Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 02:35 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times

Advertisements

Ok, for almost 8yrs we have had our indoor girl treated by a vet. I caught a male tom & he only was 1/2 neutered by the same vet a wk or 2 ago. Thus, I called yest asking another vet re this & they wnet ahead & had the bld wk, etc. faxed form MY vet to them now.

So, how do I resolve this? Yes, I think my vet has been v good. But I questioned 'running out of time' & not accounting for a complication in feral's neuter (by taking him 1 hr prior to closing the office, to even allow time to do the neuter), as a testicle is inside body -- & therefore needed way more time than normal in a surgery. However they 1/2 neutered him, then asked me to return in 3-4 wks & w/ again a need to re-trap him & pay a 2nd fee & hit him again w/ anesthesia!!

Dunno know if I can even do it but will try to trap him. So, I only wanted a 2nd opinion of sorts yet it turned into a drama, over me looking as If I'm 'leaving or firing' my old vet due to this feral issue. How best to go forward re this? The new vet called & asked when I would trap him & I said, 'oops, umm hold on a min as I'm not sure I was even going to bring to you?'. They said, 'well we've got his records from 14 days ago from old vet, so it is your choice'. Great I said...

Now what?? Other than worrying old vet would somehow take offense to this, how would I bring our indoor here to continue her 8yrs of followup (from when she had her -131 radiation in '12) & has been this old vet's patient for that long?

You see the dilemma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 02:41 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
No dilemma. If you want to use the new vet for Blackie and continue to bring Syl to the other vet, there is no reason not to do it that way. Many people do in fact.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:06 PM

I just think she'll compromise care for Syl? But I don't know whether I should apologize or what??

Old 01-03-2020, 03:19 PM

Apologize to who? For what? You are not obligated to use your indoor cat's vet exclusively. If you want to transfer Blackie's care to another vet there isn't any reason not to. He's your cat and you want to do what's best for him. You are allowed to choose.

Surely your vet is a professional, and a caring person too, and would never withhold the best of care for Syl, whatever choice you make for Blackie.. What kind of person would do that?

Old 01-03-2020, 04:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
I use two vets, been so for years. You are the customer, do what makes you feel good.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:40 PM

I do sincerely appreciate the advice. I'm just OCD-leery, as vets are a business 1st & as such the loss of a cat = loss of revenue. I just know the mindset, as vets make very little of what MD's make -- as no insurance for pets mostly vs for humans. Thus the intrepidation & the watching -- what & who I say things to. It is ALWAYS misconstrued as a slight to ego or ability & never a "customer has the right", kind of attitude/understanding. Actually more like indignity as in; "how dare they do this?", all too often from even the BEST vets.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:58 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
So if you just wanted a second opinion, what did the second vet have to say about the situation? You are not obligated to go to the second vet for service, either way you will be paying for a second surgery to remove the hidden testicle. Why did the second vet take it upon themselves to order copies of the records? If you feel comfortable with the first vet continuing to do the second surgery then use him/them. Maybe you can get a discount under the circumstances, as well as it being a second cat that you are having them "doctor".

Old 01-03-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
So if you just wanted a second opinion, what did the second vet have to say about the situation? You are not obligated to go to the second vet for service, either way you will be paying for a second surgery to remove the hidden testicle. Why did the second vet take it upon themselves to order copies of the records? If you feel comfortable with the first vet continuing to do the second surgery then use him/them. Maybe you can get a discount under the circumstances, as well as it being a second cat that you are having them "doctor".
TY & yes, will call our 1st vet Monday to discuss.

I was getting ideas from you all & this seems to be a consensus. I know I can refuse my old vet or take him back, since it'll cost the same either way, it may make sense to stay w/ our vet as she already knows the feral from the 1st trip.

I really made this, in my head, worse than it seems I bet. I always error on caution but too much caution & ya can't do ANYTHING< lol.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:56 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I had a second opinion recently and agree that you can use either afterwards. Just tell first vet you never heard of what happened with Blackie before - play dumb if you feel she'll be offended (and if it helps your OCD). Professionally, she has no right to be and you're very entitled to a second opinion. They probably get this request all the time.

Did you meet the second vet and have you formed any opinion of them? Do you think they'll be better for Blackie? If so, then just take him. Make a regular appointment at the old vet for Syl when the time comes and don't mention anything.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I had a second opinion recently and agree that you can use either afterwards. Just tell first vet you never heard of what happened with Blackie before - play dumb if you feel she'll be offended (and if it helps your OCD). Professionally, she has no right to be and you're very entitled to a second opinion. They probably get this request all the time.

Did you meet the second vet and have you formed any opinion of them? Do you think they'll be better for Blackie? If so, then just take him. Make a regular appointment at the old vet for Syl when the time comes and don't mention anything.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats