Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 02:52 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,084,588 times

Advertisements

So, my dumb-phone voice-and-text-only family plan is no longer a deal thanks to all the fees and surcharges tacked onto it. I'm paying upwards of $70/month for voice and texting on two lines, no data, and that's with a 22% discount. I'm not on contract, so I'm free to do as I want.
I was planning to switch to T-mobile's 1000 min family plan and add the minimum $10 worth of data service to each phone (200 MB). This would have increased my bill to $80/month plus tax&surcharges, but stuck me with whatever crappy free phones they provide, and a 2 year contract.

Then I found a 3rd-party provider "Consumer Cellular" offering no-contract monthly ala-carte services. For 300 shared minutes, 50mb shared data, and 500 shared messages, the total cost would be $35/month +taxes and surcharges. Sim cards only, no phones.

So my plan now is to buy two used/older model wifi-capable android phones (probably HTC or Samsung), unlock them, and install Consumer Cellular cards. We'll start at 300mins +50mb ($35) data and go up to 700mins ($45) if necessary.

We use about 300 minutes a month outside the house on cell towers and another 500mins at home, usually late at night. At home (also at starbucks etc of course) we have wifi, and with the phones set to connect to our home network, we can call through Skype without burning up any minutes or data. The 50mb would be for checking maps, showtimes, email, bus arrival (maybe 3-4 times a week) etc while out and about.

Questions:

1. Anybody heard of Consumer Cellular? Reviews? Supposedly they use the AT&T network so coverage should be great. Does this plan make sense?

2. Suggestions for a solid Android phone in the $100-$150 range (Amazon, used-good condition) which can wifi/skype as I've described.

3. Do I need to buy an unlocked phone or can I unlock pretty much anything GSM-capable, myself? I've region-freed my wii, modded my PSP OS and such, so I'm reasonably capable with software mods and jailbreaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 AM

Oh, did I forget to mention that I give reps for helpful answers?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,291,271 times
I don't know about those plans and such, but I don't think that there are any cell phones that will work under the Cone of Silence.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 AM

16,597 posts, read 19,822,146 times
1) Never heard of them.

2) I think the HTC Droid Bionic or Samsung Galaxy S2 would be a good phone for you. Make sure you get one that was used on the ATT or Tmobile network. Verizon phones do NOT use SIM cards.

3) The 2 I mentioned are easily "rooted".

4) I'd be surprised if people REALLY care about rep points. I mean, sure nice to see someone like your post, but as a motivation to reply to a post? I doubt that drives many people.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,265,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
So, my dumb-phone voice-and-text-only family plan is no longer a deal thanks to all the fees and surcharges tacked onto it. I'm paying upwards of $70/month for voice and texting on two lines, no data, and that's with a 22% discount. I'm not on contract, so I'm free to do as I want.
I was planning to switch to T-mobile's 1000 min family plan and add the minimum $10 worth of data service to each phone (200 MB). This would have increased my bill to $80/month plus tax&surcharges, but stuck me with whatever crappy free phones they provide, and a 2 year contract.

Then I found a 3rd-party provider "Consumer Cellular" offering no-contract monthly ala-carte services. For 300 shared minutes, 50mb shared data, and 500 shared messages, the total cost would be $35/month +taxes and surcharges. Sim cards only, no phones.

So my plan now is to buy two used/older model wifi-capable android phones (probably HTC or Samsung), unlock them, and install Consumer Cellular cards. We'll start at 300mins +50mb ($35) data and go up to 700mins ($45) if necessary.

We use about 300 minutes a month outside the house on cell towers and another 500mins at home, usually late at night. At home (also at starbucks etc of course) we have wifi, and with the phones set to connect to our home network, we can call through Skype without burning up any minutes or data. The 50mb would be for checking maps, showtimes, email, bus arrival (maybe 3-4 times a week) etc while out and about.

Questions:

1. Anybody heard of Consumer Cellular? Reviews? Supposedly they use the AT&T network so coverage should be great. Does this plan make sense?

2. Suggestions for a solid Android phone in the $100-$150 range (Amazon, used-good condition) which can wifi/skype as I've described.

3. Do I need to buy an unlocked phone or can I unlock pretty much anything GSM-capable, myself? I've region-freed my wii, modded my PSP OS and such, so I'm reasonably capable with software mods and jailbreaks.
I cannot help you with consumer cellular since I use TMobile pay as you go plan because I do not need internet while out and about and can get internet on any open wifi or wifi that I have the password of for free when within range of one and I have been happy with them for the most part. Also my advice would be to not buy a used phone unless you get it from a friend and instead buy a new phone from one of the many companies who sell new unlocked phones including the following ones below, click on the links and see your choices and prices.
Walmart
Newegg
Compusa

My home has wifi and when I worked my office had wifi and so do most coffee shops etc, so unless you must do searches and receive emails while on the go, you might wish to save a lot of money and do something similar to what I do depending on your minute usage. Hope it works out whichever way you go.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,265,700 times
Whoops, I forgot to add, Walmart unlocked phones HERE

Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 AM

I'll be buying through Amazon. Regarding used/refurbished phones, suggestions? I want to keep costs down, but not at the expense of having a 2 hour battery which costs me more to replace than the phone itself.

I was looking at the google (htc) nexus one. I know it's an old (2010) phone, but there are some for sale for the $100 range. If I want to spend 100-150 is it better for me to get a "cheap" new 2012 phone or an expensive older model that's devalued?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,291,271 times
Whoever asked me, "What's the cone of silence?", you need to watch a few episodes of the TV show, "Get Smart".

Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 AM

16,597 posts, read 19,822,146 times
The Nexus would be a good choice, but I think it was only on Verizon. Double check that it will accept a SIM card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones