Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,574,918 times

Advertisements

I searched but didn't find any recent info on pest control. We just bought a house in West Ashley 6 weeks ago and I'm starting to see a few palmetto bugs skulking around. A couple of the indoor ones were belly up on the floor. Would this indicate that there is active current pest treatment in the house?

Also, the mosquitoes are becoming a problem. Does the city do neighborhood treatment, and can I call someone to request this?

My other questions are:

1. Do you have thoughts on hiring a pest control company vs. DIY?
2. Who can you recommend if I hire someone? How much does it cost?
3. What do you use if you DIY? What & where should be treated?
4. We have a transferable termite bond. What exactly does that mean? Does it have any bearing on who we use or if the treatment service costs money?
5. How often should we do treatment?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
A couple of the indoor ones were belly up on the floor. Would this indicate that there is active current pest treatment in the house?
They might have just had a late night...

We use Spectracide BugStop - get it at Lowe's.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 AM

183 posts, read 356,864 times
Not sure about your other questions, but I can give a recommendation.

Anchor Pest Management | Pest Control Charleston SC

This is a locally-owned business. They are really nice guys and will do an inspection. They do pest control where I work. When we had a fruit fly problem a couple weeks back, they came in and put out some traps at no extra charge.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,679,579 times
Jonah, thanks for asking. We'll be looking forward to the recommendations you receive as well. There is buzzing in my chimney so it seems I have a hive or nest growing in there.

As far as Mosquitos go, we had a horrible problem with them last year when we first moved in. The back half of our back yard is completely wild, and we discovered the ground was covered with years of fallen leaves and pine needles. Cleaning that up made a huge difference in the bug problem. I don't know if you have any similar problem spots in your yard, but if you do fixing those goes a long way towards fixing the problem.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,582 times
The transferable termite bond... the original (or some homeowner before you) purchased a termite bond from a pest control company. Transferable means you can give it to the next person that owns the house and the bond doesn't end with the person leaving - it kind of stays with the house... You'll have to read it for specifics as to what you have to do to keep the bond intact... here is a good explanation:

What Is a Termite Bond?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,574,918 times
Good info so far...thanks.

Rozanneself, we have a similar condition in our yard with piles of magnolia leaves. I was wondering why people bother to bag them up. I'll have to put that on my to-do list.

Robynn, that termite bond link is very informative. I'll find mine and read it over.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
If they are dead inside the house was probably treated. Dead bugs inside are a good sign!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area