Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:36 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,942,200 times

Advertisements

This is not as general as the other moving threads here I reckon.

I'll be moving to the Charleston area this summer from the Baltimore area as I'm going to be attending one of the graduate programs at UC. I was previously at a program in downtown Baltimore and had to leave and I feel very blessed to have this opportunity in West Virginia. I had a very good impression of Charleston though it was a two day 1 night stay. I stayed at Motel 6 and went to Lonestar Steakhouse and visited the campus for an interview which obviously went well. I found Charleston and the rest of WV including Fairmont and Morgantown and Buckhannon to be very friendly with gorgeous scenery. I am also just recently single again, and many of my friends have left the Baltimore region for Southern and western states so I guess I really will be starting again in WV. I am nervous about going to a new environment but I'm told WV is a good fit for me by all of my friends.

I'm wondering if y'all can recommend anything. I would like to be within a 20 minute drive of the University of Charleston campus. I'm not really into the yuppie scene and I do not need to live downtown. I prefer suburban and rural living over city living. I'd prefer to be south of the river, especially if the bridges over the river can become traffic bottlenecks during rush hour since i will have to be at the campus between 8 and 10 AM every morning. If traffic really isn't a problem and y'all have locations north of it all suggestions are welcome. I also would like to be within a 20 minute drive of a Walmart Supercenter (to be dead honest this is very important to me as its where I shop for almost everything), some nice parks for spending time outdoors, and to have some bars (I prefer more laid back taverns/honky tonks like here in Baltimore County vs massive clubs though I dont' mind those once in a while). And close to a good selection of restaurants (the major chains, steakhouse, Chinese, Italian, Mexican). A local diner will also be a big plus. I also hope to find a good church in the area, preferrably a large Baptist, Southern Baptist, or nondeminational evangelical church. Again I define close as a 20 minute drive. In terms of hobbies it will be nice to have some hiking areas and a shooting range nearby but this is not as important as the above.

Its very important for me to be in a quiet area (another reason I don't want to be downtown) since I'll be studying some evenings I really cannot deal with a lot of rowdiness or ghettoness outside or with a place where you have young thugs and punks who trespass on your property, vandalize your car, attempt break ins etc. I know Charleston is nothing like Baltimore City in terms of crime, drugs, and illegal immigration but you can never be too careful about urban ills these days. Here in Baltimore we know the very clear difference between a blue collar community (where I live in now and am very comfortable) vs a ghetto. What is considered a bad part of town and how bad is it? In Baltimore a bad part of towns means you fear for your life when you go there. What are neaby towns that look close on the map like Marmet, South Charleston, Nitro, or Cabin Creek like? Are there any tolls on any of the local highways cause I know the Turnpike technically begins near Kanawha City. I defintiely do NOT want to pay any tolls on my daily commute. If I can, on my way out of Baltimore I will turn in my EZ Pass at their office and announce to them at Governor O'Malley will not be stealing another cent from me again! Along the same lines am I correct in assuming West Virginia gas prices will not go up significantly in the future? There are no more plans to raise the gas tax, right? Fingers crossed! How much snows does Charleston typically get? Are the roads generally treated quickly? This of course will factor into where I want to commute from. or is it like Baltimore where the city shuts down easily when it snows.

I would prefer to live alone and pay less than $850 a month for rent, preferrably between $600 and $800. I think my best preference would be a garden style apartment with a lot of open space in the neighborhood, with an outdoor pool and a gym inside the neighborhood and free parking if possible. All inclusive utilities are also a plus. I live in such a community now and pay $900 a month and we also are gated with security. I'm also open to renting a trailer. I've heard that for a trailer there is usually a ground rent that isn't too much, then the rent for the trailer itself? Where I live now, I have friends who live a trailer parks and despite how that sounds, it seems like a good deal and some of these trailers are nicer on the inside than many apartments. Again I've seen the stereotypical, run down trailer park, but also some very nice trailer parks that are very clean and quiet with very decent residents.

What's the culture overall like in Charleston? I've found most people on my visit to be very welcoming, laid back, and hospitable which I what I am used to but that was just a brief visit. I hope to not be limited to the social scene on the campus. In Baltimore I was actually able to make a lot of good friends just by being neighbors or by going to the same gym or church. I met my last girlfriend cause she worked across the street from me.

Is the culture very formal like the other Charleston? Or more casual and informal? Is there a very Southern influence? If so that will be nice as before Maryland, I was born in Louisiana and lived there through middle school and people claim I have a small town southern mentality and tastes. Is the Confederate flag considered a racist symbol in WV? I am actually a minority but I am very assimilated (I even have quite a few friends who call themelves "rednecks") and have one in my window here to show my pride in being from Louisiana originally and as a show of support for traditional values includign low taxes and gun rights. People here are generally fine with it.

I plan to make one more trip to Charleston in May before I move in early August or late July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
I have no idea what the best rentals are in Charleston as it's something I've never had to seek out but I will note that bottlenecks on the bridges are just as relevant to your experience as crime is.

Bottlenecks in Charleston would for the most part be smooth sailing compared to Baltimore (as least using my last experience there).

Nobody pays much attention to what you place in your vehicles windows.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 AM

6,088 posts, read 9,124,662 times
Hi,

First off early welcome to the Charleston area. I've lived there all of my life, except this past year I have been going to college in Florida, so I can help a little. If you are going to UC and want to be on the south side of the river, I would recommend Kanawha City itself. Kanawha City some some friendly quiet neighborhoods, and there is plenty of restaurants and shopping in that part of town. There is two Walmarts less than 20 mins away. If you were just going to Walmart and doing nothing else I'd recommend going to the Quincy Walmart which is south of Kanawha City past Marmet. You would dive down the turnpike two exits from Kanawha City. It is newer, but smaller than the other and is less busy. If you were planning on doing other shopping or just wanted to go to the bigger store than the Southridge Walmart is a little bit closer, but traffic can be bad out that way and that store is always crowded. But there is all kinds of other stores near that Walmart like Target, Capela's, Kholes, Sam's Club, Dick's, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc... Kanawha City has a pretty nice Kmart (actually nicest I've ever seen {I know that isn't saying much LOL}) There is also a Lowe's, Elder Beerman, Kroger, Gabriel Brother's, and some other stuff in Kanawha City itself as well. Again I'd look in this area because its nice and really close to UC. If not there then I'd recommend the South Hills area, but prices are a little more there. As for tolls, there aren't any tolls until you pass by the Quincy/East Bank exit on the turnpike going south, so you would have none unless you were traveling south for whatever reason. Culture in the area is really a mesh or melting pot. You have a little bit of everything because of the type of city Charleston is. You have some Southern charm, with some Northern and Midwestern grit. I'd say there is a split between Conservative and Liberal values. Obama and Romney split the vote almost in half here. Not really much of a party town. we do have some bars/clubs, but most people usually go home around 8-9 pm. Capitol Street in downtown is becoming a fun hot spot for just about anything. Charleston is getting a new Brew Pub near there that opens soon too. As for churches, I'd recommend Bible Center. It's a good non-denominational evangelical church that is relatively big. But its not mega church size, and is really comfortable. They have a lot of outreach in the community. If you want to drive to Clendenin, I'd recommend my church (First Baptist of Clendenin), we are a small church, but very friendly and inviting.

If any other questions please ask! Glad to help!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no idea what the best rentals are in Charleston as it's something I've never had to seek out but I will note that bottlenecks on the bridges are just as relevant to your experience as crime is.

Bottlenecks in Charleston would for the most part be smooth sailing compared to Baltimore (as least using my last experience there).

Nobody pays much attention to what you place in your vehicles windows.
This is very good to know!!!! I've visited cities like Washington DC and St. Louis where a lot of people commute across a river and all the traffic is forced onto only a handful of bridges. And at least the Charleston bridges are not tolled which is how it should be I was actually surprised to see the "toll road" signs on I-77 good thing my exit was before any toll plaza. If the commuters south of town have to pay turnpike tolls I'd rather not do that.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 AM

16,690 posts, read 15,693,414 times
There are no mobile homes within the city limits of Charleston. Outlawed by ordinance.

You should also consider living in South Charleston. As long as you stay east of Jefferson Road, you can be at UC within your time frame easily. South Charleston would be less expensive than South Hills, and the city has better services than Charleston. Trash is picked up twice per week, and they take away anything you put out (no hassling with furniture or appliances). In the winter, all the streets in the city get cleaned off as soon as it starts to snow.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:57 AM

Thanks a lot for all the info so far from everyone.

I'm doing some research online and are considering Country Club Village in South Charleston which google says is only 10 minutes from the campus. There is also the Presidio in Cross Lanes/Nitro though that says the driving time is 20 minutes which also is doable since I've been doing a 20 minute commute here in Baltimore for a while. Cross Lanes would be across the bridge but as long as there are few bottlenecks in the weekday mornings that would be totally fine. Also found a Walmart nearby both. Nitro also seems to have a truck stop so they probably have some food open at all hours. I wonder what kind of offerings are available at Southridge Center as I can't seem to find a website and can only tell there is a Chick fil A and Walmart Supercenter there. I find it funny South Charleston is technically north of Charleston though its on the opposite side of the river.

Still looking at other options.......again I don't need to live in a very ritzy area I'll be fine as long as its safe and quiet. I do hope to save money on rent as much as possible, and on gas too. Charleston's gas prices are currently higher than Baltimore's, as least my part of the Bmore area, but that will change this summer since Maryland increased the gas tax AGAIN in order to fund Baltimore's new subway line.

A few friends I know who grew up around Charleston but don't live there anymore say to think twice about Nitro because of the factories there and apparent air quality issues. I've heard some things about the "chemical valley". Is this really warranted? i live in an area now with a lot of heavy industry despite the steel plant shutting down and it has never been an issue for me.

WHat is y'alls favorite local diner in the area?

If I can't find an all inclusive place, how expensive generally are the utilities in the Charleston area? I pay $900 a month now in Baltimore COunty but that includes all my gas, electric and water and I do keep my apartment very warm in the winter.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,424,482 times
For a church, check out Randolph Street Baptist Church. I know a lot of people there and it's just phenomenal.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 AM

16,690 posts, read 15,693,414 times
Nobody can depend on getting to Charleston from Cross Lanes on time when it rains. Every time it rains, somebody wrecks a car on the interstate bridge between Dunbar and South Charleston.

Los Agaves for Mexican. Fazio's for Italian. Pies & Pints for pizza.

I can't imagine getting through the Jefferson Road/Kanawha Turnpike coming from Country Club Village every morning and trying to get to UC.

South Charleston is WEST of Charleston, but it IS south of North Charleston, which is not a serparate city, but part of Charleston. South Charleston is on the same side of the river as half of Charleston.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,885,585 times
Major road renovation in the area of Jefferson Road is on the drawing board. How would this pan out for somebody trying to get to UC?

Also, I wouldn't want that traffic going from Nitro/Cross Lanes/ St. Albans to UC on a morning commute.

You need to visit the area and get a pictorial view of where you will be and what is available.

How is the price of housing in Marmet? Are there rentals there? Coming north and getting off on McCorkle would have to be better than coming from the west.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 PM

I've narrowed down on some specific apartment complexes around South Charleston.

South Charleston is sounding better for me especially if the commute from Nitro or Cross Lanes can be annoying in the mornings. Charleston doesn't seem to be large enough of a city to have terrible traffic jams but I can see how there can be issues in inclement weather.

Country Club Village and Southmoor look nice in terms of specific apartment complexes? Anyone here able to shed some light on these areas? I know the company that runs Country Club Village also owns The Presidio in Cross Lanes. Is Cross Lanes considered a more upscale, expensive suburb of Charleston? I'm trying to avoid any truly bad areas but like an area with a good bargain. I am NOT looking for loft type housing in the city center that's for sure.

WHat about the Roxalana Hills apartments in Dunbar and Sable Point in Hurricane?

I don't seem to be able to find much rentals or apartment complexes in Marmet. On Google there IS some apartment rentals on California Street but from the picture outside it looks like a dump and has very few amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston