Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 12:47 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times

Advertisements

Its been just a fortnight since I said goodbye to Sammypuss who was 17. I don't know if he had kidney disease, but surely those last few months he was urinating a lot. (He died of other issues.) But what was different was his vomit. Instead of "normal" cat vomit, the intensity was brutal and what he came up with was thick foamy gastric juices unlike I have ever seen in cats which I have had my entire life. It even turned the removal spray a different color.

Pet care is a balancing act. You can choose being humane and letting go and not feel guilty about not having the $. Its heartbreaking I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 07:07 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Again, what can be done other than what I listed above (sub Q fluids at home could be added)?
Depends on the stage of failure. If caught early, there is treatment that can extend a cat's life up to several years. Once it hits stage three, a person can only manage it, and once to stage four, that is when the kidneys have basically failed and a cat passes pretty quickly.

But what you listed above are the things to do. and hydration via food should always be done anyway (I hate dry food only diets).

But this is what the visit to the vet is for, the tests will determine the level of kidney failure, if it is even kidney failure. It seems the classic signs of it though.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:26 PM

83 posts, read 68,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Did you seek veterinary care and, if so, what was the vet able to do for your cat? As I understand it, there's nothing that CAN be done for chronic kidney failure other than what can be done at home by the owner (discontinue dry food, feed a lower-protein wet food and add water to it to increase hydration).
Yes I took her about two weeks ago.

She does not have kidney failure thank god!

She has hyperthyroidism which can be medicated to control this condition.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:50 PM

2,349 posts, read 614,996 times
That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know you took her to the vet.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:38 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
OP, I am glad you took your kitty in. I'm sure she'll be feeling better once the medication starts to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats