Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

I waited a long time before getting another cat, I knew though, that I did not want a kitten, I wanted an older cat. I adopted Jasper, and it really has taken him a good year or so to finally "bond" with me.

So, give it time. New Ty will end up just as great as Tang. But with his own personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
GoGuy, I wondered about the possibility of pica! Love the name Pica-see!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Ty. Male. A year old. Came right up to us in the free roam cat room. Sat in our lap. Playful. Showed interest in us.
He would be my choice.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Not all cats are picky about what they eat. Most are If you happened upon the thread I posted about my kitten Makari - he eats anything! Luckily he has stopped (for the most part) eating inedible objects such as my blankets, q-tips, and toys!

I had a friend who had a siamese who at things that were usually considered inedible it's whole life! Her cat never passed up a chance to chew a whole into an unguarded pair of underware, mittens, winter hat. And they went through many pillow cases, couch throw pillows and blankets with holes. Like having a puppy.

All of mine are quite fond of shoe laces and anything that is leather - boots, tennis shoes, belts, coats and most favorite are my expensive purses!! They also still chew cords at 3 and 4 years old. It's not really "eating" but it's close enough after they are done I have two of the four that tear up toys and I too have to keep teaser toys put away and only bring out for play time or they are toast.

My cat that crossed over used to have an affinity for bread! That cat was a magnet to a loaf of bread LOL. Drove me NUTS! He would chew a hole in the plastic bag nearly every time and nibble - then the rest would go stale. Little quirks that make them who they are. One of my current crew - Simon - You better run if you have lunch meat, he'll take you down for a piece of turkey.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
And the winner is......Pixie! Scroll down on the link to see her:

Pets In Need of Homes - Adoptable pets not in shelters (http://www.petfinder.com/classifieds/searchclassified.cgi?state=GA&order=created%20DESC &type=P&keyword=&page=2 - broken link)

She is all of six pounds, although she is almost two years old! The eating thing isn't that bad----we will just have to not leave stuff on the countertop. She needs a home without any fur siblings or kids, with patient, loving adults and that's what we can offer her. She's declawed. She's alert and a little playful. At first she was a little shy, but then she warmed up and snuggled in our laps. She looked into her eyes with her big green eyes and that was it! She is somewhat of a special needs kitty in terms of her behavior, so it makes us feel good to adopt her and offer her the home she needs. We are sure she can become a great companion, with our willingness to treat her like the little princess she is! Since we have some plans for this week, will bring her home on Friday and spend the weekend with her. She will need some time to adjust.

Visited Ty and another black kitty who lives with him. Great, friendly cats, but we feel like Pixie really needs us and that she can be a true companion for us. We'd be rescuing Ty from a free roam cat room, but we are rescuing Pixie from being confined to one room of a house (she was a stray---she was brought into a couple's home with three cats and she doesn't like the other cats and they don't like her).

So I'm going from a cat who at one point was 24 pounds to one who is six pounds! May not even change her name because Pixie definitely fits her.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
I couldn't find her mug shot! They must have de-listed her. Post pictures when you get her home.

I think you are right, Pixie needs you. Ty will certainly find a home, as outgoing as he is.

One of the girls we lost this summer was very tiny too - almost 18 and just 5 pounds. Big purrsonalities come in small packages! Oh - get a smaller carrier, it will make your life so much easier.

Our two kittens came with names. I wanted to give them new names, but the names fit them too well.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
well, she sounds very sweet. Important thing is that you were able to rescue a kitty who needs a forever home, and you've all bonded. She'll likely turn out just fine. couldn't see her in the link, she wasn't listed on there. Post a pic when she comes home?

Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Hm, bad link or they've already taken her off there. I'm not sure what to look for to find, or if they've just removed already.

Anyway, congrats! This will put you at ease about the scratching and you will still be saving a kitty, and one who maybe others would be overlooking. Heck, I never left things on counters for years. Amber can no longer jump that high, but before that I always had to consider the cat and used to not store utensils or other items out on the counter, or leave food up there unattended. I had to put child latches on the UPPER cabinets in one place! She used to get up on the fridge from the counter. I remember one time very early on, I found her curled up in a plastic colander that I had left in the sink. Very cute, wish I had taken a picture but I don't think I did. So if she's going to be all over the counters and into everything that might take some adjustment. Ultimately, you may be able to discourage her somewhat, but probably not completely. She may well change your behavior more than you will hers. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I was pretty much the same way with Jasper, I did not pick him. He needed a home, a lady dropped him off, he was my new cat. I am not sure how old he is, or his background. He did take awhile to settle in, but now he is very friendly. He was so stand offish and skittish the first several months, I wondered if I should have gone with a kitten. But now, he is a total cuddle bug! It just took some time.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Congratulations to Pixie on getting her forever home, and to you on your new family member! May you have many happy years together!

I love small kitties too. I have a Bridge Angel who never grew over 6 pounds. I now I have a young cat who is fully grown at 7 pounds.

Can't wait to meet your Pixie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats