Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 09:29 AM

24 posts, read 48,374 times

Advertisements

Looking for pros & cons for 3 towns & neighborhoods. We have visited twice and will. E again when I visit my sis lives in Ft Mill in a couple weeks. We are hoping to move around June.

My husband will be transferring to the University area but I would like to be near my sis in FT Mill. I fell in love with 2 neighborhoods -Briarcrest (Waxhaw/Union ) & Summerwood ( Mint Hill/Mecklenberg). But also discovered online Shannon Vista (Waxhaw), Callonwood (Matthews) , Shanammara (Matthews) - that I would like to explore.

Big issues for me are schools, crime rates, proximity to stores & activities, and kids in the neighborhoodsAs I will children that are (6,8). Is their a big difference b/w Mecklenberg & Union schools. I've heard that Mecklenberg offers STEM, Arts, & other focused schools in high school. I've also noticed that Union schools were redistricted and schools are still being capped due to crowding. Will Union redistrict again? What's the overall climate of these schools- is their huge disparities b/w the schools in the district such as New Town & Western Union---and in the future with Parkwood & Cuthbertson?? Foes one school offer more for children?
Also I realize that traffic is an issue into Charlotte-- does being far out on Waxhaw/Monroe side fair better with traffic? Would Mint Hill/Matthews be a better commute?? Finely- out of these neighborhoods - any insights on kids in neighborhood & clubs, get togethers, etc . As I'm looking for a family friendly atmosphere. Any info would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:20 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
What is your budget? Personally, I would live in the Matthews area so it's closer for your husband's work. It's only a difference of a few miles from Matthews to Fort Mill vs Waxhaw to Fort Mill. In fact, you can take the highway quicker to Fort Mill from Matthews where as from Waxhaw you are limited to a few main roads which are used by everyone living in Union to "get" out. That would be a brutal commute for your husband too everyday from Waxhaw.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:51 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
STAY away from Mint Hill. The others all can work out well. Waxhaw commute would be tough for sure though.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Matthews is in Mecklenburg County.

The areas in Union with a Matthews address are parts of Indian Trail, Stallings, Weddington, and Wesley Chapel.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:25 PM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Briarcrest or Waxhaw would be very long commutes for your husband to the University area. If you opt for Union County, stay close to the Meck border for easier access for him to 485. As others said, getting to Fort Mill from any highway is fairly simple compared to some of the backroads alternatives. Especially from the deeper Union County places. Heck, when the northern part of 485 opens up next year, you may be better actually looking in Fort Mill and your husband could commute with the new road - maybe....

Old 01-15-2015, 10:58 AM

132 posts, read 181,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
STAY away from Mint Hill. The others all can work out well. Waxhaw commute would be tough for sure though.

What is wrong with Mint Hill? Just wondering

Old 01-15-2015, 11:15 AM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
If you like the Briarcrest section that is currently under construction you probably won't like Shannon Vista as much. I don't think the lots are as large and the houses aren't quite as nice as Briarcrest. You might also want to consider Copper Run which is between Briarcrest and Shannon Vista.

As far as the schools go, there will be additional redistricting, it's just a matter of when. Over the past few years Parkwood's test scores have taken a bit of a hit but with a lot of neighborhoods moving back from Cuthbertson to Parkwood I expect they'll see a rebound. You may see a round of redistricting in south mecklenburg county as well at some point in the next few years.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:21 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore133 View Post
What is wrong with Mint Hill? Just wondering

Property values tanking and alot of rentals / upkeep issues along with undesirable schools.

I have a strong affinity for Mint Hill because I grew up there, but just being honest. Property is not going up in value there.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:46 PM

97 posts, read 129,839 times
I'd stay away from union..I live 1 mile from 485 and was redistricted 12 miles in the opposite direction..the school is older but very good and we are actually happier. Since we are working parents, after school activities however are non existent. Shanammara (union) is nice if you play golf..if not I wouldn't. Their pool is tiny for the community but they were not redistricted...this time. I had a chance to buy in a development that was 1/2 UC and 1/2 Meck..loved the house and neighborhood but thought it was weird and unstable for my kid to go to Meck school and friend down the street to go to UC...I regret that now.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:42 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Property values tanking and alot of rentals / upkeep issues along with undesirable schools.

I have a strong affinity for Mint Hill because I grew up there, but just being honest. Property is not going up in value there.
Are you having a hard time selling a house in Mint Hill or something? Every time someone asks about Mint Hill you say something to the effect of "property values are not going up" (although if you were selling a house there scaring away potential buyers probably isn't a good idea).

Sure, Mint Hill isn't the hottest area of Charlotte but there does seem to be a lot of new construction building going on. Publix thought it was a good enough area to put a new store there.

There are some "undesirable" schools in Mint Hill, but there are also some "desirable" ones, including the elementary and middle schools that Summerwood is currently zoned for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte