Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 15,479 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move from Boston to Charleston next September, and I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what people in Charleston are like. I've lived in Boston for 5 years now, but I lived in Alabama for 18 (also WI for 4 and CA for 1--bit of a mutt). If I had to choose, I'd prefer the snobby New England intellectualism to the fake-polite thing that seems to happen so often in the South, but ideally I'd like to avoid both extremes.

I'm also relatively young (27), so I'm looking for a place that has excitement and nightlife (to appease my 20-something side) as well as culture, scenery, and the option to relax and be outdoors once in a while (the 20-something party lifestyle *is* getting old quickly). Can anyone give me some idea of the entertainment options in Charleston?

Hope that's not too vague. I seem to have trouble defining what it is I mean. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 12:19 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times
Between the art galleries, dance clubs, bars, restaurants, plantations and gardens, theatres, beaches, concerts, events in the parks, minor league baseball/hockey, major league soccer, etc., I think Charleston will appeal to your 20-something side AND any other side you could possibly have.

There's just too much to list in one post.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:29 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,871,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Between the art galleries, dance clubs, bars, restaurants, plantations and gardens, theatres, beaches, concerts, events in the parks, minor league baseball/hockey, major league soccer, etc., I think Charleston will appeal to your 20-something side AND any other side you could possibly have.

There's just too much to list in one post.
I believe you left out Spoleto, an opera festival with a lot of other options, goes on for several weeks, great fun. A tour of the Citadel campus is always entertaining and "Huger St." is not pronounced as it is spelt. "You-Gee" is what you will hear. Oh yeah, in Summer there is always the Beach.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:06 PM

25 posts, read 104,450 times
Check out the Charleston City Paper on-line -- it will give you a great flavor of activities going on in the area. With the colleges downtown, a thriving arts community, great restaurants and recreational opportunities, you're bound to find friends and something to do here!!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,512 times
I will be relocating to Charleston SC in 2-3 years. I am 31 and was wondering if anyone could tell me what communities would be best to live in, where I can walk to stores, etc. I do not know anyone in Charleston but that does not bother me! I love meeting new people and am involved in a lot of activities. Thanks for your help!
Rebecca

Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,525,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rma1979 View Post
I will be relocating to Charleston SC in 2-3 years. I am 31 and was wondering if anyone could tell me what communities would be best to live in, where I can walk to stores, etc. I do not know anyone in Charleston but that does not bother me! I love meeting new people and am involved in a lot of activities. Thanks for your help!
Rebecca

It is hard to answer your question. What is a good spot to live in NOW
may not be so in 2/3 years...

Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,440 times
Charleston arts - they still exist, it is relatively small city. The CSO (Charleston Symphony Orchestra) has been struggling for years and finally settled down last spring. All musicians were from other places, so no locals - it is not a tradition here anyway. Some small chamber groups are giving in house concerts. You can come to Charleston Concert Association | but it is occasional. Charleston museums - Gibbs has small but collection. Private houses are interesting as well as plantations if you like southern history. I wouldn't accept a fact that Charleston lacks a culture - it has what it is. Snobby intellectualism - well, if you look for it you find it :-)

Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,467,081 times
Do advanced searches of this forum using keywords of what you are looking for. These questions are asked over and over again and have been answered numerous times. I'm sure you'll get most of your questions answered. After you've done that THEN come back with more specific questions.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,080,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Do advanced searches of this forum using keywords of what you are looking for. These questions are asked over and over again and have been answered numerous times. I'm sure you'll get most of your questions answered. After you've done that THEN come back with more specific questions.

My goodness, I think someone needs a nap or a vitamin or something. It's just a message board for heaven's sakes. No one is making you reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area