Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 04:44 PM

357 posts, read 225,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where did he end up?
He stayed in SW Riverside County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 06:11 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Authorities are saying there are dozens of people missing or can't be accounted for right now. Disabled, elderly living alone, one man reported in the article is in late stage cancer and bedridden. After watching a video posted by a couple driving through the flames, it's clear this fire moved very fast and many couldn't get out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/do...nty/ar-BBPx7K1

Old 11-09-2018, 06:23 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The Enterprise-Record is reporting five known fatalities. The bodies were located in cars in the area of Edgewood Lane.

^^^^^ Around the time that you posted the above, I was at an Apple store looking at the new iPad Pro. I had the News app open and was looking at the stories fed onto the page. The story about the fire also stated that there were five known fatalities.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:48 PM

A statement from PG&E https://www.actionnewsnow.com/conten...500182111.html
Quote:
PG&E released a statement to the California Public Utilities Commission about an incident that occurred near where the Camp Fire started. At around 6:15 a.m. on Nov. 8, PG&E experienced an outage on the Caribou-Palermo 115 kV Transmission Line in Butte County. Later that afternoon, PG&E observed damage to a transmission tower on the Caribou-Palermo 115 kV Transmission line, which is approximately one mile northeast of the town of Pulga, which is where the Camp Fire started.

This information is preliminary and PG&E stated that it will cooperate with any investigations.
Investigators have not yet determined the cause of the fire.
So far, 90K acres burned
5% contained
9 confirmed deaths (all found in the city of Paradise)

35 persons reported missing
260 commercial buildings destroyed
6,453 homes destroyed

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018...riday-updates/

Old 11-09-2018, 08:05 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
So far, 90K acres burned
5% contained
PG&E malfunction might have caused the spark, but it was climate change that made the massive fire possible. Twenty or thirty years ago, when the climate was more normal, this fire would not have spread. By mid-November it would have been colder and wetter; the first winter rains would have arrived, increasing the fuel moisture in the brush and trees, making them hard to burn.

The fingerprints of man-made climate change are all over this. Fire season lasts into November and even December now. Unheard of in the past.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:16 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
So far, 90K acres burned
5% contained

35 persons reported missing
260 commercial buildings destroyed
6,453 homes destroyed

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018...riday-updates/
Crap! This is going to be a new worst.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:09 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
PG&E malfunction might have caused the spark, but it was climate change that made the massive fire possible. Twenty or thirty years ago, when the climate was more normal, this fire would not have spread. By mid-November it would have been colder and wetter; the first winter rains would have arrived, increasing the fuel moisture in the brush and trees, making them hard to burn.

The fingerprints of man-made climate change are all over this. Fire season lasts into November and even December now. Unheard of in the past.
If you're going to go there, you also need to acknowledge that environmentalists have changed how the forests are maintained. The days of controlled burns and clearing out deadfall seem to be gone as it 'might hurt the animals.' So we end up with years of basically kindling just waiting for a spark.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Except they aren't sure yet. May have been a PG&E malfunction or something else. I'm sure investigators will know soon.

I agree with you about the weather and climate, though. Cal Fire doesn't clear the forests like they did once so after a long drought, there's plenty of dry brush which makes the state like a tinder box. Thinking back, the last time my area saw rain was the first week of October and then it was only quarter inch. It's bone dry everywhere in the state and with the high winds that started, the smallest spark was bound to start an inferno. The last time the state had a fire danger warning (couple weeks ago), PG&E shut off power to five counties, Butte being one of them (if I remember correctly). They talked about doing it again with this latest wind but I guess they changed their mind. If this turns out to be PG&E related, they're going to be in a world of hurt and wished they had shut off the power. This is truly horrible.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:39 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,262,034 times
I am so sorry to read about the fires. It looks beyond devastating. I feel guilty that I was complaining about our chilly, wet weather today. I sent a donation to the Humane Society of Ventura County, which is accepting evacuated animals from the Hill and Woolsey fires. If anyone has an organization in the Paradise area, human or animal, to recommend, please let us know.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I am so sorry to read about the fires. It looks beyond devastating. I feel guilty that I was complaining about our chilly, wet weather today. I sent a donation to the Humane Society of Ventura County, which is accepting evacuated animals from the Hill and Woolsey fires. If anyone has an organization in the Paradise area, human or animal, to recommend, please let us know.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ate-volunteer/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California