Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:44 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Have you heard of Dorris? Can't get much farther North, the population is low, get off Hwy 97 and the traffic is almost zero. You could be as secluded as you want to be. But it is still in California, so you still have sales tax, there has got to be a down side to it somewhere...
Never heard of this place. Which county is it and what are the price ranges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Firebaugh, CA

Again which county is this located at?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Hey, now you're throwin fishin' into the 'needs list'. No, I agree, you sure don't want to move to Oregon. Oregon has no sales tax but a very high State tax. Where I live in Oregon it is cool, but way more sunshine than what you want. Also, there are so many places to fish in this general area that you get a headache just trying to decide where you want to go. There are many fishin' holes, lakes, etc. in Northern California, and around Dorris too. I don't know what the population in Dorris is today, but in 2000 there were less than 900 people living there. The thing I like about Dorris, there are several larger towns close by that have sales tax free shopping.
I really like Washington which is above the state of Oregon. Especially close to the Canadian Border where I remember there are lots of trees and rural areas.
But the big downside I hear is the property tax can go up no cap rate like here in CA.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:34 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
Again which county is this located at?

It's a small sleepy town not far from Fresno & Los Banos. It's where the Delta/Mendota canal ends, which merges with the San Joaquin River, i think it was .

Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,163,263 times
Alviso, CA is a tiny waterfront community in Santa Clara County.. even though it's a 5 minute drive to San Jose's famed high-tech quarter, it feels like a forgotten backwater or even a ghost town. There isn't even any mail delivery service. Prices are about in line with the more undesirable parts of San Jose.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Alviso, CA is a tiny waterfront community in Santa Clara County.. even though it's a 5 minute drive to San Jose's famed high-tech quarter, it feels like a forgotten backwater or even a ghost town. There isn't even any mail delivery service. Prices are about in line with the more undesirable parts of San Jose.
Is that where the salt mines used to be?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
It's a small sleepy town not far from Fresno & Los Banos. It's where the Delta/Mendota canal ends, which merges with the San Joaquin River, i think it was .

Fresno? Isn't that a farm town? A dust bowel

Old 04-25-2010, 01:36 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
Fresno? Isn't that a farm town? A dust bowel

Fresno is a dust bowl. Firebaugh has some water, therefore they have some trees around...

Old 04-25-2010, 03:06 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,075,690 times
LOL Fresno has water. If it didn't we wouldn't need the Fresno Metropolitan Flood Control District.

And if LA and SF ever quit taking Sierra snowmelt we would have even more water.

The San Joaquin River usually has water along the northern city boundary (the areas that dry up are far west of the city). Much of the river is being preserved as a recreational parkway for fishing, canoeing/kayaking, etc.
http://www.riverparkway.org/eduRecFishing.asp (broken link)
http://www.riverparkway.org/eduRecCanoeAdv.asp (broken link)

FYI, it looks like they just did another trout plant in the Fresno area in the San Joaquin River, the Kings River southeast of Fresno, and the foothill and Sierra lakes. Locals have been mainly catching trout and bass lately close to home.
http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/04/21/1904988_p3/fishing-report-week-of-april-21.html (broken link)
http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/04/21/1904988_p4/fishing-report-week-of-april-21.html (broken link)

Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Fresno is a dust bowl. Firebaugh has some water, therefore they have some trees around...

That is a plus right there. I was out in Manteca and the homes there are 100 someting thousand brand new. But it smells bad out there like manure and chemicals from the agriculture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California