Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 10:40 AM

50,553 posts, read 47,382,764 times

Advertisements

Ok, I can see certain businesses or public agencies like a prison having a lot of food waste but homes? How does this affect those that live in apartments.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ing-program-us

I don't know about you but I'm not in the habit of wasting food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 11:04 AM

131,251 posts, read 12,286,385 times
My concern is wildlife, the racoons will love to get their paws into wasted food or food scraps, we don't waste food, we eat what we buy, but of course there will be peelings, we eat a lot of fresh veg, & meat bones etc. I believe our county is not yet implementing the law, as we are waiting for a biomass facility to be built.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,822 posts, read 81,789,377 times
This has been a law in Seattle for several years, and in fact, residents can be fined if there are food scraps found in their regular garbage. Here in our city east of Seattle we are able to put food scraps in the yard waste bin, but we don't. It's nasty when the food scraps rot and get moldy in the bin since they only pick up once a week. In addition, we have a lot of wildlife including raccoons and bears that would love to open the bin and dig in. Fortunately it's not enforced here, we use the garbage disposal in the sink mostly, except for hard items like bones, and clogging items such as potato peels.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This has been a law in Seattle for several years, and in fact, residents can be fined if there are food scraps found in their regular garbage. Here in our city east of Seattle we are able to put food scraps in the yard waste bin, but we don't. It's nasty when the food scraps rot and get moldy in the bin since they only pick up once a week. In addition, we have a lot of wildlife including raccoons and bears that would love to open the bin and dig in. Fortunately it's not enforced here, we use the garbage disposal in the sink mostly, except for hard items like bones, and clogging items such as potato peels.
Do they have a "Garbage Police"? I just can't see how they can enforce it anywhere. We have chickens so any scraps go straight into the run. Most older houses with a garbage disposal are just begging for routine roto rooters coming out to clear the drain.

If we are forced to get a bin it will just take up space on the side of the house. It will look brand new in a year. I'll be using it as a rain barrel.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 12-28-2021 at 01:25 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 01:04 PM

45,588 posts, read 61,004,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do they have a "Garbage Police"? I just can't see how they can enforce it anywhere. We have chickens so any scraps go straight into the run. Most older houses with a garbage disposal are just begging for routine roto routers coming out to clear the drain.

If you are forced to get a bin it will just take up space on the side of the house. It will look brand new in a year.
Believe it or not, some municipalities do have garbage police. Takoma Park, MD was once such. Inspectors would go around on garbage day and red tag any bags that had recyclables in them. Just one cat food can would disqualify the entire bag.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:07 PM

131,251 posts, read 12,286,385 times
Another thing I am not happy about, is the stink it will bring. Our summer is hot, often triple digit. Chicken bones & potato peels do not age well in that heat.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,822 posts, read 81,789,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Believe it or not, some municipalities do have garbage police. Takoma Park, MD was once such. Inspectors would go around on garbage day and red tag any bags that had recyclables in them. Just one cat food can would disqualify the entire bag.
Yes, in Seattle the collectors are the "police". If they seen anything like coffee grounds, orange peels or bones in the trash when they pick it up, a bright red tag is posted on the garbage bin, telling everyone who sees it that you've violated the city law making it illegal to put food into trash cans. Then they note it and report back to the office, for the fines to be added to the next bill. Households only pay $1 per violation, but apartments, condos and commercial buildings could be fined $50. If I lived there, I would just pay the fine every week, it's well worth $4 a month to just leave it in the trash.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, in Seattle the collectors are the "police". If they seen anything like coffee grounds, orange peels or bones in the trash when they pick it up, a bright red tag is posted on the garbage bin, telling everyone who sees it that you've violated the city law making it illegal to put food into trash cans. Then they note it and report back to the office, for the fines to be added to the next bill. Households only pay $1 per violation, but apartments, condos and commercial buildings could be fined $50. If I lived there, I would just pay the fine every week, it's well worth $4 a month to just leave it in the trash.
Especially an apartment complex where anything in it would be untraceable to who did the "crime".

Old 12-28-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Another thing I am not happy about, is the stink it will bring. Our summer is hot, often triple digit. Chicken bones & potato peels do not age well in that heat.
Now that they made it illegal to fillet fish before you get home there is going to be some really unhappy neighbors around here. Dead tuna carcasses are horrid.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:33 PM

6,456 posts, read 2,777,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, I can see certain businesses or public agencies like a prison having a lot of food waste but homes? How does this affect those that live in apartments.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ing-program-us

I don't know about you but I'm not in the habit of wasting food.
Our trash service distributed "Green Waste" containers back in August. Right now it is just one more thing I have to store. They are used sporadically in our neighborhood, on any given trash pick-up day I perhaps see 10% of the houses using them. I've used it a couple of times when I have had big "green" waste to get rid of. I don't make it a habit of wasting food, and overall not going to stress over forgetting to put an occasional piece of bread or fruit that went bad in the wrong container.

As far as I can tell the "law" doesn't apply to residents directly, but puts the effort on the cities and municipalities that provide trash service. That is they aren't going to come around and search through my trash. It also seems to require stores to donate food that isn't saleable to food banks which seems like a decent idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California