Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:29 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,806,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
"California tumbles into the sea...."
Gotta listen to Steely Dan more often, folks.
Or the late Warren Zevon:

"And if California slides into the ocean,
Like the mystics and statistics say it will,
I predict this motel will be standing--until I pay my bill..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:31 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,806,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
My oh, my, where to beginning cutting through anti-scientific, ill educated slag.

1) Plates don't sink (basic physics) as would a boat foundering.

2) An oceanic plate can subduct (it's convection driven) since they are basalt (again, basic physics).

3) There are a few instances of land that actually sits on oceanic plates. When such land reaches a subduction zone, the land is squeegeed off of the basalt plate and gets attached to the Continental Plate that the Oceanic Plate is subducting under.

4) While it is true that California west of the San Andreas system is on Oceanic Crust, that part of California will not sink. It will however become part of Alaska - tens of millions of years from now based on 2 in/yr plate motion.

5) Without plate tectonics Earth would be a big ocean, with no continents.
Indeed. If anything, the plate tectonics will push California coastal mountains up a teeny bit.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:44 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,146,311 times
Quote:
My oh, my, where to beginning cutting through anti-scientific, ill educated slag.

2) An oceanic plate can subduct (it's convection driven) since they are basalt (again, basic physics).

3) There are a few instances of land that actually sits on oceanic plates. When such land reaches a subduction zone, the land is squeegeed off of the basalt plate and gets attached to the Continental Plate that the Oceanic Plate is subducting under.

4) While it is true that California west of the San Andreas system is on Oceanic Crust, that part of California will not sink. It will however become part of Alaska - tens of millions of years from now based on 2 in/yr plate motion.

Thank you. You beat me to it.

And #3 is the very reason for the existence of much of coastal California/Coast Ranges. They are called accreted terranes.

Its amazing how much people love to talk about hollywood movie catastrophe disaster scenarios,

but when you tell them about going out toward the actual San Andreas fault zone from Gorman (I-5) to Palmdale and Leona Valley to Wrightwood and the Cajon Pass to look at sag ponds and offset streams, folded rock layers along road cuts and hogback ridges at Mormon Rocks and Devils Punchbowl as evidence of plate movement to actually learn something about the San Andreas fault they look at you with facial expressions of confusion and disinterest. "Don't tell me about boring science and nature and outdoors I just want to know when the world will end."

Old 07-16-2015, 11:53 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,405,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Thank you. You beat me to it.

And #3 is the very reason for the existence of much of coastal California/Coast Ranges. They are called accreted terranes.

Its amazing how much people love to talk about hollywood movie catastrophe disaster scenarios,

but when you tell them about going out toward the actual San Andreas fault zone from Gorman (I-5) to Palmdale and Leona Valley to Wrightwood and the Cajon Pass to look at sag ponds and offset streams, folded rock layers along road cuts and hogback ridges at Mormon Rocks and Devils Punchbowl as evidence of plate movement to actually learn something about the San Andreas fault they look at you with facial expressions of confusion and disinterest. "Don't tell me about boring science and nature and outdoors I just want to know when the world will end."
Well? Are ya gonna tell us or not?

Old 07-16-2015, 12:22 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,336,448 times
Quote:

So...you're telling me that kid on the playground back when I was in 2nd grade was wrong?

No matter. You still can't triple-dog-dare me to stick my tongue to a frozen light pole.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:21 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,464,672 times
Quote:

You mean Weather.com isn't the absolute end-all be-all scientific authority that it says it is? Hmmm....I wonder what that says for their constant believe-in-global-warming-or-you're-stupid articles.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:30 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,405,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
You mean Weather.com isn't the absolute end-all be-all scientific authority that it says it is? Hmmm....I wonder what that says for their constant believe-in-global-warming-or-you're-stupid articles.
Well, for some people it would say global climate change must also be wrong. You know, for the people who haven't a lick of sense nor grasp of logic to know that the two issues have no connection? Others would probably realize each topic requires its own evidentiary proofs. And that global climate change is well documented across the spectrum of knowledgable scientists.

Over and out.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,428,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Indeed. If anything, the plate tectonics will push California coastal mountains up a teeny bit.
Classic example, Loma Prieta quake resulted in a measurable elevation increase for a number of places in Santa Cruz County. That one was a hybrid strike slip - thrust quake.

In The Southland it gets more radical. There are many thrust faults with vast amounts of movement over the past million years. Anyone ever wonder why they can find un-fossilized / barely fossilized clam shells up on top of a 600 foot hill, just north of the Ventura Fwy, between DT Ventura and Rincon?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:34 PM

112 posts, read 131,180 times
Ever watched the movie San Andreas? It's about as predictable as what happened in there.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,432,644 times
At worst a major quake would cause the hills and cliff areas near the coast to slide/collapse into the beach area, including the water of course. The State can't slide into the ocean, but areas close can slide a lot downhill as it were. Still would be a major disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California