Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2022, 09:48 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Probably can’t get any worse and more corrupt than it is now. Polls showing majority think the state is heading in the wrong direction, showing how many have thought about/want to leave the state, and how many have left the state. Did you think your little social bubble was representative of the entire state or something?
Polls show Americans overall think the whole nation is “headed in the wrong direction” … and that people in a LOT of America are thinking of moving (some states with higher move rates than CA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
. Ok and? I know what I said and it isn’t what you were suggesting. Perhaps you’re reading too much into my statements in order to form some counter argument.

There’s a lot of things they can different but I’m not going to get into the details of policy because it’s largely besides the point, the point that keeps going over your head. I can pretty much assure electing the same democrats won’t change anything because it hasn’t and only have gotten worse. Do you think the QOL is getting better? If not do you think some day these same politicians will finally start improving things or something? Maybe they haven’t found the magic wand yet but you’re crossing your fingers they do? What’s your reason you keep voting the same way?
QOL, if you ask anybody from any point on the political spectrum, isn’t getting better. Those on the right think the left is polluting life. Those on the left think those on the right are creating disaster.

Thus: no politicians, right or left, “will finally start improving things.”

And the “reason[s] for voting” any way are tied and limited to the choices available. The right don’t like the left choices and the left don’t like the rights’ choices … and never the twain shall meet in America in modern times apparently. In each mind it all comes down to either fervored ‘True Believing’ … or simply ‘lesser of evils’ decisions.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Nice typical cop-out. Guess the questions hit a nerve
Didn’t seem like a “cop-out” … seemed like you’ve been running in circles.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:03 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Yes and the point being that they have that and can manage to fund it but we can’t? Again the “5th largest economy in the world” can’t provide enough shelter beds but the “10th largest economy in the world” can?

Well when you continually ignore and refuse to answer the same simple questions I bet it does get boring! Again with the cop-out
sure thing

Old 09-04-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
What do you think he should have done? Raise everyone’s taxes/fees like Gray Davis?

Have you ever wondered how a state that spends so much on homelessness doesn’t have enough shelter beds but states like NY can do a much better job? Don’t forget we’re the “5th largest economy in the world” lol

Obviously, I wasn’t asking you to explain nor do I really care. I was simply curious why after all these decades of absolute control you still continue to have so much faith in them? I know debating policy and why you’re a democrat is pointless which is why I avoided it earlier despite you pressing me to do so; you know asking me to explain what I would do differently to address CA’s problems. Maybe follow your own advice sometime…..
Ah! Homelessness!
NY does do a better job of housing its homeless than CA does. And yet, NY has more homeless.
Pretty sure you wouldn’t be a bit happier in NY anyway, for any reason … so your analogy (or was it a ‘whataboutism’? ) is poor.

And, by the way, as in all states struggling with homelessness, the lack of solution lies with the cultural and economic system and values we share in modern capitalist / technocracy times. Boatloads of money are spent serving (and being pilfered in) the crisis … much going to actual assistance … but can’t keep up with the rate of replacement of people newly arriving on the streets even as near 75% of homeless are annually back in housing. Singling out California ignores the foundational realities of the ways in which homelessness is a collateral function of successful capitalism on steroids. Primitive cultures and economies don’t struggle with homelessness.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:08 AM

Well, all caught up. Fun thread resurrection. Thanks to all players.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:40 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
This response makes no sense to the post of yours I quoted. If you’d care to explain further, I’m listening …
You asked where are people happy politically, when I stated "people in this state are unhappy and largely dissatisfied" I wasn't referring to politics. What exactly isn't clear there for you?

Old 09-04-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
No it’s not “just a deflection and excuse” at all.

“Whataboutism” is a justification … analogies are instructive. The comments and comparisons you are referring to as “whatabouts” were not in the slightest made as justifications, and were in fact specifically cited as not being ok behaviors.

The comments were used as instructive examples of how the ‘system’ works (unfortunately) in many places across the nation to which California belongs.
You mean like "yeah well they did it too!". That's a deflection, one made to excuse the behavior of their preferred politician. There is no point in bringing up other people that do it too because it was never implied it was unique to them.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Polls show Americans overall think the whole nation is “headed in the wrong direction” … and that people in a LOT of America are thinking of moving (some states with higher move rates than CA).
And? Is this one of those "we're not actually the worst state for that, there are 1 or 2 other states worse than us!"? LOL. Kind of like you guys do with the whole homeless issue.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
QOL, if you ask anybody from any point on the political spectrum, isn’t getting better. Those on the right think the left is polluting life. Those on the left think those on the right are creating disaster.

Thus: no politicians, right or left, “will finally start improving things.”

And the “reason[s] for voting” any way are tied and limited to the choices available. The right don’t like the left choices and the left don’t like the rights’ choices … and never the twain shall meet in America in modern times apparently. In each mind it all comes down to either fervored ‘True Believing’ … or simply ‘lesser of evils’ decisions.
In the case of CA I think that's actually not true because it's such a lopsided, one party rule type of state. Do you honestly think one-party rule is the same as a more balanced system? Maybe the part of the problem is people like yourself and sleepy have this binary, left vs right only mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California