Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 11:34 AM

105 posts, read 482,319 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow boardies,

My name is Shante and I'm 22 years old. I've been lurking here and posting a little since September trying to do as much research on MoVal and Cali as possible because I'll be moving out there soon to finish my BA in Biology and maybe even go to Med. school there. I've been out of school for two years and it has been a struggle trying to get back in and even harder trying to pay for it. Since my dad is retiring from the Navy in December, the opportunity has finally presented itself and I will not only be able to go back to school but I will be able to go back for free. I'm way excited and definitely ready to go back.

Anyway, my dad will be hopefully finalizing everything in early December and he has given me 2 options: He could fly one way to BWI and we could drive to Cali in my car or I could fly one way to Cali and he could have my car shipped over. Now the idea of driving across the country is exciting as I have always wanted to take a roadtrip, the only thing I'm worried about is the cost of gas and food. If we drove though I would be able to take everything with me (clothing, tv, textbooks, bookshelf, stereo and more clothes lol). If I opted to just fly over to Cali and have my car shipped that would be good too because I'd get over there a lot faster but then how would I get the rest of my things over there?

I know a few of you have driven across the country and I'd like some advice. Would it be cheaper to drive or fly over and then have my car shipped? Also about how long would a drive from MD to CA take? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 11:51 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,743 times
I shipped my car from the Midwest and flew out to Cali. It would have been much cheaper to drive but it was winter and I would have been alone with 2 small children. In retrospect I should have sold the car and just bought another out here. It was only a few years old but the expense of transporting it and paying to register it here wasn't worth it.
So if you want the experience of driving cross country I'd say go for that.
As far as food expense it doesn't have to be much different than normal since you can bring things in the car to eat, you don't need to pay for restaurants. What you will need to factor in is hotel rooms unless you plan to split driving with your dad and drive non-stop.
I don't know how long it will take since I have never driven coast to coast. Being December I would choose a more southerly route to avoid the chance of winter storms. Post in the travel forum for that info.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:26 PM

635 posts, read 1,746,695 times
Throw away that huge parka honey, because Maryland makes California have tropical winters.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
I shipped my car from the Midwest and flew out to Cali. It would have been much cheaper to drive but it was winter and I would have been alone with 2 small children. In retrospect I should have sold the car and just bought another out here. It was only a few years old but the expense of transporting it and paying to register it here wasn't worth it.
So if you want the experience of driving cross country I'd say go for that.
As far as food expense it doesn't have to be much different than normal since you can bring things in the car to eat, you don't need to pay for restaurants. What you will need to factor in is hotel rooms unless you plan to split driving with your dad and drive non-stop.
I don't know how long it will take since I have never driven coast to coast. Being December I would choose a more southerly route to avoid the chance of winter storms. Post in the travel forum for that info.
How much did it cost you to ship it and register it? I heard that I have to get some kind of emissions test or something once I get there. Is that true? My car is still fairly new it's a 2005 so I don't think I'll be selling it. As far as food I was thinking we could just pack a cooler in the car but I'm sure we'll want to eat out at least once. I haven't given hotels much thought because I think we're just going to drive non-stop. I'll have to ask him about that. But thanks for your input, I'll take a look at the travel forum as well.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Throw away that huge parka honey, because Maryland makes California have tropical winters.
Aside from finally going back to school, that's part of the reason I'm looking forward to it.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 AM

169 posts, read 764,608 times
Driving over 3000 miles non stop is impossible. I just drove down to California (no one that lives here says Cali) from Washington. It was 1200 miles, and it took us four days, driving a U-Haul. Times that by 3 and that is probably how long - give or take- it will take you all.
Driving cross country in the middle of winter is not fun. I used to live in Northern Virginia, and have done it twice. I would opt to fly out. Especially in winter. Having my car shipped from Va to Wa cost 1200, on a carrier. Not too bad.
You will have to get a smog check here. I just did it, cost 39.00.
Good Luck to you. What school will you be attending?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
Driving over 3000 miles non stop is impossible. I just drove down to California (no one that lives here says Cali) from Washington. It was 1200 miles, and it took us four days, driving a U-Haul. Times that by 3 and that is probably how long - give or take- it will take you all.
Driving cross country in the middle of winter is not fun. I used to live in Northern Virginia, and have done it twice. I would opt to fly out. Especially in winter. Having my car shipped from Va to Wa cost 1200, on a carrier. Not too bad.
Well I never said we'd be driving non-stop, the keyword here is roadtrip. Can't really call it a roadtrip if you're driving non-stop and aren't stopping to see the sights. And thanks for the tip, Cali or California, all the same to me. We won't be splitting the driving but I will be helping my dad when he is tired. He's done it once before in the winter only he drove from VA to Washington state. I'm sure we'll be just fine. I just think that cost of shipping my car and flying over to CA and then shipping my things is just too much. It'll be much cheaper and fun to just do the roadtrip. I'm going to do a semester or two at Riverside Comm. College and then transfer to a 4-year University (LA or SD) to finally finish my degree.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:56 AM

7 posts, read 9,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
Certainly not impossible with 2 people. I drove from Central MA to Orlando, Fl (just under 1,300 miles) in a straight shot myself in less than a day (about 20 hours). Depends on how resilient you are. Did it again with another driver and made it to GA before I swapped out. Let him drive for an hour while I napped and then took over another 7 down to Ft. Lauderdale. Looks like OP is looking for a road trip anyways so no worries there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California