Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times

Advertisements

If you ever disappeared and never came home again (and someone else took care of your cats), do you think your cats would miss you? Would they remember you after a couple days?

I like to think that my 15 year old torby girl (tortoise-shell tabby) loves me so much (which she does) that she would die of sadness if I left one day and never returned home. She doesn't give my wife nearly the amount of attention and affection that she gives me. She's either laying her butt down on my keyboard or mouse, or napping on and furring up a second office chair (the Princess Pad) that I have next to the one I'm sitting in now. She even brings a toy mouse up to the desk and plops it in front of keyboard as an offering.

In answer to the posted question, our cats lived with my sister-in-law for several months and seemed to recognize my wife and I and weren't afraid of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
The longest I've been gone from the cats is nine days and they were mad. LOL

Our cats are pretty skittish, and tend to hide when strange people come over. It would probably take them a long time to warm up to a new owner. But I think they'd remember me; they remember my mom and sister, and they visit infrequently. Maybe it's our voices; we all sound pretty much alike.

Some of you know that my spouse passed away last October. He was home most of the day even before he got sick; he worked on a freelance basis and worked odd hours, and was home quite a bit while I was at work. So not only do they miss him -- and I think they still do, although they've stopped actively looking for him -- but they also miss having someone home during the day.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Couple years back, did a cross-country road trip that lasted weeks. When I came home, my Giz was an Attach-a-Cat for a month. He would follow me around the house squeaking his head off (he can't meow) and cuddling anytime I was stationary for more than two seconds.

If I were to never come back, he would be sorely heartbroken.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
YES.

I had to leave a place very quickly, and the flight was a simple bi-plane. I left my cat with the guy I had been living with. He called me about a week later she just walked around going from room to room howling.

I still don't forgive myself.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
My mother left her cat to come visit me for a week. She had a neighbor come in to feed her and clean her box. When Mother got home she found a litter covered turd on her pillow. Cat had pooped in her tray and then carried turd to place on the pillow. Mother never left her cat again. She got the message.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The longest I've been gone from the cats is nine days and they were mad. LOL
We call that "giving the cold tail (shoulder)".

Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Our Siamese, expressed extreme displeasure, by meowing continuously for hours when we came home from Mexico. He was annoyed that we left him, and made his opinion clear, in no uncertian terms.

When I adopted Jasper, he meowed for a few days, like he was lost. He really never warmed up to me, it took almost a year...now he is fine.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:52 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Snickers would be highly upset. He gets upset if when I go to work and leave him alone. I hear about it when I get home too. Whenever I sit on the couch to watch tv, he's glued to me, and if I don't go to bed by a certain time, I hear about it.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
i belive my cats would miss me but survive, they wouldnt be happy about the situation by any means, but they wouldnt be complelty heart broken assuming their caretakers were to withold the certain standards and rituals they demand attentding to on a daily basis...

the dogs would be a completly different matter though lol

Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,342 times
absolutely - many years and another cat ago i took a trip to california - i was gone a week and my cat was so miserable she wouldnt come here me for a couple of days -
since she was so unhappy i decided to take a lesson from it - now when i travel i travel by car and take my kitties with me - the funny thing i have 1 cat that is very timid but she just loves going into the new hotel rooms and looking around - the only part of the traveling she doesnt like is the cat carrier - my other cat could care less where we go or what we do as long as we are together -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats