Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Confusion about South Charlotte, North Carolina area, Ballantyne southwest of South Park, specific subdivisions Morningside, Williams Station, Wynchase, Fort Mill

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:25 PM

199 posts, read 902,851 times

Advertisements

Okay, my trip is coming up. The way I have found neighborhoods to visit has been by looking at houses online and reading these message boards. But I am confused about how South Park, Ballantyne, Matthews etc. relate to one another. Are these different cities or just areas of Charlotte? Where are these places in relation to one another? Is Matthews in Meck. county or Union?

I haven't found any specific subdivisions in Ballantyne or South Park but maybe that's because I don't know what areas some of the subs are in. I have found subs in Matthews but can't find directions to them. They are: Morningside, Williams Station and Wynchase. I can't even find any info on Williams Station but it seems there are some new houses going up there? Also, is Pineville south Charlotte? How is that area in terms of safety? Looking at Bridlestone sub.

I will also be touring the Fort Mill, Huntersville and University area. But my main concern right now is navigating the south charlotte area. I'm staying at a hotel in South Park. Will I be able to cover South Charlotte, including Matthews fairly easily. Do any highways service these areas? Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 PM

825 posts, read 2,820,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmaoy View Post
Okay, my trip is coming up. The way I have found neighborhoods to visit has been by looking at houses online and reading these message boards. But I am confused about how South Park, Ballantyne, Matthews etc. relate to one another. Are these different cities or just areas of Charlotte? Where are these places in relation to one another? Is Matthews in Meck. county or Union?
Southpark and Ballantyne are different areas of the city of Charlotte. Matthews is a separate town but still within Meck Co. There are Matthews addresses in Union and Meck because Matthews has the closest post office for those areas. Southpark is closer to Uptown, more in the center. Ballantyne is along 485 at the southern edge of the county. Matthews sits off to the southeast.

Quote:
I haven't found any specific subdivisions in Ballantyne or South Park but maybe that's because I don't know what areas some of the subs are in. I have found subs in Matthews but can't find directions to them. They are: Morningside, Williams Station and Wynchase. I can't even find any info on Williams Station but it seems there are some new houses going up there? Also, is Pineville south Charlotte? How is that area in terms of safety? Looking at Bridlestone sub.
Pineville is in the southern area of Meck Co. and is also its own town. It's hard to tell that Pineville is a separate city but this is the case. Pineville is west of the Ballantyne area. Don't have any experience with those subs.

Quote:
I will also be touring the Fort Mill, Huntersville and University area. But my main concern right now is navigating the south charlotte area. I'm staying at a hotel in South Park. Will I be able to cover South Charlotte, including Matthews fairly easily. Do any highways service these areas? Thanks to all.
You shouldn't have any trouble. You can take I-77 South and I-485 East to get to S. Charlotte and Matthews. You can also head south on Providence Road to S. Charlotte, you'll eventually get to 485. You can also take Park Road south towards Pineville. Park Road changes names to Johnston Road and also meets up with 485. As far as going east and west. Pineville-Matthews Road/Highway 51 goes from....shocking....Pineville all the away across the southern portion of Meck Co. into Matthews and beyond.

I tend to think of Charlotte/Meck Co. as a wheel. Uptown is at the center and is (mostly) surrounded by 485. There's no grid system and the streets can be a little confusing. All the best.

Others I'm sure will offer their suggestions.

Last edited by muffinman; 08-07-2007 at 12:55 PM..

Old 08-07-2007, 02:52 PM

Is Ballantyne southwest of South Park? When I look at realtor sites that let you search by area, I will see areas 4,5,and 6 that I assume are south charlotte. What "area" would Ballantyne and South Park be in?

This is the only thing that confuses me because these "areas" are not separate cities that can be searched.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Is Ballantyne southwest of South Park? When I look at realtor sites that let you search by area, I will see areas 4,5,and 6 that I assume are south charlotte. What "area" would Ballantyne and South Park be in?

This is the only thing that confuses me because these "areas" are not separate cities that can be searched.
Ballantyne is pretty much due south of South Park.

South Park and Ballantyne are both in area 5, but South Park is in area 5, subsections 2 and 3, while Ballantyne is in area 5 subsections 5 and the top part of 7. Maybe this realtor site and map can help you picture it better:

Charlotte NC Homes For Sale, Houses for sale, houses, real estate, for sale - helenadamsrealty.com

Old 08-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ballantyne is pretty much due south of South Park.

South Park and Ballantyne are both in area 5, but South Park is in area 5, subsections 2 and 3, while Ballantyne is in area 5 subsections 5 and the top part of 7. Maybe this realtor site and map can help you picture it better:

Charlotte NC Homes For Sale, Houses for sale, houses, real estate, for sale - helenadamsrealty.com
Great! This is what I was trying to figure out. I'll check out the site. Do you know anything about those subdivisions in Matthews and Pineville? Also, is Matthews and Pineville considered nice, safe locations, with relatively easy commute to uptown (and will the light rail be accessible from Matthews)?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Great! This is what I was trying to figure out. I'll check out the site. Do you know anything about those subdivisions in Matthews and Pineville? Also, is Matthews and Pineville considered nice, safe locations, with relatively easy commute to uptown (and will the light rail be accessible from Matthews)?
I will try to answer all your questions

Matthews and Pineville are both considered safe places to live. Matthews is a bit more desirable because Pineville has a large number of apartment complexes, which is a less desirable thing. The commute from Pineville to uptown, especially in the Bridlestone neighborhhood would be hell - unless you plan to park and ride the light rail - then I'd say go for it The light rail is a straight shot from Pineville to uptown. I was on one of the cars tonight and they are very nice. I cannot wait until the line opens this fall!

Matthews is not on the light rail line, and won't be. The decision has been made for Matthews and Mint Hill to be bus lines only - which are already in place and working well for many who travel uptown to work every day.

The Wynchase and Williams Station neighborhoods are right near each other. This is a good area, however, it is in the section of Matthews that is on the other side of hwy 74 from the rest of Matthews (including the town center, hospital, and old downtown itself) so living there you are separated from the majority of Matthews and all it's really expensive neighborhoods. Consequently, home values don't rise there as quickly as they do on the other side of Matthews. BUT, the good news is that you are closer to uptown from there and it does make for a better commute.

Morningside is in Stallings off of Monroe Rd. It is a small neighborhood with no ammenities. Getting to uptown from there would be the most difficult of all the places above. But it is in Union county, so the taxes are lower. And there are certainly tougher places to commute from in Union county.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:56 PM

You didn't mention exactly how much you are looking to spend or if you have kids and need schools - those factors can make a big difference in where to live.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I will try to answer all your questions

Matthews and Pineville are both considered safe places to live. Matthews is a bit more desirable because Pineville has a large number of apartment complexes, which is a less desirable thing. The commute from Pineville to uptown, especially in the Bridlestone neighborhhood would be hell - unless you plan to park and ride the light rail - then I'd say go for it The light rail is a straight shot from Pineville to uptown. I was on one of the cars tonight and they are very nice. I cannot wait until the line opens this fall!

Matthews is not on the light rail line, and won't be. The decision has been made for Matthews and Mint Hill to be bus lines only - which are already in place and working well for many who travel uptown to work every day.

The Wynchase and Williams Station neighborhoods are right near each other. This is a good area, however, it is in the section of Matthews that is on the other side of hwy 74 from the rest of Matthews (including the town center, hospital, and old downtown itself) so living there you are separated from the majority of Matthews and all it's really expensive neighborhoods. Consequently, home values don't rise there as quickly as they do on the other side of Matthews. BUT, the good news is that you are closer to uptown from there and it does make for a better commute.

Morningside is in Stallings off of Monroe Rd. It is a small neighborhood with no ammenities. Getting to uptown from there would be the most difficult of all the places above. But it is in Union county, so the taxes are lower. And there are certainly tougher places to commute from in Union county.

Hope this helps!
This helps tremendously! I can rule out at least one place. I have no problem taking the light rail or bus so it's good to know which areas have access.

In response to your other post, schools for the kids are a factor that I'm also looking at. Although Union County has a good rep for schools, I have read other posts that lead me to believe their curriculum could be stronger.

We probably want to stay between $275 and $300k, but could possibly go a little higher. Taxes are all relative; even in Meck county they will be significantly less than where I'm coming from.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:26 AM

825 posts, read 2,820,738 times
Quote:
This helps tremendously! I can rule out at least one place. I have no problem taking the light rail or bus so it's good to know which areas have access.

In response to your other post, schools for the kids are a factor that I'm also looking at. Although Union County has a good rep for schools, I have read other posts that lead me to believe their curriculum could be stronger.

We probably want to stay between $275 and $300k, but could possibly go a little higher. Taxes are all relative; even in Meck county they will be significantly less than where I'm coming from.
Regarding curriculum, N.C. has a statewide curriculum by law. The impression you may have received is how Union schools teach not what they teach. Even then, each school is different. Textbooks and other materials can vary from county to county but even these are from a list of state adopted materials. Check out North Carolina Public Schools

Last edited by muffinman; 08-08-2007 at 06:40 AM..

Old 08-09-2007, 07:04 PM

After processing this info, and getting ready to visit, I realize I defnitely need a map! But, taking into account the commute to uptown, what would be the ideal location in south Charlotte with good schools, $275 - $300k, 2700+ square foot newer home?

When I say ideal location, it can be either subdivisions, or an area to look, like "Ballantyne south of 485" etc. Just to give me a general vicinity to drive around and look. I just want to drive through some targeted areas and see how I like it.

By the way, if any realtors out there, we will eventually be working with a buyer's agent, I just want to look on my own on this short trip. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte