Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 03:00 PM

94 posts, read 55,017 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

So I am a 17 year old boy that will be going to a conference at Biola University in Mid-July. I actually live in the suburbs of Philadelphia area, so I am not really familiar with Orange County/LA area at all, although I have been once. I will be traveling alone and will not have a car.

I was wondering what are some reasonable options in getting from John Wayne Airport to Biola University, and then back to John Wayne at the end of the conference? The conference at Biola does not provide transportation to and from the airport which definitely makes things harder. However the conference coordinator did recommend taking a certain shuttle, but that is around $30 one way.

I looked at metrolink trains as another option, and it seems to be much more reasonably priced. However I want to know is anyone here familiar with metrolink trains? How does it work exactly? I also looked at the lines, and it appears that it doesn't actually go directly to either John Wayne Airport or Biola, so I'd probably have to take a bus or other options of public transportation between John Wayne and the closest station. However to Biola I could probably walk it in 30 min.

I have never taken metrolink trains before, and I want to ask do they run on a time schedule or just continuously? I tried looking online, but the site is just confusing and I don't understand it 100%. Also can I buy tickets when I get there, or do I need to do that ahead of time? Also how would you rate the SAFETY of metrolink trains on a scale of 1-10 (1 being dangerous, and 10 being safe)? Overall public transportation in general cannot be guaranteed 100% safe, but I am asking because the coordinator of the conference told me that she could not vouch for the safety of metrolinks, and the fact that she had to say that worried me a little bit. Could you please help me in general and let me know all info I need to know in order to take Metrolink Trains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 05:46 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Take Uber or Lyft and use the uber pool/lyft line option if you need to save a few bucks. the train will be a huge hassle and you'll be severely limited by their schedule, not to mention the amount of walking you'll need to do.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:58 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,015 times
I would fly into LAX and then take the Metro Green Line to Norwalk. This would make the Uber ride short.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
I would fly into LAX and then take the Metro Green Line to Norwalk. This would make the Uber ride short.
Already have a flight ticket to John Wayne I am afraid. I had trouble finding good timing for a reasonable price to go to LAX.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:33 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,848 times
Since there isn't a direct Metrolink connection between John Wayne Airport and Biola U, you would have to take a bus from the airport to the Tustin Metrolink Station. Then take the Metrolink Orange County Line from Tustin to the Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs Station and take another bus to La Mirada (Imperial Hwy/Biola Avneue) where you would have to walk the rest of the way.

What time does you flight arrive into John Wayne Airport? There are about 15 departures from Tustin during the week and 4 departure on the weekend.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Since there isn't a direct Metrolink connection between John Wayne Airport and Biola U, you would have to take a bus from the airport to the Tustin Metrolink Station. Then take the Metrolink Orange County Line from Tustin to the Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs Station and take another bus to La Mirada (Imperial Hwy/Biola Avneue) where you would have to walk the rest of the way.

What time does you flight arrive into John Wayne Airport? There are about 15 departures from Tustin during the week and 4 departure on the weekend.
It arrives around 9:30am on a saturday. If I am reading right, I think there is a departure from Tustin around 12:25pm which is the one I'll probably look into.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:51 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPS View Post
It arrives around 9:30am on a saturday. If I am reading right, I think there is a departure from Tustin around 12:25pm which is the one I'll probably look into.
How do you plan to get to Tustin? The iShuttle to Metrolink is only scheduled on weekdays. Taking the $30 direct shuttle to Biola is a much better idea.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:08 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Having airports named after some old movie star is stupid. No one knows where John Wayne Airport is.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:55 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Having airports named after some old movie star is stupid. No one knows where John Wayne Airport is.
I know exactly where it is. I can practically see it from my house. What I don't know is whether it's in Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, or Irvine. LOL.

OP, I really strongly recommend that you use some of the money that you saved by getting a cheaper flight to OC, and get a shuttle or Uber to Biola. You are in for a long miserable day if you have to take a bus, catch a train, pick up another bus, and then walk. Seriously, no one does that here and that's why it is so inconvenient.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:59 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Going to the program, take the shuttle the program/Biola recommends. $30 is reasonable and will save you hassle and time after a long cross-country flight.

At the end of the program, you'll have had time to acclimate to the area, and at that point, you'll probably have made some friends attending the program who you can share a cab with or you may even have met someone who can give you a lift to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California