Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 10:27 AM

81 posts, read 37,119 times

Advertisements

Back in Jan of this year, Albert was a malnourished, underweight, dehydrated stray that was captured on the streets. From then until the end of May, he spent his life inside some form or another of enclosed space...first at the pound, then at PetSmart, where we adopted him.

We knew he had issues going in, but in the time we've had him we've come to realize he was on the verge of being put down due to the cost of his medical issues.

First, he had an ear infection...we're still battling that. We found he had significant tartar and plaque build up along with severe gingivitis. He was already missing 11 teeth and, during cleaning, he lost five more. The vet showed us x-rays that revealed just how severe his dental issues were. We scheduled him then to have his remaining teeth removed. He's there now.

All told, in the four months we've had Albert, his vet bills are approaching $2000 so far. However, I honestly believe that is some of the best money we've ever spent. We've had cats for over twenty years and spare no expense when it comes to their health.

I say this not to brag, but rather proud of how far we've been able to help Albert come in a short time. He's happy (well, except for today when he didn't get breakfast), getting healthier and more active by the day, his coat is shiny and full, he runs and jumps and bats his toys around. Seeing him grow from the condition he was in when we brought him home to today, I have never had a cat touch my heart in such a manner as Albert has. We know that, once his issues came to light at PetSmart or the pound, he would have been put down as I don't believe either facility could have put forth the time, effort and money necessary to save him.
Attached Thumbnails
Albert's Third Major Vet Visit-albert3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 12:10 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I love this post! And the picture of Albert and his kick-kick-kick Game. A match made in heaven. Thanks for keeping us updated on your special Red Boy!

Old 09-30-2021, 12:37 PM

81 posts, read 37,119 times
Just got a call from the vet. He made it through the dental surgery just fine, he was anesthetized at 11:00, had surgery and was bright eyed at 1:00 "with a strong desire for food" they said

He officially has no teeth now...(anybody know anything about kitty dentures? LOL)

They'll keep him under observation for another 2 hours, we go get him at 4:30...and feed him

And, yes, that little kick thing is hilarious! He has that and a mint arrow thing he loves to smack around everywhere

Old 09-30-2021, 02:22 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Oh I'm so happy that you posted this. Albert was meant to be your kitty. He's going to be feeling so much better soon, and I hope he's kicking away with his toy very soon.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:30 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
You are dong a wonderful thing. I think he will be Ok without some teeth. One of our cats ( a semi feral or stray who came knocking on the door, has missing teeth. When we took her for the first vet exam he said she was missing most of her back teeth, I presume she was born without them, as she was malnourished when she knocked on the door. She eats food without any problems. Wishing you & Albert many happy snuggles in the years to come.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:43 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Yay, Albert!

Cat

Old 09-30-2021, 04:13 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
It is always so nice to see a cat that has been through so much get a chance at a happy rest of their life. Albert won the cat lottery when you came along. What a nice ginger cat; I have a real soft spot for them

Old 10-01-2021, 08:57 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Hooray for Albert! He'll be fine without his teeth.

He sure won the cat lottery when he found you.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:32 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Such wonderful progress Albert has made. What a pretty kitty you have nurtured him into!

Old 10-01-2021, 11:03 AM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Thank you for this Albert post, hde. Caring for the unwanted is a noble mission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats