Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times

Advertisements

We take advantage of Harris Teeter 20% off. -- especially if they have a fave wine on sale. The Pig does the same now and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,321,831 times
I'm still trying to figure out what the cashier wrote on that paper after looking at my license checking out at Total Wine...anyone know?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,675,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what the cashier wrote on that paper after looking at my license checking out at Total Wine...anyone know?
I expect verification of name on license to name on credit card fi you purchased with a debit or credit card. Also could be an age check if you look young.

Two major liquor stores (same owner) in Columbia. One asks for identification when using a credit/debit card (near USC/downtown) the other out in the burbs does not and at my age, I assure you it is not for age verification...LOL

Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I expect verification of name on license to name on credit card fi you purchased with a debit or credit card. Also could be an age check if you look young.

Two major liquor stores (same owner) in Columbia. One asks for identification when using a credit/debit card (near USC/downtown) the other out in the burbs does not and at my age, I assure you it is not for age verification...LOL
Well, I get the license check for both of those reasons, but after verifying my ID, he took a legal pad from the side of the cash register, wrote something on it, then put it back and rang me out...

Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
Was it an out of town drivers license. May be a way of tracking who comes in the store. oh and I so would have asked.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Was it an out of town drivers license. May be a way of tracking who comes in the store. oh and I so would have asked.
SC license

Mt P address

Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM

124 posts, read 335,778 times
Total Wine always writes on the clipboard after they check ID. I think it's just your birthday. In regular grocery stores, they can key your birthday in at the register and it logs it on a tape, but Total Wine's registers don't do that. This is probably for extra verification if ever needed.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomarj View Post
Total Wine always writes on the clipboard after they check ID. I think it's just your birthday. In regular grocery stores, they can key your birthday in at the register and it logs it on a tape, but Total Wine's registers don't do that. This is probably for extra verification if ever needed.
Interesting thought. What good is any birthday without anything else? It felt like they wrote one thing.

On the drive home, it felt like they were writing my name to watch for continuous visitation. That, I don't like. I do not like people tracking my vodka purchases, because I love a good bloody mary or vodka tonic.

If they were doing it to match it up with the Visa books, that makes sense, but I just don't know.

I would normally have asked, but at the time, thought it was normal. I also thought later, that, someone on city-data would have experienced the same thing over there. Maybe because I was new, a name take-down is customary?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,962,514 times
They probably wrote the letter Y on your receipt.

It's sort of like the scarlet letter A...only here we use the technique for identifying Yankees at a glance.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,425,811 times
this is a late addition to the discussion ... but you might want to check out Sauer Grapes on Daniel Island. ostensibly a wine bar but they also stock a lot of wines that are hard to find .. at discount prices.. they range from very expensive to rather middle of the road at 10-20% lower than Total.....European Beers as well .. they open at 3 pm ... and stay open till about 10pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area