Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
Amen to that -- I really got tired of there being no nature beyond the borders of the state of California. No hills, no grass, no swamps, no forests, no mountains, no lakes, no rivers, no beaches, nothin'!

I mean, seriously, it's horrific! The entire rest of the United States is just one big vast expanse of solid concrete from the Rockies all the way to the Atlantic! There isn't anything out there! I got so depressed living in Not-California that at one point I wanted to hang myself, except that there aren't any trees! Thank goodness I live here now!
What most boosters are actually doing is making a value judgment that a place that has some Mediterranean climate zones near the coast is the only place worthwhile, and all other places are inferior. I'll admit Mediterranean climate zones are nice, but they are neither the deal maker nor the deal breaker for me now that I have lived in a number of places around the world and visited many more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
One without all the illegal immigrants that are crippling this state.

Tim C.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 PM

16 posts, read 21,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoliafoya View Post
Everybody bandies about the "California Dream" --

It's gone... We found it!... We lost it... Eureka!... You gotta go to this part of the state to find it... You can't find it in that part... It'll always be here -- it's California, by God: the beauty, the weather, the diversity... It's no longer possible here; you have to go to X state to find it now. ...

What exactly IS the "California Dream"?

I realize that times change, and thus terms change. So, if you are an old-timer give your take on the "California Dream" that once was in days gone by vis-a-vis the dream (or lack thereof) that currently is, moving forward. If you are a relative newbie or a California Dreamer, give your take on the dream that you currently harbor regarding living there.
The places .. The weather at the ocean in the LA area ...

That is a part of my dreams about California ... But I'm far from there ...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:06 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Can't someone still have that old "california dream" in mind and make it happen in california?

I'm a 27 y/o white male from the east coast and want nothing more than to move to southern california, get a decent job for decent pay, have my own little space and live, in harmony with everyone else.... all while being considerate, involved, yet unintrusive in the community. While enjoying everything nature has to offer in so cal. A "live and let live" mentality. The pursuit of happiness, so to speak, as long as its not hurting anyone else.

Is that not still possible? I dont want a plastic life, or a life in TV/film, or "get rich quick" or any of that. I want simplicity and year round nice weather to enjoy beautiful nature and be a productive, cooperative member of society, all while being surrounded by good friends.

It sounds like the 1950s and 1960s had that and its no longer there in california? or is it?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Can't someone still have that old "california dream" in mind and make it happen in california?

I'm a 27 y/o white male from the east coast and want nothing more than to move to southern california, get a decent job for decent pay, have my own little space and live, in harmony with everyone else.... all while being considerate, involved, yet unintrusive in the community. While enjoying everything nature has to offer in so cal. A "live and let live" mentality. The pursuit of happiness, so to speak, as long as its not hurting anyone else.

Is that not still possible? I dont want a plastic life, or a life in TV/film, or "get rich quick" or any of that. I want simplicity and year round nice weather to enjoy beautiful nature and be a productive, cooperative member of society, all while being surrounded by good friends.

It sounds like the 1950s and 1960s had that and its no longer there in california? or is it?
I know a guy who lives kinda like that ... sometimes in a van ... sometimes on a little boat ... he says it's mostly between the ears and in the heart

In fact, I know several people like that ... really

Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:

Yeah, I grew up there and still have many friends living in SoCal. It really boils down to perspective and expectations. For many 'old' locals it will never be what it once was. So they are pissed and shouting from the roof tops. However for new blood or ppl who have accepted change for better or worse it can still be a very enjoyable place. In other words not wrapped around the axle regarding politics, etc... We have relatives in San Diego who still love living there and they are not wealthy by any means.

You will hear many complaints on this forum, some of which are legitimate. But keeping in mind no place is perfect, many Californians are still enjoying the things you mention. I now enjoy a quieter part of the state with my family in Central CA with more wide open space. Yet we still visit friends and family in SoCal and have a good time while down there.

Just go in with eye's wide open as best as possible to set right expectations. The biggest complaint you'll hear is its hard to find work right now (along with political rants). This depends greatly on your skills and timing or both. I know our company is going through a hiring spree right now in Central Cal and having a hard time finding enough qualified ppl. In demand skills are important in this job market. If you can find a job I think you will find many of things are asking about. Of course others will say its impossible. Just be careful before letting someone else tell you what you can and cannot do, well meaning or not. We have more whinners on this forum overall than those enjoying their lives in CA. In that regard its an imbalanced view of the state. The majority of people I know and work with truly enjoy living here, challenges and all.

Derek

Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
... It really boils down to perspective and expectations.
... We have more whiners on the forum overall than those enjoying their lives here.

Derek
Ya think, Derek? Really?
()

Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ya think, Derek? Really?
()
Hahaa, yeah, maybe understatement of the year!

Except I see you changed my incorrect spelling of whinners to whiners which maybe would have been better changed to weiners. But that's ok too, it takes every kinda people...

Derek

Old 10-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hahaa, yeah, maybe understatement of the year!

Except I see you changed my incorrect spelling of whinners to whiners which maybe would have been better changed to wieners. But that's ok too, it takes every kinda people...

Derek
Look pal, if you want spelling and grammar corrections, you've come to the right place ... Had to re-name my English teacher mother: GrammarMom after I had kids of my own ... she corrected my letters from Vietnam -- and returned them marked in red ink along with her news from home (true story). Hint: anyone of those who dislike me on this forum (you many know who you are), if you want to get me twisted, keep on misusing apostrophes ... your for you're, their for they're ... and the like ... same as scratching fingernails on a blackboard here. On the other hand, when you do use those weapons, you make yourselves look like fools ... so ....

Meanwhile, back at the Grammar Ranch:
you want to talk wieners and spelling both? Fine. Here's a Weiner in trouble:

and here are wieners in trouble

and here is a wiener dog about to be in trouble if the Humane Society doesn't show up quick

Old 10-25-2011, 12:43 PM

16 posts, read 21,225 times
Quote:

I really LOVED this message ... It is something extraordinary !!...
(Even I'm much farther than "east coast" ... but there was a dream about California for us two, here in my "region" ...)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California