Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:28 AM

150 posts, read 704,708 times

Advertisements

Is Ikea really coming to Charlotte next year? I read somewhere, I think in the Charlotte Observer, that Ikea was planning to open up a store in the University area sometime early next year. does anyone know if that's still the plan? they make no mention of it on their website. DH is a big fan of Ikea and if we're buying a house by the end of the year, we'd love to shop there for some furniture.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 13,352 times
I read a sign near I-85 exit 45 (if you are going north on I-85). The sign has been there for several months. And you are right, Charlotte is not listed on the Ikea website ("coming soon"). I have been wondering about it. It will be nice if they do open a store in Charlotte.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:38 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,043 times
Your husband will have to wait awhile....the store won't open until Spring 2009.

City Council approves rezoning for Ikea store

Old 07-15-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Your husband will have to wait awhile....the store won't open until Spring 2009.

City Council approves rezoning for Ikea store
Spring 2009 is a long way away.. guess we might end up making a trip to Atlanta or just shopping with them online. The shipping fees are a whopper though.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:18 AM

435 posts, read 1,814,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecociousJewel View Post
The shipping fees are a whopper though.
Tell me about it. I bought an entertainment center (nothing huge- just something small to put a TV on) & I was charged like 33 bucks in shipping charges.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:18 AM

476 posts, read 1,575,698 times
You are so right about shipping. We wanted to purchase a bunk bed and the shipping quote was more than the price of the bed. We had a few things we wanted from Ikea for our pending reloc to Charlotte. We are fortunate enough to have one close to home here in Stoughton, MA so we bought some of the bigger ticket items that would have been too expensive to ship and we have them stored in our garage until our move. Thanks for the info. It is great to know one will be there eventually.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:53 AM

Smart move miklaur, it will save you bundles to bring it down here yourself. We did the same with our mini entertainment shelf when we went up to Fairfax to visit family. Since they're all flat packed and this item fit into our boot, we could bring it down ourselves.Thanks for the feedback everybody. Anyone know of any other furniture stores that have great deals on furniture and home decorative items?

Old 07-15-2007, 12:14 PM

195 posts, read 230,998 times
I am so glad to hear Ikea is coming to town! This area really needs a place like it where you can buy funky reasonably priced things for the home.Hooray!!!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:19 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,800 times
Depends on what you are looking for. Furniture Row is neat. As far as I can tell they seem to have good deals. I bought a sofa, love seat & chair from them out in Colorado. They are actually holding it for me until I move out there. I went to the Furniture Row here in Charlotte & bought two end tables.
Furniture Row: Home of Sofa Mart, Oak Express, Bedroom Expressions, Denver Mattress and Furniture Row Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecociousJewel View Post
Anyone know of any other furniture stores that have great deals on furniture and home decorative items?

Old 07-15-2007, 04:20 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,295 times
If you're looking for "funky" type furniture, I'd recommend trying SouthEnd. There are several places there. Places like EQ3, and By Design are kind of "Ikea-ish". One of my favorites is the Overstock Market on Morehead. Here's a link...

Charlotte's Historic South End, Discover, Celebrate, Live (http://www.historicsouthend.com/areaGuide.asp?keywords=&searchType=5&subCategory=0 &price=&subCategory=0&subCategory=0&subCategory=26 7 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte