life though and was hesitant due to my experiences and what other parents in my area are saying. In any case, I have time to explore other options.

What are folks in your area concerned about? Are you looking at elementary or middle?

Old 01-15-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
What are folks in your area concerned about? Are you looking at elementary or middle?
I already know which schools, just wanted to see unbiased test scores from them. It doesn't look like I will find them.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:02 AM

830 posts, read 1,536,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I already know which schools, just wanted to see unbiased test scores from them. It doesn't look like I will find them.
They are usually out there on school profiles, etc. May have to take some digging. Here is some info for th "Big 3" - a year or two old, but doubt that things have changed much.

http://caiscollegefair.com/images/profiles/latin.pdf
http://caiscollegefair.com/images/pr...countryday.pdf
http://caiscollegefair.com/images/pr...providence.pdf

More recent National Merit Semi-Finalists below
Area students named National Merit semifinalists | CharlotteObserver.com

That being said, I don't know that I'd put that much stock in SAT/ACT scores. None of these schools are trying to get all of their kids into Ivy Leagues, and SATs are a long way off for someone in lower grades. We went through the admissions process last year, and didn't even think to look at the SAT scores - and concentrated on finding the school that we thought would be the best fit...but it's still a bit of a guessing game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte