Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 04:04 AM

53 posts, read 204,495 times

Advertisements

Are there any good public schools in uptown? Does anyone raise their kids uptown? When I was there it seemed like it could be a decent place for kids. If not, where are the decent schools in the city of charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:57 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,563,395 times
I live in Uptown Charlotte and would NEVER ever live outside of the I-277 loop (a little biased I guess). There are more and more professional people who are raising famalies Uptown. Just go to 4th Ward Park on a warm day (like today). Not sure about the scholl district since I don;t have kids and that did not concern me. So so your homework about schools and if you like what you find out, then move to the BEAUTIFUL 28202 (Uptown Charlotte).

Uptown is booming with residential & commercial buildings. the "Epicentre" is bringing bowling, movie theaters, more restaurants & clubs & retail. And other projects are planned.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:37 AM

117 posts, read 450,585 times
I'm sorry... I don't know about the schools there but I think with the imaginon and the discovery place down there that it would be awesome!

Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweller View Post
Are there any good public schools in uptown? Does anyone raise their kids uptown? When I was there it seemed like it could be a decent place for kids. If not, where are the decent schools in the city of charlotte?
There are very few families with children living in uptown Charlotte - though I think this will change in years to come. First of all, most condos there are very small and not conducive to quality family life, and secondly there are only a handful of houses in uptown to house families.

Right now if you live there I believe kids go to schools assigned to the the Dilworth/Myers Park area. One option for you is to live just outside the I277 loop in the neighborhoods of Dilworth, Myers Park, Elizabeth or Chantilly. There are many families in these old established neighborhoods and they are all literally 5-7 minutes to the center of uptown.

So much depends on how much you want to spend on a home.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:05 PM

316 posts, read 396,405 times
I would not raise my kids uptown -

Old 12-13-2007, 05:27 AM

53 posts, read 204,495 times
Well there are parents raising their kids in center city Philadelphia. If they can raise kids there, they sure as to heck can raise them in uptown Charlotte. All you need is a decent public elementary school, which Center city Philly has a few decent ones. It appears from the post above that 4th ward students would attent a decent public school (Dilworth/Elizabeth?), so my question is answered. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:30 AM

Once again, I live Uptown and I see your professionals with kids and people pushing baby carriages all the time. I think you should go Uptown ona Saturday and ride down some of the side streets Uptown (N. Poplar St, N. Pine St, W. 6th St, W. 9th St, W. 10th St.) and those are just in 4th Ward. You might also want to cruise thru 3rd Ward and 1st Ward too.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 AM

Young professionals that is. I type to fast and didn't proof read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: