Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times

Advertisements

both my wife and I have had cats for many many years. We now have a beloved cat b(she's in one of my profile page albums; Dottie the Wonder Cat; a predominantly white tri-color female).

She's about 19 years old, but has been remarkably healthy for her entire llife. For the past year or so, when we pet or stroker her back, she then reflexively licks her chest. Sort of like when you pet your dog and he scratches himself; same sort of thing, but increasingly more ardent.

In the last few weeks, it's gotten quite pronounced with Dottie. As well, she's been flinching a lot lately, and when I mentioned this to the vet about 3 months ago he said her kidneys were likely failing because she's urinating a lot and thus flushing a lot of the potassium out of her system. So we give her a bit of No-Saltâ„¢, as per the vet, in her food (It's potassium chloride)., That slowed this all down for a while, but now, she shakes and flinches a lot, and as well now there's this compulsive licking thing.

Well, the other night she woke me up (she sleeps on our bed) with her scratching or liking, but this time it persisted for about 10 minutes. I got up and picked her up and cuddled her. I was going to let her outside to go pee, and I had her supported with my hand and arm under her tummy and chest and neck, and was cuddling her against my body. All quite gently.

I then stroked her back very gently, and her back flinched, and she yowled in apparent real pain (she never yowls!) and then bit me very hard and deeply into the back of my hand, and simultaneously scratched my arm quite badly with her hind legs. I put her down, and she walked away.

Then she went off and peed and came back about 5 minutes later and rubbed up against me, purring.

Any ideas? Neurological problems? Age? Chemical/hormonal imbalance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
rifleman: I wish I knew what to say. It sounds like she was in a lot of pain (duh). I had to have one of my cats euthanized in January (he was about 15) because of kidney failure, and he seemed perfectly healthy until about five days earlier. My vet told me that the kidneys are the weakest system in cats, and my experiences bear this out. If something else doesn't get them first, like feline leukemia, the kidneys are usually what does it. My late cat's near-twin brother is still with me. They spent their lives together, 14+ years of them with me.

Best of luck. I wish I could be more helpful. Cats are usually quite stoic and bear feeling unwell in silence, but they have their limits.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:00 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
Poor Dottie - but how blessed you and your wife have been to have had such a long-lived companion.

Her skin's become hypersensitive obviously. There can be many causes - an autoimmune response being one, and with her age, that's not beyond the bounds of possibility. "Skin fragility syndrome" is another, and in cats is primarily "blamed" on a whole bunch of things that wouldn't apply to Dottie, except - potentially - diabetes. (I'm assuming she's not as you haven't mentioned it, but has she been tested? Long term exposure to steroids/cortisone-based drugs can be another culprit.)

Call your vet for advice asap, but in the meantime try not to exert too much pressure on any one spot. You might also try wrapping her in something thick and soft (a good, thick towel for example) if you have to carry her to try to disperse some pressure. She may be happier just snuggling up to you rather than being petted if it sets her skin off. It's going to be hard for you to resist, and for her the association of petting = feels very good/is comforting is an association of long standing, so it's natural for her to want to be petted, but until you've got a clearer understanding of what sets it off, you may just opt for very close proximity instead.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
Probably neuropathy from chronic medical problems.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
both my wife and I have had cats for many many years. We now have a beloved cat b(she's in one of my profile page albums; Dottie the Wonder Cat; a predominantly white tri-color female).

She's about 19 years old, but has been remarkably healthy for her entire llife. For the past year or so, when we pet or stroker her back, she then reflexively licks her chest. Sort of like when you pet your dog and he scratches himself; same sort of thing, but increasingly more ardent.

In the last few weeks, it's gotten quite pronounced with Dottie. As well, she's been flinching a lot lately, and when I mentioned this to the vet about 3 months ago he said her kidneys were likely failing because she's urinating a lot and thus flushing a lot of the potassium out of her system. So we give her a bit of No-Salt™, as per the vet, in her food (It's potassium chloride)., That slowed this all down for a while, but now, she shakes and flinches a lot, and as well now there's this compulsive licking thing.

Well, the other night she woke me up (she sleeps on our bed) with her scratching or liking, but this time it persisted for about 10 minutes. I got up and picked her up and cuddled her. I was going to let her outside to go pee, and I had her supported with my hand and arm under her tummy and chest and neck, and was cuddling her against my body. All quite gently.

I then stroked her back very gently, and her back flinched, and she yowled in apparent real pain (she never yowls!) and then bit me very hard and deeply into the back of my hand, and simultaneously scratched my arm quite badly with her hind legs. I put her down, and she walked away.

Then she went off and peed and came back about 5 minutes later and rubbed up against me, purring.

Any ideas? Neurological problems? Age? Chemical/hormonal imbalance?
At her age it could be arthritis, which can cause the kind of reaction you got if some movement brought on a sudden stab of pain.

Sorry to say it sounds like your time with her is coming to an end. If she's in the kind of pain I think she's in you may need to consider putting her down. Please call you vet for some direction and guidance right away. I've been thru this twice in the last year (with 19 and 18 year old cats), so I do understand how hard it can be to know what to do. I'm so sorry

Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Default Thanks for the thoughts.

Actually, our vet gave me a scrip for Metacam when I took Dottie in a few months ago., It's apparently an analgesic generally used for dogs, but quite strong for cats. I may try it tomorrow; it's oral.

The vet did say that when their kidneys go, it can be quite quick, and also it can generate some significant discomfort. Dottie's condition isn't kidney related I don't think; it seems to be localized dermatological or neurological. She hasn't been on any meds except for the potassium supplement and that has seemed to help. So I dunno.

Now I know this will probably start some insults or enraged posts, but I have "put down" several of my own pets when necessary for years. One had serious cancer, the other was very badly mauled and perforated by a Great Horned Owl and literally was not going to make it through the night. She was crying intensely and looking up at me. Sob.

I have a good friend, a longtime vet, who says that it's so disturbing for most pet owners to have to take poor ailing and suffering Fido or Mimi down to the vet when they know why they are doing it. And the pet, who often doesn't like to go for a car ride anyhow, also senses, as only pets can, that "something's going really wrong here", and they get quite agitated as well.

Then, for the owner, when the vet administers the final paralytic drug, it's truly "heartbreak time", in a room with, essentially, a stranger or two, and the pet is also quite stressed out. My vet friend has had to counsel many heartbroken adult men who broke down sobbing, and certainly ditto for most women owners, and in many cases the dogs, in particular, begin crying out as well.

Nope. I take care of it when they are relaxed, perhaps on a necessary pain med, and in a favorite chair or place outside. It's very hard to do, but I'm also taking full and complete responsibility for my own pet, and ensuring he or she is in the most comfortable and relaxed setting possible.

Having said that, I'll be fighting this situation with Dot first; she means far too much to me. But of course, I also don't want her to suffer, and certainly won't let her.

I'll probably take her to the vet tomorrow and get his opinion. I'll let you guys know.

I'm off to bed now; she's curled up there, snoring lightly! Sleep well, Dotted Cat.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:20 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I'm sorry your beloved cat is ill. You know what needs to be done when the time comes. Godspeed.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Metacam for a cat with suspected kidney problems? Metacam is known to cause acute kidney failure in cats.

Dottie is not necessarily at the end of the road here. Why hasn't your vet done blood work to positively diagnose her problems? Just guessing "her kidneys are likely failing". What the heck?

What you need is a new vet.

I have cared for many senior cats. They can live long comfortable lives with the proper care and treatment. Please find a vet who will run blood work including thyroid, take a urine sample, and get to the bottom of her issues and then you can start treating her.

There are plenty of things that can be done for a cat with kidney disease, and arthritis, and almost any other problem she may have. For instance cosequin or dasequin for cats is a safe supplement with no side affects than can help greatly with arthritis pain. Sub q (subcutaneous) fluids on a regular basis (done at home) can help a kitty with CRF live many more years. Her dental health should be considered too. Periodontal disease also can cause kidney failure and heart problems.

Don't let Dottie dwindle away just because your vet likes to play guessing games. Find a vet who will take her health seriously.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:13 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Just in general it's important to pay attention to behavior and body language as best you can. The cat will go to great lengths to not show visible and especially audible signs of pain; it's just an instinctive behavior. Small changes that you may be able to notice can be signs of significant illness that can be addressed early and prolong the cat's comfortable life.

I'm trying to do this myself with a hyperthyroid cat. And I've been dragging my feet on having her back to the vet; he said to come back and recheck things in 6 months and it's been 7 or 8. It's such a traumatic experience, taking her there in the car, in the carrier, she knows what's up of course.

Indeed I'm getting slightly concerned about kidney failure, which apparently can often follow medication for hyperthyroid. One of the things I've noticed more recently is hunching over the water bowl, which is sometimes considered a symptom of a kidney issue. It might actually be nothing (there hasn't been change in her urination), but I'll bring it up to the vet when I go. I suspect we'll be doing bloodwork anyway to check the thyroid level.

Last edited by greg42; 07-27-2010 at 08:24 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 08:48 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
I am going to throw my 2 cents worth in here.. I have a CH kitty That while she loved attention, she would growl and run off when we tried to pet her (she is about 8 years old now but had done that all of her adult life) If anyone walked towards her, she would scamper off away from them, not wanting to be touched..

I contacted a pet psychic and had her read because I suspected something more than her CH was going on with her (Amy was about 5 years at that time). The lady doing the reading thought Amy was about 17 years old, saying her arthritis was awful and she didn't like anyone touching her because touching HURT. The only thing that didn't hurt to be touched was her head and chest but everything else hurt..... Anyway, as a result of that reading and what the lady told me and suggested, I went the next day and talked to Amy's vet and we put her on Cosequin and Amy has been on it every since. It made a WORLD of difference in Amy, she got that spark back in her eyes, she loves being petted, loves being brushed and massaged.. (LOL! and she does lick and clean the whole time I am brushing or massaging her, I always took that as her helping me to groom her) Try your baby on some Cosequin!

What prompted me to even respond is the licking thing. I had a good friend that had a dog start licking her leg, even chewing on it until it was raw. She took her to the vet was X-rayed and was told the dog had arthritis in that leg and was given medication for arthritis (Probably Cosequin for dogs). It did not help so she took the dog to a different vet. Vet # 2 X-rayed the dogs whole leg and found it had cancer in that leg so the second vet found what the first one didn't. I am NOT saying you baby has cancer... What I am saying is the licking and perhaps chewing it caused from PAIN.

Your baby is old enough to have arthritis and it is a very good possibility that is what is going on. Cosequin costs me about $40 for a 90 day supply and I thought the cost verses if it worked was worth taking a shot at trying and it paid off for me. I also put my Senior kitty on it and it has made a big difference in her life too. If it is arthritis, I have 2 that Cosequin has changed their lives and I swear by it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats