Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 10:56 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,112,857 times

Advertisements

Our family is considering a vacation in Alberta around the end of June and beginning of July and will travel by car.

We're concentrating on Calgary to check out the annual Stampede and Edmonton to check out the amusement park inside of the West Edmonton Mall.

We have never been to western Canada before and we are open to suggestions of places to go, things to do, and stuff to watch out for (high crime areas, tourist traps, etc.).

Please feel free to share your experiences and suggestions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 01:17 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,342,462 times
The Stampede is a great start. I would also suggest that a trip to Banff shouldn't be missed Banff.com - Banff's Premier Online Guide to the Canadian Rockies and Banff National Park. and it isn't that far away from Calgary. If your budget allows for it, stay at the Banff Springs Hotel Banff Springs Hotels: Luxury at The Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel and Resort, a grand former CPR hotel built in the style of a Scottish castle.

And take a trip to Drumheller, and the Dinosaur Provincial Park Dinosaur Provincial Park - Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is also within easy driving of Calgary.

We also have enjoyed driving to the Columbia Icefields :: Icefields Parkway :: and Jasper Jasper Alberta: Guide to Jasper National Park in the Canadian Rockies

Can't tell you what areas to avoid but perhaps another poster can add that information.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 PM

16 posts, read 73,383 times
Well.. while in Calgary, you'll find the city is divided into 4 quadrants - NW, SW, NE, SE, - Stampede Park is in the South East but other than that and downtown and the zoo (if you go), try to stick to the Southwest and North West. Northwest crime is practically nil and your best bet for lodging.. Someone gave you the URL's to get you started outside of the city.. Within the city of Calgary, some things to do are the Calgary Zoo, Stephen Avenue Outdoor Mall, and if you like walking/hiking adventures there're many conservation parks for doing that and enjoying nature within the city: Edworthy Park, Bowmont Natural Park, Fish Creek Park (though this one is more out of the way.. way south).. and Nose Hill Park... And if you have fairly young children, they would love Heritage Park, which is good for an entire day at the end of which you'll be completely worn out and ready to drop. It's fun though....Bowness Park is another one to try..... To be honest, I can't think of any actual tourist traps but you do have to be prepared and know that Calgary is an expensive city in general. Just do advance searches on names of the places of activitities to familiarize yourself, choose and have fun! And then, anything else you need to find out, let us know.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,859,082 times
I'd definitely check out Banff and the glaciers/Jasper. That's an experience to remember.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:03 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,112,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanasonlight View Post
Well.. while in Calgary, you'll find the city is divided into 4 quadrants - NW, SW, NE, SE, - Stampede Park is in the South East but other than that and downtown and the zoo (if you go), try to stick to the Southwest and North West. Northwest crime is practically nil and your best bet for lodging.. Someone gave you the URL's to get you started outside of the city.. Within the city of Calgary, some things to do are the Calgary Zoo, Stephen Avenue Outdoor Mall, and if you like walking/hiking adventures there're many conservation parks for doing that and enjoying nature within the city: Edworthy Park, Bowmont Natural Park, Fish Creek Park (though this one is more out of the way.. way south).. and Nose Hill Park... And if you have fairly young children, they would love Heritage Park, which is good for an entire day at the end of which you'll be completely worn out and ready to drop. It's fun though....Bowness Park is another one to try..... To be honest, I can't think of any actual tourist traps but you do have to be prepared and know that Calgary is an expensive city in general. Just do advance searches on names of the places of activitities to familiarize yourself, choose and have fun! And then, anything else you need to find out, let us know.

Thanks for providing a quick layout of the city and especially, the heads-up regarding lodging in the NW. If we have any more questions, we will let you know.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,606 times
In addition to the sites already mentioned in Calgary, Edmonton, Banff, Jasper and Drumheller, you may want to head south of Calgary to Waterton Lakes National Park... very beautiful scenery and sometimes overlooked as a vacation spot.

Last edited by Brathwaite; 04-12-2010 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: URL not displaying properly

Old 04-14-2010, 09:37 PM

156 posts, read 391,438 times
If you're in Edmonton steer clear of 118th Ave, mostly east of Rexall Place. The whole north east actually. For lodging the hotels close to West Ed, in the SW and south central of Edmonton would suit, nightlife is on Jasper Ave and Whyte Ave. TBH you wont find much crime anywhere in Alberta unless you're looking for it.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Drumheller if you are into dinosaurs
drumheller alberta - Google Search

Old 04-18-2010, 11:53 PM

134 posts, read 348,416 times
Edmonton is known as "Festival City" for a good reason. Check out the many Festivals held there during June, July, and August:

Edmonton Events and Festivals in June - Edmonton, Alberta (AB), Canada
  • Annual Dreamspeakers International Film Festival - early June, a four-day film festival
  • Kurimoto Japanese Garden Spring Festival - early June, celebrating Japanese culture with numerous demonstrations and activities
  • Syncrude Next Generation Arts Festival (Nextfest) - early June, a ten-day arts festival featuring young musicians
  • Giovanni Caboto Day Festival - June, with fine musical performances, arts and crafts displays and mouth-watering Italian food
  • Improvaganza - mid June, an exciting four-day extravaganza, celebrating improvised comedy
  • The Works Visual Arts Festival - mid to late June, with numerous Canadian and international displays, and exhibits in various downtown locations
  • Edmonton Chante - late June, a three-day French song festival, with a variety of entertainment and activities
  • River City Shakespeare Festival - late June to early July, impressive festival staging two productions of plays by William Shakespeare, together with Camp Shakespeare, a youth drama camp, held in William Hawrelak Park, Edmonton
  • International Jazz City Festival - late June to early July, notable festival with numerous events for the whole family, featuring top jazz musicians
  • The Works Art and Design Festival - late June to early July, a 13-day art event with fun for the whole family, featuring a range of events
Edmonton Events and Festivals in July - Edmonton, Alberta (AB), Canada
  • Canada Day - July 1st celebration, with fun for the whole family, including numerous activities and entertainment, culminating with the spectacular evening fireworks display
  • Old Strathcona Silly Summer Parade - early July, crazy summer parade, suitable for all ages
  • Edmonton International Street Performers Festival - mid-July, ten-day event featuring the best street performances
  • Taste of Edmonton - late July, very popular 10 day event downtown where you can sample foods from popular restaurants and listen to live music. Plus beer garden.
  • Capital Ex (formerly Klondike Days) - late July, a popular ten-day goldrush celebration, with lots of free entertainment, including parades, races and concerts
  • Blueberry Bluegrass and Country Music Festival - late July, a fun weekend for the whole family, with a host of activities including workshops and top musicians
  • Historic Edmonton Week Festival - late July, a ten-day historic event featuring a wealth of entertainment, including exhibits, fair, tours, activities and lectures
Edmonton Events and Festivals in August - Edmonton, Alberta (AB), Canada
  • Edmonton Heritage Festival - early August, a three-day event celebrating Canada's vibrant history, featuring a variety of entertainment and activities
  • Edmonton Folk Music Festival - mid-August, four-day folk music event dedicated to bluegrass, jazz and blues, together with numerous family activities
  • Cariwest Festival - August, a three-day Caribbean festival, with a variety of lively musical performances and parades
  • Fringe Theater Event - mid-August, a popular ten-day festival, with a wide range of entertainment including dance, music, theater and street performers
  • Edmonton Dragon Boat Festival - mid-August, an exciting two-day event featuring dragon boat racing

Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 7,408 times
Default Canada

Hello I am currently live in North Carolina USA, my family originally from Honduras, is kind hard for them to get their immigration status here,I am talking about sisters with their kids, can somebody from Alberta Canada please tell me what can I do for me to relocate my self along with my family to Canada? I heard a lot good things about Alberta, Calgary, plus that I have some family living there for so long, we ( my husband and I) are planning to establish a business over there, but still we still thinking on my family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada