Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 02:01 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have issues with neighborhood cats making a nuisance of themselves at your house? I'm losing my patience. I had a thread not long ago about one coming into my garage and then into my house being chased and then attacked by my own cat that was protecting her home.
The same cat and others seem to come around now on a regular basis and look through my sliding back door into the house. This morning a large male cat sprayed that same glass door. There are several of them now hanging around outside. I see them off and on almost all day when I'm not at work. Of course I never had this problem when my dog was alive and he patrolled the back yard.
These are not feral cats. They are well fed pets but they don't belong to my next door neighbors and I don't know where their homes are. I could trap them and take them to the pound which around here means they will almost certainly be put down. I don't want to do that.
Any suggestions? I'm thinking about buying this but don't know if it will affect my cat who is always indoors. My patience is running low with these intruders that have no boundaries. BTW, Mrs. Robinson is spayed and hates these cats. When she sees them she gets very upset and wants to attack them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...QJWTBQMPHGK5H2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 06:04 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,176,605 times
My first thought was "Keep all doors closed!" That includes the garage door.

Second thought was "Get a dog."

You could get a chip scanner, under 20 bucks. If they're friendly enough to walk around, maybe you can get close enough to scan them. I'd ask my vet what to do at the point when I got a chip number, regarding pest cats.

OR...you could start feeding them! Ha, just kidding! We have a herd of seven now...

Old 11-21-2018, 06:09 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times
Get another cat so your current one has backup or get a dog.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:18 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Get another cat so your current one has backup or get a dog.
Getting a dog is not an option now. My cat is very afraid of dogs and views all dogs as a predator that wants to kill her. I will never own a dog and vanquish it to the backyard and not allow it to be a house dog. My previous dog had a doggy door and could go in and out as he pleased.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:14 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Every time one shows up, spray a hose on it?

I did that back in the spring to a stray cat in the neighborhood who had been occasionally intruding in my backyard (and pissing my own cat off), and I haven't seen him since.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:57 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
You could try motion-activated sprinklers.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:09 AM

579 posts, read 522,644 times
What she said.

Sprinklers

Old 11-26-2018, 08:34 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times
You can get a motion-activated canister of air that "sprays" some air to startle the cats away. Put a couple of those near the porch doors. You can get some one-way window film to put on the lower parts of the door, so the outdoor cats can't see in. They likely see your cat inside. If you don't want to buy window film, use newspaper or cardboard to block the view for now.

If these cats are spraying, they likely are not spayed/neutered. Do you have a local TNR program in your area? I'd look into getting them spayed so they are not spraying/looking for mates/fighting.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:11 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
You can get a motion-activated canister of air that "sprays" some air to startle the cats away. Put a couple of those near the porch doors. You can get some one-way window film to put on the lower parts of the door, so the outdoor cats can't see in. They likely see your cat inside. If you don't want to buy window film, use newspaper or cardboard to block the view for now.

If these cats are spraying, they likely are not spayed/neutered. Do you have a local TNR program in your area? I'd look into getting them spayed so they are not spraying/looking for mates/fighting.
Just FYI, I have a neutered cat that still sprays. I think the water sprinklers will be more efficient than a couple of air horns because they will cover a larger space.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:56 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,051,383 times
Just FYI, if anyone goes to the link for the repeller in the OP, take note that ALL of the positve reviews are almost certainly fake.

42 separate five-star reviews all posted on the same day (today)?? ROTFLOL!! You can't get a bigger red flag than that.

Sprinklers, yes. Ultrasonic repellers, don't waste your money.

SOME brands of ultrasonic repellers can be effective when used in a fully enclosed space like a basement, against mice and/or rats. And their performance diminishes over time even under optimal conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats