Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 04:33 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,266 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry for your loss. I recognize and empathize the emptiness that accompanies the loss of a beloved pet.

Wise choice to switch vets. Out of 'kindness' to other cat patrons, you may want to mention the dog incidents. Cats do not need the extra stressor while visiting vets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 05:09 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Old 02-20-2020, 06:33 PM

294 posts, read 180,025 times
So sorry for your loss- Wendy is now free and running. She will watch over you.

I would probably also change vets, if you have the option of other vets. Probably I wouldn’t bother to explain why as they probably don’t understand.

Thinking of you.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:15 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
So sorry for your loss- Wendy is now free and running. She will watch over you.

I would probably also change vets, if you have the option of other vets. Probably I wouldn’t bother to explain why as they probably don’t understand.

Thinking of you.
My heart goes out to you OP. Wendy will always be with you, and she knew she was loved.
Run free at the Bridge, sweet girl.

As to the bolded.... they could be uncaring. But the routine of daily work there may have made them complacent about the feelings of their clients & patients. It wouldn't hurt to remind them of their responsibilities, like the candle thing.
But there's no excuse for 2 large breed dogs having free run of the exam/treatment room. That would be the reason I would change vets.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:27 PM

56 posts, read 30,297 times
Thank you all again for your kind words.

It's now been a week since I sent Wendy along to the Rainbow Bridge. I still miss her but the tears have subsided. I picked up her urn and remains from her vet on Monday. I did not mention my bad experiences since I'm never coming back to this vet.

There is a cat-shaped hole in my heart. I miss taking care of a cat, petting a cat, and having a cat greet me at the door. I do want to adopt again but my parents are hesitant. (I live on my own, but I am away a lot so a new cat would have to stay with my parents.) I don't know when the right time is to welcome a new furry friend into my life. Do I wait another week? A couple of months? A whole year or two? My dad suggested giving up "cats" for Lent this year which rubbed me the wrong way.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:17 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz64 View Post
There is a cat-shaped hole in my heart. I miss taking care of a cat, petting a cat, and having a cat greet me at the door. I do want to adopt again but my parents are hesitant. (I live on my own, but I am away a lot so a new cat would have to stay with my parents.) I don't know when the right time is to welcome a new furry friend into my life. Do I wait another week? A couple of months? A whole year or two? My dad suggested giving up "cats" for Lent this year which rubbed me the wrong way.
There's no "right" or "wrong" amount of time to wait. If you are missing a cat in your life, by all means visit a local shelter and adopt one (or two)! You'll be filling that hole and saving a life.

As for your parents, you can hire a professional pet sitter if you don't want to ask them to care for your cat.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:05 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
My sweet little girl is gone.
I'm so sorry.

Quote:
One thing that irked me was that after Wendy was given her sedation shot the vet didn't come back for a half hour.
Wow, that's irresponsible and inconsiderate, to say the least. When I took Checkers for his final visit, the vet gave him the sedation, and then asked if I wanted some time with him; she was back in 15 minutes. If I'd have said no, she probably would have been back in 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
At my vet's office, there is a candle in the waiting room that is lit to remind people to be considerate when a pet is being euthanized.
I love that.

My vet has a separate entrance for a "comfort room", a large room set up like a living room, and big enough so the whole family can be there. It was nice just to be able to sit there for awhile with Checkers before the procedure started, and after the vet had taken his body away, I had a chance to pull myself together before driving home somewhere other than a sterile exam room or a busy waiting room.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:10 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Thank you both. They let me know I can pick Wendy's ashes up on Monday, so when I go I will let them know about my bad experience and suggest the idea with the candle.

However, I will not ever go back to this vet again with future pets. To add on to my bad experience there are two large mastiff dogs that they keep in the office that entered the exam room while I was waiting. Seeing them made Wendy nervous. It was completely inappropriate and these dogs have barged into the exam room sniffing around almost every time I visit.
I am so sorry for your loss, but remember, "Love is eternal". I agree about switching vets, maybe look for a cat only hospital. Having the dogs barge in on cats in ridiculous. It is bad enough to encounter curious dogs in the waiting room, but absolutely absurd in an examination room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats