Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,430 times

Advertisements

I took my cat to the vet last week due to him scratching under his chin so much it was starting to bleed. The vet gave him a steriod shot and an antibiotic shot. A few days ago he started sneezing a lot. I don't see any discharge from his eyes or nose. Does it sound like he may have caught something from the vet office? How much longer should I let this run its course before I take him back to the vet? He wasn't doing any sneezing before he went in for the shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 12:32 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Have you called the vet and told them the cat has been sneezing since you got home and after the shots? Perhaps kitty has had a reaction to one of the medications or has allergies and the sneezing has just started because you had him outside around all the pollen floating around.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
It's very possible that the cat is sneezing because of the vaccines, here is some more info for you....look to number 4...you'll see that sneezing is quite common...hope this helps....The Vaccine Side Effects and Risks That Can Occur When Immunizing Dogs and Cats.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
The cat didn't get vaccine shots.

He could have picked something up from the office. Or he could be itching because of allergies, and now sneezing for the same reason.

Is he eating? Is he still itching? Have you seen anything that looks like coughing?

Old 05-19-2012, 05:33 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
What was your cat's diagnosis? Does he have feline acne? Food allergy? Do you use plastic dishes?

The sneezing could be coincidental or he could have picked up a virus at the vet, or maybe he's got a bit of dust in his nose. Since he's already on an antibiotic that will prevent bacterial infection, but won't touch viral.

L-lysine can help boost the immune system to fight viral URI in cats.

PS keeping his claws trimmed and clean will help his chin clear up, also eliminating plastic dishes and water bowls. If the chin problem continues after these changes you might want to consider a food allergy.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 AM

30 posts, read 67,051 times
Is he allergic to anything? Maybe you can find something related with the scene at home, and if it doesn't work, then go to the vet.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 AM

157 posts, read 587,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What was your cat's diagnosis? Does he have feline acne? Food allergy? Do you use plastic dishes?

The sneezing could be coincidental or he could have picked up a virus at the vet, or maybe he's got a bit of dust in his nose. Since he's already on an antibiotic that will prevent bacterial infection, but won't touch viral.

L-lysine can help boost the immune system to fight viral URI in cats.

PS keeping his claws trimmed and clean will help his chin clear up, also eliminating plastic dishes and water bowls. If the chin problem continues after these changes you might want to consider a food allergy.
the antibiotic 'shot' was likely convenia...this is a strong antib that stays in the system for weeks, I don't like it b/c if there is a reaction to it unlike in pill form it can't just be d/c its already in the system and kitty has to ride out the side effects....

Catsmom is right about giving L-lysine to boost the immune system. get this in the human forum, its much cheaper and purer as long as you get certain brands that contain no fillers or extra additives..such as sugar, starch, salt or preservatives..
open and add 500mg to their food, for a week than 1/2 tab (250mg) thereafter
-Jarrow 500mg capsules
-LEF capsules

or these in powder form.
-NOW FOODS brand powder
-Source Naturals powder
-Carlson Labs powder

heres a link to the Carlson Labs one at iherb, its the one I use.
Carlson Labs, L-Lysine, Amino Acid Powder, 100 g - iHerb.com

Old 06-07-2014, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 9,140 times
My 12 year old cat recently began sneezing with a nasty green nasal discharge and was having trouble breathing. After two vet visits and two rounds of antibiotics, I changed his litter from Swheat scoop to Blue walnut based litter which is almost dust free. The difference in the dust was remarkable and the cat, after 4 or 5 days, stopped sneezing. He has been virtually sneeze free for the last 4 months. We had used the Swheat scoop for years and it seems he just became sensitive to the dust. Not that this is the answer for every cat but I am grateful that it worked for mine!

Old 06-07-2014, 09:50 AM

484 posts, read 761,602 times
Anytime my cat needs a steroid shot, she immediately has a flare up of her FVR, which stays controlled by daily "cookies" of the enisyl-f lysine treats.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
The cat didn't get vaccine shots.

He could have picked something up from the office. Or he could be itching because of allergies, and now sneezing for the same reason.

Is he eating? Is he still itching? Have you seen anything that looks like coughing?
ITA with these questions. If he is coughing, wheezing, or vomiting, please call the vet because it could be asthma.

If it is only sneezing and it's not affecting appetite, it could be allergies. Our cat Benny sometimes will scratch the fur above his eye until it's raw. I've had him to the vet and ruled out other medical problems--so the vet told me to give him an OTC human allergy med (chlortrimeton). It works very well for him. However, please ask your vet about dosage and if it's ok before doing this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats