Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM

12 posts, read 26,070 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on moving to alberta in the near future but I'm wondering where to settle down.
I've read a lot of the typical Edmonton vs Calgary Threads but I'm more interested in the rural areas and small towns.
So now my question is: what is the nicest area to live, the Edmonton area(Central Alberta) or the Calgary area(South Alberta)? Which area has the nicest weather, landscape/scenery, people etc.
I'm not talking about specific towns but the general area which could be 2/3hours from Calgary/Edmonton city. I'm looking for a country living.

All answers appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,810 times
Rural Southern Alberta is much more socially conservative/church going/etc. and based on cattle farming. Rural Northern Alberta is more moderate socially and focused on oil, etc.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,758 times
You'll need to qualify what you want, exactly, before I can tell you where's nicest.

Generally, the weather's more stable further north. The south, while it doesn't get the long cold snaps that the north does, does get Chinooks, which bother some people. South of Calgary can be +20 in January, and -20 the day after (and the wind will blow at 90 km/hr, regardless).

There's great scenery all over the province, and it depends on what you like, really. There's the mountains, of course, though you'd be hard pressed to reach them within 3 hours of Edmonton (though you'll get close). On the other hand, you can get to the boreal forest within range of Edmonton.

Generally,
south west is dry and foothills/mountains
south east is very dry and flatter, with some badlands mixed in

As you move north, climate gets wetter and you move out of arid prairie and into parkland in the east and out of montane grassland and into alpine foothills in the west.

Social conservatism is a little more entrenched in the south than the north, though there are lots of exceptions to that rule. I've found the Crowsnest Pass to be pretty moderate and I've never found anywhere where it was extremely oppressive. There's usually lots of dissenting opinions around, wherever you go.

Oil and Gas is huge throughout the province, and there's not really anywhere that it's not noticeable, unless you get right into the mountains.

I'm partial to the south east part of the province, but I may have a minority opinion, in that regard.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
I like the area between Red Deer and Calgary personally....not quite as arid nor windy as areas south of Calgary toward Lethbridge. Farther north I also like the Peace River district around Grand Prairie.

Medicine Hat in the southeast is a nice city I have read, and it is warmer and is one of the sunniest spots in Canada (on average). It is quite mild as well (next to Lethbridge) when comparing cities in the province.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 9,085 times
Default Calgary Rural

I am so glad that someone created this thread, because I am interested in living on the outskirts of Calgary, I don't want the city life but I also don't want it to be too rural. Are there any quiet some what rural areas about 20-30 minutes outside of Calgary that have decently priced homes? I would prefer to have about 3-5 acres. All info would be helpful...

Old 04-27-2013, 07:21 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Travel View Post
I am so glad that someone created this thread, because I am interested in living on the outskirts of Calgary, I don't want the city life but I also don't want it to be too rural. Are there any quiet some what rural areas about 20-30 minutes outside of Calgary that have decently priced homes? I would prefer to have about 3-5 acres. All info would be helpful...
I suppose it depends what you consider to be decently priced. Last I saw, parcels of land in the size you're looking for (no house, utilities at road) are going for 3-400,000 that close to the city. I'd guess you'd be looking at a minimum of $500,000 for a lot with a house.

It might be worth looking at some of the surrounding towns, as well, if you're okay with a smaller piece of land. Bragg Creek and Black Diamond are both really nice and never really struck me as feeling like bedroom communities the way Airdrie or Cochrane, for example, do.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Rural Southern Alberta is much more socially conservative/church going/etc. and based on cattle farming. Rural Northern Alberta is more moderate socially and focused on oil, etc.

Really, Based on the opinion from some guy living in Albany NY...lol

Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Travel View Post
Providing you're defining hitting the city limits in 20-30 minutes, not being downtown, anything that is subdivided into parcels that small will be $500K and up...way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada