Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 10:45 AM

6,970 posts, read 8,354,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
You know you hate that sac is still sometimes associated with being part of the "central valley". But as long as it takes away something from Fresno you relish it.

Sac should be its own metro as it's big enough on its own .

Stockton Modesto is clearly still central valley in it's vibe and lifestyle.

There should be a central valley sub PERIOD.

Wtf does Monterey get one
Yes, the San Joaquin Valley deserves its own Forum merely based on its population of 3 million souls.

No I don't "hate" that Sacramento is "associated" with being part of the larger Central Valley. Sacramento in some ways, is the epitome of the Central Valley, and proudly so. It's also the epitome of Northern California, and the epitome of California.

In every aspect, Sacramento is California, historically, economically, politically, demographically, culturally. Geographically, no, it does not have an ocean beach, nor a large mountain. But it has always been naturally connected to the ocean by way of the Sacramento River, and naturally connectedly to large mountains(the Sierras) by way of both the American River and Sacramento Rivers.. Two of the mightiest rivers in California.

Look at a map of California. If California(the map) was a man, where on that map would the HEART be located? Sacramento is, symbolically, the Heart of California. :-)

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-26-2020 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 04:09 PM

234 posts, read 305,855 times
The fact that "Monterey County" has it's own forum and not "Central California" really is kind of mind-boggling. A central California forum which includes Fresno, Bakersfield, Monterey County and SLO County really would be a good one I think. The biggest reason why is because these areas are all truly "Central" California that don't exactly identify with or culturally sync up with other larger regions of the state. That being said, the main "California" forum would probably dwindle in traffic. But the CA forum also seems to attract a lot of stupid political posts. It would be nice for people to be able to go on and post Central-CA themed questions and not have to sift through all the BS.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:42 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,348,347 times
Monterrey County should perhaps be renamed to a more encompassing "Central Coast", which would cover basically the 101 corridor from about Santa Barbara in the south to Monterrey in the north. This would include places like Santa Maria, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, and Paso Robles. All of which are both geographically and culturally distinct from the Central Valley.

A Central Valley forum should/would be more or less Stockton to Bakersfield and would also include Mecred, Fresno, Visalia, Hanford, etc.

Agreed. Why this hasn't been done, I don't know. I once ran a website that used an identical version of VBulletin as this one does. Setting up a new forum/subforum can be done in seconds and the bandwidth consumption is less than negligible.

Especially considering how many of both are already on CD as a whole.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
This would include places like Santa Maria, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, and Paso Robles. All of which are both geographically and culturally distinct from the Central Valley.
Not as much as you think, the Salinas Valley, Santa Maria and Paso Robles are all very Agriculturally oriented. These folks share an appreciation for rural and small town values similar to many parts of the San Joaquin Valley.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:07 AM

Be that as it may, I still think the Central Coast region-what I mentioned, are still sufficiently different that they warrant their own subs. Geography alone.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Be that as it may, I still think the Central Coast region-what I mentioned, are still sufficiently different that they warrant their own subs. Geography alone.
Look at a map, the Central Coast also includes huge areas of FLAT land that to this day remain economically and culturally agrarian. Three fourths of Highway 101 from the Santa Clara Valley to the San Fernando Valley are on FLAT land.

Pastoral California: Santa Clara Valley, Salinas Valley, Nimpomo-Santa Maria Valleys, Santa Ynez Vally, Oxnard Plain, Simi Valley, San Fernando Valley -- all culturally agrarian except for the San Fernando Valley and Santa Clara Valley which were historically agrarian.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Look at a map
I've done better. I've DRIVEN through there. At one time or another, the entire length of the 101 from the 4 level in DTLA as far north as Soledad. I've driven to Morro Bay and other nearby cities from Tulare/Visalia area via 41/46.

I stand behind my original post. I'm not going to argue this kind of pedantry with you, which seems to be more rooted in agriculture and geographic latitude. Yes, there are some similarities, sure. Such as those two aspects. But most of the similarities end there. The Central Valley and Central Coast ARE distinct enough to each warrant their own boards. Your argument is like saying Britain and Italy should be considered one and the same on the basis of both being European and having once had powerful Navies.

But whatever works for you. I'm dropping it here. We have neither here on CD and looks like we never will. So it's all a moot point regardless.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:44 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,480,080 times
Quote:
Agree 100%. Whether or not residents of the smaller agricultural cities participate is almost irrelevant. What’s for certain is if it was the “Central Coast” rather than Monterey County you’d get more than one post since last May.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I've done better. I've DRIVEN through there. At one time or another, the entire length of the 101 from the 4 level in DTLA as far north as Soledad. I've driven to Morro Bay and other nearby cities from Tulare/Visalia area via 41/46.
Well, I've done even better. I've LIVED on the Central Coast, specifically Monterey County. AND, yes, I've driven the ENTIRE length of the 101, many times. And there are as many similarities with the Central Valley and the Central Coast as there are with the rest of California. Also, I've worked in San Luis Obispo.

It's not all the Central Valley vs. the Coast. Southern Californians and Bay Areasn don't get this.

We tend to examine from the point of view of the Central Valley vs. the Central Coast when there as many similarities between the Central Coast and the San Joaquin Valley, as there are differences.

Same applies to the North Coast and the Sacramento Valley.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:42 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,642,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Well, I've done even better. I've LIVED on the Central Coast, specifically Monterey County. AND, yes, I've driven the ENTIRE length of the 101, many times. And there are as many similarities with the Central Valley and the Central Coast as there are with the rest of California. Also, I've worked in San Luis Obispo.
Sorry, I'm not seeing the similarities. And I've lived in both SLO County and Kern County. Is that even better?

You said look at a map. I think you should look again. See the massive size of the central valley? Whereas the valley's on the central coast hardly register on the map.

Also, take a look at this weeks weather forecast.

Bakersfield 8 day high forecast average 104 degrees.

Paso Robles one of the hottest regions of the central coast will average 99 degrees over the next 8 days.

Pretty similar weather right? Only a difference of 5 degrees.

WRONG!

Look at the difference in the 8 day average lows.

Bakersfield avg low 73.

Paso average low 57.

A 16 degree difference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California